View Single Post
11-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Joined in Apr 2009
617 posts
gebodupa
Quote:
If Dream Act passes during lame duck session, what about our parents and family members who aren't eligible under Dream Act who have to adjust their status as well?
Call me selfish or whatever, at this point in my life I don't really care, but our parents were adults when they made the decision to come to this country and should be able to live with the consequences. Most of them(and us) came here in the 90s when adjusting status was way way easier, some of them got 245i but were too incompetent to properly take advantage of it. Hell they can become politically active too and try to do something to advance their own cause.

I doubt any of them feared for their lives; hell the situation in Mexico now is way worse than it was back in the day. They came here because they wanted a better life, and as adults they should have tried to provide that for themselves.

While I would want CIR for my family, this is a Dream Act forum after all. I don't consider myself an immigration activist, but a DA activist and my first and foremost concern is the passing of the Dream Act. It is fine to support CIR and Dream Act, because up until recently they were meant to be part of one reform bill, but you have to be realistic and realize that CIR has no chance of passing for some time and any energy spent on advancing it could be much better spent on getting DA on the Senate floor

We have a tiny window of opportunity for DA and the fact that people are still mentioning CIR literally makes my skin crawl. Dems weren't able to do it with a supermajority in the House and 1 short of supermajority in the Senate. What makes you think that in this session of Congress we're gonna do any better.
Post your reply or quote more messages.