View Single Post
06-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Joined in May 2006
6,537 posts
Ianus
Quote:
Originally Posted by umirinbrah View Post
but why stay with wells fargo if I will never get a credit card with them? I can get a secured card with another bank, one that will actually give me a credit card.
Go to the places where you will want their elite credit cards and build credit with them. I hope you have not activated the Wells Fargo secured credit either, because that can also negatively impact your credit history.

I think Chase is actually your best bet to have a long and well-established credit file. Bank of America has been known to regress your credit limit base on use or lack their of. Capital One is great, but they pull your credit report from all three bureaus and you want to limit those hard inquiries. Stay away from Amex since they will likely deny, and Discover because not many places accept their payment services. Although, Discover has probably one of the best rewards secured credit cards and if payment acceptance is not an issue that could be an option for their Discover secured IT card.

Also, if you have some money on the side I would get a credit builder loan from a local credit union with a low APR 4-5%, pay it all off over six months, check your credit score on creditsesame, quizzle or creditkarma and based on your score apply for the safest credit card options. This option in addition to on time payments with a secured credit card will increase your score dramatically over six months to a year.