View Single Post
11-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Joined in Aug 2011
5,677 posts
IamAman
When my driver's license situation was ok, even without DACA I never really feared the cops because I knew in my city, they were not doing immigration checks. This was also because whenever I had gotten a ticket, I had made damn sure to take care of it.

If you get pulled over, pull over to a safe spot or if you're in a bad spot at least acknowledge that you're going to pull over. Once pulled over, do no move or reach for anything. Don't worry about your license or wallet then until the officer gets there. Keep your hands on the steering wheel and lower the window. Be polite and address him/her as officer . Better yet, if you're familiar with the rankings, address them by that since it shows you're familiar with them and it's a sign of respect. http://www.careerpoliceofficer.com/P...insignias.html explains more. anyway, all I can say is don't do anything stupid. If you need to reach for something, just ask "I need to reach in my console to get my wallet".

Other random advice:
Be honest. If you've had a drink, don't lie and say you didn't because they can sniff it and if you lie, your ass will be going to jail. I knew a guy who went to jail for that. When I was 24, I was out with this girl in my class who had never been to a bar. She also had a boyfriend and I later found out they were swingers and I was faced with a moral decision (I took the moral path in case you're curious and things didn't get too weird). Anyway, we went to a bar and I got a single beer and showed her around. About 45 minutes we were going somewhere and I forgot to turn on my headlights and a cop pulled me over.

He was a pissed off cop too because apparently he was signaling at me to turn on my lights and I didn't see it. Then he sniffed the beer on my breath and said "Have you been drinking?!" I said yes, I had one Shiner Bock at XXX. He looked at her and asked her where she lived and she mentioned the dorms at our University. He then looked at me and the white girl and took pity on me and told me "I'll let you go with a verbal warning, but next time you see an officer flash his lights at you, don't ignore it!"

Another time with another white girl a few months later (this one was bipolar but that's another funny story), we went to see Ministry in concert. This one also had a boyfriend but she referred to him as her room-mate (ok I was still figuring things out)...and a block away from her apartment, I rolled a stop sign and sure enough, a cop pulled us over.

He was just in disbelief: "You saw me parked right there! Did you roll the stop sign to try to test me??"
"No officer! I swear, I'm not an idiot!"
He looked at the white girl who had gone from giggling and distracting me to about to freak out (Did I mention she was bipolar?) and let us go with a warning and told me "I'll let you go, but next time you see an officer parked 20 feet away from you, don't run the stop sign".

So I guess what I'm trying to say is if you're going to get pulled over, it helps to have a white girl with you.
Mid-40's dreamer (yeah, time flies), aged out of original DACA and didn't have a chance to apply for extended DACA after Republicans killed it on the vine. Have family petition that is now officially current but with past skeletons, is risky to move forward with AOS. Life is on hold for now until laws and/or government becomes more friendly. Life kind of sucks at the moment but like Al Bundy and the mighty cockroach, I survive.
Post your reply or quote more messages.