View Single Post
08-15-2019, 07:27 AM
Joined in Feb 2012
311 posts
jessebrenele
Hello friends, I come to ask on behalf of my cousin who is going back to college. She intends to transfer from her local CC to a Uni, therapy major, and she's so close.

She's had a year break but upon returning, she was marked and classified as a non-resident by her college.

She cannot get any fee waiving help. At least in California, she should still be within FAFSA or a BOG Waiver/AB 540 boundaries right?

How can she be classified as non-resident if she has an SS number, but how can she be considered student aid if she's quite not a resident yet? (DACA)

This is what many friends in LA and others here have done, it helped them tremendously as non-residence tuition is disproportionately high.

She has tried sorting it out and perhaps the last chance is a plea for counselor. Question is, what should she even say?

I'm guessing she entered her DACA SS number and the system created a duplicate, but she's used this number ever since getting it. The other problem is, she also had units before her DACA days.

This does sound like something the college should take care of, but she's tried many times only to have their staff scratching their heads. That is why I came to ask here, can anyone advise or share any thoughts?
Post your reply or quote more messages.