View Single Post
09-28-2019, 06:15 PM
Joined in Aug 2011
5,677 posts
IamAman
This is a big ruling which at least for now provides protection against expedited removal. The short version is that in the past if someone was suspected of being undocumented within 100 miles to a land border, and they couldn't prove they had been here for the last 2 years, had lied about citizenship, etc. they would be on the fast track (2 weeks) to being deported without getting a hearing.

The rule change the current administration had enacted would make that be the case for ANYWHERE in the US. If someone picked up in LA and they couldn't prove A. they were here legally, or they couldn't prove they had been here for 2 years continuously, bam! On the bus.

Remember that legal immigrants who aren't citizens also have to have proof of their legal status on them at all times. One of the lawyers I listen to often also had mentioned keeping a copy of their lease and electric bills on them in case they were ever picked up. Hell,I scanned like 12 years' worth of bills and kept the pdfs on the cloud just in case.

I guess it doesn't hurt to have that stuff ready to go in case the Dream Act is passed but still, it took some effort to go through a big box of old bills going back to the 90's.
Mid-40's dreamer (yeah, time flies), aged out of original DACA and didn't have a chance to apply for extended DACA after Republicans killed it on the vine. Have family petition that is now officially current but with past skeletons, is risky to move forward with AOS. Life is on hold for now until laws and/or government becomes more friendly. Life kind of sucks at the moment but like Al Bundy and the mighty cockroach, I survive.
Post your reply or quote more messages.