View Single Post
12-15-2010, 11:03 AM
From Dallas, TX
Joined in Oct 2010
1,145 posts
cooltalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vieroska View Post
I personally just know what I heard in the news but I'm now doing research on it and is very interesting and I would like to help with anything so that the Dream Act can come alive!!
Here are some facts about he Dream Act, since you are researching.

* The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has reported that the Dream Act will add $1.4 billion to the economy.
* The Dream Act doesn't put the dreamers ahead of citizens and legal immigrants. The Dream Act doesn't qualify an applicant for in-state tuition, federal grants or ANY government benefits. These applicants would have to wait 13 years to become citizens, that is not something you can call amnesty.
* The new House version requires applicants to pay a $525 application fee, and after five years they would have to pay another $2000 for an extension of 5 years. If a million people apply than $2,525,000,000 would go in the funding of the Dream Act.
* The new version has also drops the age limit from 35 to 29.
* The notion that the dream act is not needed because illegals can already serve in the military to legalize is NOT true. Under the current standards, you have to be a permanent resident to enroll. The Dream Act is actually needed to let these kids enroll in the armed forces.
* The opposition seems to be worried about the chain migration issue however, the parents would have to go back to their country for 10 years after their child has sponsored them. So this would take at least 23 years before anyone could be sponsored.
* Applying for the Dream Act does NOT mean an applicant cannot be deported even if she or he is a criminal. The act simply states that an applicant cannot be deported simply for coming out of the “shadows” at the time of the application (which is common sense).
* To qualify an applicant must have VERIFIABLE proof that she or he has been in the United States for more than 5 years, so immigrants who come after the enactment of the bill would not qualify. We do not need to wait for border enforcement! If you don't have verifiable proof, then you wouldn't qualify.
Post your reply or quote more messages.