View Single Post
04-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Joined in Oct 2013
10 posts
EmEm
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouMaySayImADreamer View Post
No worries about that, there have been other cases of EWI's that got in just fine!

I would just recommend having an answer ready if they ask if you're going to adjust status. In my case, I don't have any pending applications with USCIS but I told them I would apply through my parents once they became citizens. If you don't have anyone in your family who could eventually legalize you, at least make up a story and say you are engaged to a citizen and will be getting married soon or something. I think they just want to hear that you have a plan.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
hey!! I just wanted to say THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for posting your entire process. your post gave me the inspiration to try and everything went through smoothly.
here is my experience

HI EVERYONE!!

I just returned from Colombia using Advance Parole. Everything was really smooth!
I wanted to provide my experience in detail in case you are also thinking of traveling and to help demistify some of the things that I was really worried about. hope you find it helpful

Personal Info:

-DACA Approved
-Advance Parole Approved for humanitarian reasons (my father's illness)
- traveled through: Boston Logan International Airport, making a stop in Miami Intl, then Medellin, Colombia
- traveled with: Colombian passport
- additional info: have been in the US since the age of 12, visa expired. obviously accruing unlawful presence and subject to the 10-year ban for adminissability
how I am currently waiting to adjust my status: my mother is a US citizen. I applied for an I-130 and is currently pending. I am over 21 so my wait time for approval of greencard is quite long

Experience:

Leaving the U.S:
Leaving the US was a breeze and the AP documents are not needed. all you have to do is show your colombian passport to the airline and go through smoothly.

Returning to the US:
- arrived at medellin's airport 3-hours before my flight anticipating delays of airline agents that did not understand Advance Parole (AP) and how to process paperwork. when the airline agent took my password and the AP to provide me the boarding pass for my flight, she called her supervisor, who quickly read through the document and told her how to fill out the information to print my boarding pass. he told her that in the future, to pay specific attention to the start and end dates on the AP document as they can only let you on the plane if you arrived and departed before it expired. Everyone was super nice in Medellin's intl airport.

NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU KEEP BOTH AP DOCUMENTS. IMMIGRATION WILL NEED THEM BOTH WHEN YOU ARRIVE IN THE US - THEY KEEP ONE AND YOU KEEP THE OTHER. in your home country, make sure the airline makes a copy of the doc and do not keep your original. if they ask, let them know that immigration in the US needs both to parole you in. YOU NEED THE ORIGINALS!!!!

In medellin I had to show my AP documents to the airline, immigration in colombia and also before boarding my plane. keep them handy as you'll need to present it everytime you present your passport.

on the plane you are given a customs paper to fill out. make sure you fill it out, as it is required and immigration will ask you for it.
After I arrived in Miami, everyone has to go thorough immigration. unlike some of the other cases I have read, it took me about 1 hour and 30 minutes to go through immigration so make sure if you have a connecting flight, you have at least a good 2-3 hour layover so you can make it.
I went through the visitors/greencard holders line. my mother, who is a US citizen was also in the line with us and there were no issues for this. though my mother gave a sense of security, it did not seem like it mattered at all, as she wasnt asked any questions.
when I finally got to the immigration officer's booth, he took my fingerprints on the left and right hands (everyone has to do it), took my custom's paperwork the airline had given me and asked me "why are you a parolee" I explained that I was approved AP through deferred action also known as the dream act for humanitarian reasons. that was the only question he asked me. he then took my passport, custom document, and AP and called an officer to take me to another room for further verification of paperwork. I knew this was a normal practice basedon other postings I had seen on this site.
everyone was really nice and curteous. many of them were cubans and spoke to me in spanish.
in the room, I waited with my mom (they allowed her to come with me) for about 45 minutes. during that time,. they were checking a ton of things on the computer but I never found out what they were looking for. they then called my name and gave me back my passport with a stamp that said paroled until next year and a stamp on one of the AP documents I was allowed to keep. they placed the stamp on the right hand corner in the blank box.

they did not ask me any questions or asked me to sit wih them. they simply called me when the docs were ready.

I then got on my miami-boston flight smoothly.

I was so relieved at how easy it was!!!!!!! hopefully this will ease your worries of traveling once you've been approved for AP.

Good luck!

ps. remember to travel ONLY any day between the approved dates. you''ll be stuck in your country if you try to depart after it has expired

Hi there,
sorry for the late reply of this. [i wrote the original post]
oF course, I actually fileld out all the paperwork myself.
The bottom line is this --> they don't know you and don't know your case, therefore, you need to prove to them EVERYTHING including, that you are you (a copy of a legal document that proves that you are you), proof that the person you claim to be your father is your father (a legal, translated doc by an official translator like a birh certificate, and officilal doctor's documentation that explains his illness, translated to english.
also, remember that these are immigration officers and NOT doctors, so I also sent copies of explanations of the illness my dad has from a reputable site online webMD that explained his illness in detal.

I followed the instructions for the application to the T (meaning I read it over and over again) and made sure my packet was organized, like a story, so the immigration officers had an easy time understanding it.

here are the isntructions to the application. READ THEM SLOWLY. you'd be applying for #3 advanced parole http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/f...i-131instr.pdf

-I first proved that I was who I said I was
- I then proved that my father was my fatehr with a copy of the spanish birth certificate and a translation attached to it from a reputable translating company
- I then proved his illness - provided copies of doctor's paperwork explaining his diagnosis. I included the spanish copies and the english translations
- I then proved that the illness was serious by providing an explanationo of the illness dfrom a reputable site (webmd).
- I then explained the reason why I needed to travel to see him (to help locate good medical care for him)
- note that the instructions say sending copies is ok. I NEVER SENT ANY originals in case they got lost.

my application was approved the first time around ==> it took about two months for it to go through.

let me know if you have any other questions

oh and ps. I worked for 1 year with an immigration attorney so that's how I learned to be methodical in submitting applications
Post your reply or quote more messages.