Thread: Defeatism
View Single Post
11-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Joined in Oct 2008
373 posts
Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenhope View Post
1) I think UnMa's point was that we're being a bit presumptious about conceding provisions a bit to prematurely. We should be working on lobbying those persuadables by giving them good reasons to back up the provisions already written within the bill, not trying to figure out how to write the bill.

2) You aren't going to persuade a Sessions, Vitter, DeMint and co. from filibustering the DREAM Act, no matter what, it'll always be amnesty to them. DREAM is always going to have a filibusteree.

3) WE DO NOT QUALIFY FOR FINANCIAL AID!!! I repeat, WE DO NOT QUALIFY FOR FINANCIAL AID under the DREAM Act. And furthermore, as soon as DREAM as signed, we don't just magically get granted citizenship on the spot. PLEASE READ THE BILL before suggesting amendments to it.

4) Then we should stick to lobbying for it and convincing why the bill in it's present form is acceptable and fair to us.

You're right btw, no one is advocating a defeatist attitude, but some people are sure acting like gutless cowards full of hopeless fear, when we just got a gift securing a POTUS that supports us and increasing our majority lead in both chambers.
I am well aware of the no financial aid part, I was just pointing out that things like that could really kill the bill. We don't need people like Sessions, Vitter, DeMint, and co. I think if Harry Reid calls their bluff, it could very well backfire on the senators who do filibusters. Make them stand there 24/7 for as long as they like. However, this is unlikely to happen because I just don't think the politicians care about us THAT much. As for the citizenship, I think it's safe to say that Dream would be more palatable if we just stick to permanent residency status.
Post your reply or quote more messages.