View Single Post
07-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Joined in Aug 2011
5,677 posts
IamAman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Ok sure criminals with removal orders, that's not too bad, assuming they are actually criminals who have committed some serious crimes.

but this all reminds me of that "first they came for X then they came for Y" etc. you know that saying.

boiling a frog essentially, and it does work.
I think even the most hardcore of pro immigration people would agree that going after actual criminals is a good idea and let's face it, those criminals often target other immigrants. That's not what this is though.

They are going after those with removal orders and while on the surface it might seem like "well, good, they deserve it", it's not the whole story. If someone had a removal order 6 months ago and they haven't really got established here then sure. We could argue that they might have not gotten a fair shake in the court, they had a shitty or no lawyer, etc. but at the end of the day, we could also argue that they've only been here one or two years and they can move on with their life.

The problem however is that there are people who have removal orders going back decades, especially Dreamers who have them, including some people on here, ahem. For someone who has been here 30 years, this would absolutely destroy their life. They will be left with nothing.

Add to that the fact that ICE is not very accurate. This isn't a precision strike. They'll go in an apartment complex, block off all the exits and start knocking on doors and whoever is unlucky enough to be walking around will get caught in the net - whether someone has a removal order, was EWI, overstay, left their green card at home, or even a citizen who is brown and can't prove on the spot they are a citizen.

I say all this because it's horrifying to see fellow dreamers who have a little bit of protection with DACA dismissing this as "Oh, this is just those other illegals. Fucking losers". but you're right, it's definitely a case of "First they came for X...."

If you have DACA protection and no removal order than god bless you, but have some sympathy for all the lives that are disrupted.

One of my relatives has a Latino family living next door. There is a bunch of them that live in the house and are very proud of that house because they're always doing some sort of project in the back yard and they're kind of annoying because they often have family over with very loud music till late on weekends but they are enjoying their lives and are happy.

When this ICE business was supposed ot happen a couple of weeks ago, they seemed to have disappeared for that weekend. I'm betting at least one of them has some immigration issues. They came back again and now it seems like they're gone again. These are human beings who are afraid of being in their own home. Their lives are fully interrupted, who knows what's happening with work or whatever else they have gone on. This is tragic. No human should live in fear like this.
Mid-40's dreamer (yeah, time flies), aged out of original DACA and didn't have a chance to apply for extended DACA after Republicans killed it on the vine. Have family petition that is now officially current but with past skeletons, is risky to move forward with AOS. Life is on hold for now until laws and/or government becomes more friendly. Life kind of sucks at the moment but like Al Bundy and the mighty cockroach, I survive.
Post your reply or quote more messages.