View Single Post
11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Joined in Nov 2008
10 posts
CAR
At this stage of the political climate, it seems that there are too many pressing and daunting matters in Washington DC to make immigration a core theme in 2009. With the Economy as it is and new policies most likely on the continuation or discontinuation of the War in Iraq/Afghanistan, coupled with what appears to be a war on Health Care reform, I just don't see the likelihood of Immigration making it onto the Congressional floor.

We need more mainstream outlets. We need more national attention. Unfortunately, most who support Dream Act, feel constrained, due to their own migratory status. It's understood. I mean who would want to go out and garnish attention to this issue knowing that at the same time they are 'outing' their migratory status.

This is why I feel that to the pool of current strategies we must incorporate a means of trying to make the issue more mainstream. By that I mean, targeting cultural outlets like, the Oprah Show, the Ellen Show, etc, etc.

How can one do this. I think that if we were able to recollect the stories of the people here, their dreams, their struggles and hopes and have them neatly placed in a book we could begin to try to target a wider audience. In order to get Washington to move, we need to move the people to Washington. Calls to senators help, and maybe a 10 second clip from the local newscast or an article from a newspaper gets some attention. But, nothing like being on Oprah or Ellen to garnish nationwide attention. That is what this issue needs.

Now, I am just throwing this out there. The goal is to compile peoples stories, written by them, in a book. The focus of the book is to show how this new generation of kids are the new civil rights movement. To show how, having been raised here, being in heart and soul and american, they are denied the rights of an american by solely not being born here.

If you are interested or want to contribute with the project or have ideas, feel free to toss a line here and we'll find a way to get in touch. I know the question of earnings will come up. I was thinking of donating all earnings to charity X, to give the book more validity.

Anyway, I started rambling.. What are your thoughts and opinions?
Post your reply or quote more messages.