View Single Post
12-31-2008, 08:25 PM
From New York City
Joined in May 2007
1,249 posts
RahmanIV
^I second what lilbawler says.

The word "visitors" has a double meaning in regards to licensing and residency. In the case of U.S. citizens and permanent residents it means simply visiting the state, as in just temporarily living in California while you maintain your primary residence in another state.

For foreigners, the term "visitors" means actually having the legal right to visit the country, i.e. having a temporary visitor visa. As such, California is one state that allows these "visitors" to drive without obtaining a California license.

In both of the above scenarios, the visitor must have a valid license from their home state or home country.

I think it would be a big thing in the news if California had a loophole that allowed the undocumented to drive legally. Since there hasn't been any such news, I don't think its possible. However, you're welcome to contest it in court. Let us know what happens. I'm sure a lot of our members are interested in the outcome.

And also FYI, cops don't know all of the rules and regulations regarding driver's licenses.
I am not an immigration attorney nor do I have any experience litigating immigration cases. As always, seek professional advice before pursuing any course of action. I cannot be held accountable for any consequences of my comments.
Post your reply or quote more messages.