View Single Post
03-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Joined in Aug 2009
412 posts
Invictus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfy88 View Post
Hey guys. So I found this site a few weeks ago when I was doing research on whether or not an immigrant like me can go to college. I'm 15 years old and a sophomore in high school. I came from Mexico when I was 2 years old. I live in Texas. (I feel like a baby since I've noticed most of you guys are older.) I really do not know where my life is going to be in 2013 when I graduate. My mom since I was in elementary would tell me that I should go to college in Mexico, that it would be much easier. And that then I could come work here. (I want to be a teacher.) I would always tell her that that would just be double the work because when I came back with I'd have to go to college here too. (Am I right?) Anyways, I have really really good grades. I took an AP class in 8th grade (Spanish, how easy xD) and now I'm taking another AP class. When I was picking my schedule for next year I picked AP Enlish and US history. But I start to think, what good will they be? Why am I working so hard if I won't have a lot of hope?
I tend to get embarrassed my situation. The counselors told us about these classes that you can take called "Duel credit" like for example "Duel credit US History" and I wouldn't have to take it my freshman year of college. My friend and I went to go get a form, and the counselor told us she'd help us fill out part of it there. My friend was first and then the counselor got to this part of the packet, looked up, and asked, "are you a U.S citizen?" and my friend said yeah. Then the counselor crossed out that section. I was like ohhh ssshhh, she's going to ask me too, so when she was done with my friend I was like "No it's okay, I thought about it and I'll stick with my AP class." I was just scared. And I think I ruined a big opportunity.
I get sad when all my other friends talk about going to driving school, or what colleges they're planning on going to. When they ask me I always say I don't know, or I haven't thought about it. I get mad at my friends too, though. They have it so so easy, and they take it all for granted. They don't worry about their grades or homework, while I'm working my butt off to get As. They have so many more opportunities than me, opportunities I wish I had.
By what I've read around here, a lot of you guys wish you were younger, I on the contrary wish I was older. You guys already went to college. Each year that passes, it becomes more and more hard to go to college without a SSN. I don't know how the situation will be when it's my turn. To be honest, all of this scares me.
Okay I'm done. Sorry for writing so much. I've just never told anybody this.
You have a chance to leave the US and avoid a 10-year-bar if you are under 18.

Speak to a lawyer before you do anything though.

You can always come back as a student on an F1 visa
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Post your reply or quote more messages.