View Single Post
05-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Joined in Apr 2012
665 posts
immigration truth
I know this is from a blog, but the man is pretty informed of the entire immigration policy discourse and he has pretty interesting views, I'd like to know all of your thoughts on his article.

http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/201...ream-bill.html

Marco Rubio hasn't presented a written version of his promising sounding DREAM Act, but he's already making excuses for it going nowhere. According to The Hill,

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said the White House is trying to sabotage his version of the DREAM Act by “ordering” activists not to work with him so that President Obama can maintain his hold on the Latino vote in the 2012 election.

“One of the things that already been documented is that the White House has been — the articles that have been written, two or three by now, the White House has been calling in DREAM Act advocates and asking them, almost ordering them, not to work with me on this issue,” Rubio said Thursday on the Laura Ingraham radio show. “They have been counting on using this issue as a wedge issue in October to drive up turnout.”

What I think is really happening is that Rubio would like to be able to portray Democrats as secretly not being interested in moving forward on the issue of finding a legal status for this sympathetic population and mainly being interested in cultivating Latino votes.

Senator Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) wasn't going to sit back and fall in to that trap, however. He's challenging Reid to put up or shut up by actually releasing language for his bill. What I'm guessing would happen is that Reid would then actually force the bill's consideration (with or without Rubio's sponsorship). When Democrats overwhelmingly support it and Republicans largely vote no, it would be hugely embarrassing for the GOP who will be perceived as being against even Republican written pro-immigration bills.

That's why I'm pretty sure we're not going to ever see Rubio's language. I think Rubio was counting on Democrats opposing his measure. Now that this is not playing out according to script, I'm betting that we never see this bill. Hope I'm wrong.

I hope he's wrong too. Thoughts?
Last edited by immigration truth; 05-15-2012 at 03:12 PM..
Post your reply or quote more messages.