View Single Post
01-13-2020, 10:39 AM
Joined in Aug 2011
5,680 posts
IamAman
I had to skim through that halfway though because it was pretty incoherent and angry. I get the gist of what you're saying, but a lot of it is a straw man argument and your righteous indignation is misplaced.

First off, we are among friends here (more or less) so whatever feelings we have towards our fellow immigrants needing to learn English comes from a good place and is genuinely meant for our fellow immigrants to have better lives. When a guy at a Trump rally says "Speak English", it's coming from a place of hate and he is just grasping at any straw to project that hatred and the most convenient thing is the language. If it wasn't the language, it'd be something else.

In your own story of the Lyft driver, do you really think that us "nativists" would have been unkind to a lady working a shitty job to put food on her table or tell her "Go back to where you came from until you learned English"?

I was going to have a 2nd and 3rd point but have stuff to do but essentially, it's not asking much of people to make an effort to learn the language of the country they're living in and want to stay in. The immigrant will be the one who benefits the most if they do. Nobody is saying be mean. Nobody is saying learn it perfectly without an accent or head bobbing. Nobody is saying not to speak your language among others.
Mid-40's dreamer (yeah, time flies), aged out of original DACA and didn't have a chance to apply for extended DACA after Republicans killed it on the vine. Have family petition that is now officially current but with past skeletons, is risky to move forward with AOS. Life is on hold for now until laws and/or government becomes more friendly. Life kind of sucks at the moment but like Al Bundy and the mighty cockroach, I survive.
Last edited by IamAman; 01-13-2020 at 10:43 AM..
Post your reply or quote more messages.