View Single Post
08-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Joined in Aug 2016
155 posts
jJMOON
Some of you may find this to be a dumb thing to be contemplating on which I understand. But I really need to rant to those who would understand a little bit more than others since we're all in the limbo situation.

Since the beginning of this year, my family have been preparing to move out of the US and to move back to our native country, Korea. We have not booked any tickets but our estimated timeline is to leave by end of this year or early next year (Jan/Feb). My parents sold the house and we're living in an apartment. They run a small business which is also on the listing for sale. Long story short, we're very serious about this decision and moving forward with it.

Anyways, since April my employer have been throwing possible plans of promoting me. Because it was still early in the year with the aim of moving out by end of the year I said I would be happy to take on the new job. It would be another title to add to my resume and a raise, so why not! But as upper management changed plans with the reorg and a team member departing, the plans got delayed. After months of ideas being thrown around, I was offered this week a promotion and to choose from two different position (both same title, different duties, and probably same pay but a raise). It's probably going to take a month or so for me to be officially (and finally) be promoted due to all the bureaucracy involved. This is a great opportunity and definitely would help strengthen my resume during job searching in Korea.

I have not told my employer anything about my status (I do not plan to and don't see the need to) and I have not told my employer that I plan to move. I have a great relationship with my manager which I have expressed frustration over upper management basically delaying my promotion (which I would have left months ago if I wasn't planning to move) but that I am grateful for the opportunities that they're offering me. She shared the same feelings as well and I know that I can trust her. I'm struggling to say yes to the promotion since I'm getting closer to our plan and I know that I wouldn't feel great in saying yes to the promotion knowing that my last day will be in 3-4 months.

I thought over my options and the following are what I came up with:
  1. Maybe stay a little longer so that I can have at least few months more of experience in this position before giving notice - my DACA expire end of June. But knowing that my family has been actively preparing for the move also makes me feel guilty and selfish (I haven't shared this thought yet with them).
  2. Or I could just tell my manager that I don't have a solid timeline but that I do definitely plan to move and that I can't with good conscience take the promotion. This would make me feel less guilty but if I do tell her at this point (which does seem very early) I feel like both of us would end up counting down to my last day which I don't know if this would be helpful for me as I continue my current position. I know that they can't just fire me for telling I'm going to leave in few months (yay Union!).
  3. Just take the damn job for the money and give a month notice. I rather not give 2 weeks notice since my reason for leaving is due to moving to another country. I do think this may leave a bad reputation. Part of me thinks my manager will be understanding but I can't help but worry about this since I need references when job searching in Korea.
I know, I think too much about things and yes I often think at times create problems/stress on my own. I guess I'm kind of curious of what you're thinking and to just get this off my chest.

Lastly, I can't help but also realize I worked damn hard to earn the promotion and I am grateful that they're giving me two options to choose from. I feel valued as a team member and I also feel great that all the hard work has paid off.
I also feel bummed that despite the great opportunity and the privileges, I can't just easily accept due to the impermanence of my current situation in the US. Sure I could renew and stay a little longer. But after all that effort and stress of "wrapping" things up (it was full of drama) and the fear of my parents being deported, I can't easily make the decision to stay either. We made the decision as a family and want to do it together as a family.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for listening.
Post your reply or quote more messages.