View Single Post
12-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Joined in Dec 2009
2 posts
bertg
Hello all, My name is Albert and I currently live in Laredo, TX. It is a small city in south texas, about 150 miles south of san antonio.
Here is my story:
I was born in Monterrey, Mexico. I attended school until about the age of 7, when some relatives convinced my parents to move to the U.S. for a better life. So I went through the challenge of having to find new friends, learn a new language, etc. School was hard for the first few years, but I had the luck of making friends fast, which made me work on my english. I learned fast and soon enough could read, write, and speak english fluently. Life was easy as a kid, nothing to worry about except hang out with friends and have fun. Things started to change around high school, when I was finally old and mature enough to understand the fact that I was not the "same" as my friends. Most of the time I forgot about the fact that I was undocumented, until I had to fill out college applications that required a social security number. So I got through high school and was able to apply to a local university. I was accepted but I was still worried about financing my education. Luckily, my counselor told me about the Texas Grant, that is available to undocumented students. I received the grant and got enough money to pay off my tuition. I even received money back.

To return to the present, I just finished my semester, and am doing good in school. Still, not having a social security number is holding me back from many things that I wish I could do. My parents applied for residency through relatives, although the process has taken a lot longer than expected. My hope right now is that immigration reform paves the way for me and my family to fix our situation.

I have been lucky though, than most other undocumented immigrants. For example, I was able to get a driver's liscence about 3 years ago, and it will not expire for another 3 years. I have recently learned that it is no longer possible to do so, so I consider myself lucky to have been able to get it.

Now for my question: I have seen many people here say that they have a job. I would like to ask for advice on what type of job I may be able to get, that does not require a social security number. I desperately need a job, as the economic situation is putting a lot of strain on my parents, and I feel that I need to help them. Thank you for any advice, and sorry for the long story.
Post your reply or quote more messages.