View Single Post
01-08-2020, 04:11 PM
Joined in May 2016
4,071 posts
DogJuiceMan
I don't care if the parts used to have any linguistic ties to any other place. The United States has English as the default language. It is the language you are expected to know, understand, and write across all 50 states and disenfranchised territories and possessions. I would not go to Mexico and expect Mexicans to bend over backwards for me because I don't have a command of Spanish. They would be more likely to tell you to go fuck yourself.

Some areas are of an exception due to how strongly the area has ties to another language, for example Puerto Rico, but they still have a broad push over there towards English language acquisition. Even in Puerto Rico 72% "Speak English less than 'Very well' ." Meaning they have a significant and non-trivial command over the English language.

Let us skip the bullshit touchy feely liberalism, we all know they are talking about Spanish speaking Mexicans, and the minor and insignificant war torn nations like El Salvador, Guatamala, and Hondouras.

The problem with allowing one area to get by with one language is that it increases division amongst peoples. Language is supposed to unify us into one. Its supposed to help increase the cultural assimilation. How can you have civic participation if there is no common language? How can you access government services and communicate what you want if nobody there speaks Spanish? But if you let them continue to use their foreign languages without learning English as well then they will continue to have barriers to their success and advancement. I am not saying lets forget Spanish, I am saying they should have a sufficient mastery of the English language in order to properly assimilate into the United States.

Not knowing English in America is a significant barrier to success and financial achievement in the United States. 98% of trade and business in the United States is conducted using the English language. Virtually all universities conduct business in English, teach classes in English, and expect competency in the English language. Most Americans don't even know another language, they only know English.

On top of that to make matters worse, many Americans are barely able to have a proper command of the English language. They speak in a matter more primitive savages, than that of civilized peoples. A bastardization of the American language known as Ebonics and to a lesser degree American Deep South English.

I think, and have provided ample evidence for why English must be a strict and significant requirement, except for the elderly, and those above the age of 60-70, English should be a national requirement across all parts of the United States. To gain citizenship you should have fluency in the de-facto language of the country. You would not go to Mexico without a command of Spanish, or to China without knowing at least enough Mandarin to get by.

You do not have to lose your domain of Spanish, your cultural identity, Ebonics, dialects, or language to have fluency in proper English due to a condition in humans known as "bilingualism" where a person can retain more than one language. Some humans are even capable of retaining multiple languages.

In summary, the English language should be the common uniting language across the American nation. Domain over the English language provides increased access to employment, financial resources, and increased Educational opportunity. Allowing people to remain Spanish only places significant barriers towards advancement and realization of personal goals, increasing the likelihood of poverty.