View Single Post
07-28-2019, 05:58 PM
Joined in Aug 2011
5,676 posts
IamAman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW View Post
So you were not able to have anybody at all to settle down with?
Nope. In my early 20's I worked 18 hour days making chicken scratch under bad conditions so I wasn't exactly the most attractive to 18-21 year old girls who wanted a guy with his own place and slick car. I know it's a generalization but a lot of 18-21 year olds aren't exactly looking to settle down. It didn't help that I wasn't a white Christian living in a conservative part of the country.

I did meet someone in my mid-20s while I was in school and had my best chance at settling down given that many students hadn't become established yet. We dated for 2 years but my not having a green card was always an issue. From day one her parents hated me because of that telling her I was only dating her because of a green card. I couldn't get a normal job with my situation so I had to work a lot and not be there for some events and they used that to pile on too and eventually she met someone else while she was on a trip...that I found out about and then I was blamed for her cheating.

After a year or two of getting over her, I was meeting people but either I couldn't see myself with them or the other way around. I suppose if I knew this is where I was heading I would have played the game more but I never thought it'd come to this. The Dream Act was in the talks as well as other immigration reforms and I was still thinking I had time.

Now days if I meet someone decent the first question they ask is "what do you do?". It's over after that. Not always but enough times for it to get really old. Now and then I meet someone and it goes a few dates but it ends due to its own natural course.
Mid-40's dreamer (yeah, time flies), aged out of original DACA and didn't have a chance to apply for extended DACA after Republicans killed it on the vine. Have family petition that is now officially current but with past skeletons, is risky to move forward with AOS. Life is on hold for now until laws and/or government becomes more friendly. Life kind of sucks at the moment but like Al Bundy and the mighty cockroach, I survive.
Post your reply or quote more messages.