View Single Post
11-01-2008, 02:10 PM
From Texas
Joined in May 2007
603 posts
free2be
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo610 View Post
Yes, I am Calvinist so whatever happens Tuesday, God let it happen so it would be part of His plan. However, that doesn't mean Christians shouldn't vote, we should still participate and do our part, yet take comfort that God is in control. Most churches try to separate politics from the church, it's too much controversy and doesn't have place in the church.

As for who is comfortable voting Obama? Pro-choice democrats, anyone who is pro-life would have difficulty voting for Obama.

And Yes, Free2be, some terrible minority of Christians and other religions do believe in condemning them to hell. However, this is true that most churches do not condemn them for being homosexual. To most of us it is just another sin. I am a sinner and I sin all the time. I am no better than a homosexual, nor would I get into heaven any easier than a homosexual. That is completely biblical and most churches will teach that.

It is sadly due to homophobia that some churches or religions "ban them to hell." I apologize on behalf of those churches because they had no right saying such things, we are all sinners and we are not better than anyone else, just forgiven. God's message of salvation goes out to everyone, that Jesus died for our sin on the cross, even the homosexuals.
I understand exactly what you're saying, but what I was trying to ask (sorry if I wasn't clear) is that how can Christianity or any other religion claim to be forgiving and accepting, and then turn around and oppose gay marriage? It is not in anyone's place to make a person's personal life your business.

Whether someone is allowed to marry someone else should be between those two people; that decision does not belong in the public eye or in a court of law. That is why I asked about separation of church and state. Obviously, the lines have been crossed when it comes to gay marriage.

People oppose gay marriage supposedly b/c it goes against their religious beliefs or the Bible condemns it etc. My issue doesn't lie with the fact that people oppose it, b/c I believe all are entitled to their opinion. What I do take issue with is that that opposition has found its way into the word of law, where it does not belong. Not everyone in this country is religious, therefore not everyone sees gay marriage as being "against the word of God," and therefore gay marriage should not be prevented by law.

It's one thing for a church to refuse to marry two gay people; it is an entirely different matter for the government to mandate that two gay people cannot get married. An obvious contradiction of separation of church and state. Even if one argued that the church and state should be together, not everyone believes in the church, so that idea would go against majority/minority rule.

So you see, I think you (or anyone else) is entitled to whatever opinion you hold on gay marriage and other issues. What bothers me is why does your religion get to be the basis of law when it comes to gay marriage? Not everyone is Christian, so why is it fair for the government to use a religious argument as a basis for law?

I know that's a big question, and I don't really expect an answer, but I do want to be clear that I'm not attacking the tenets of your religion; I just think the influence that your religion has is unfair. I don't mean any of this in an offensive way, but hopefully you can see why some of your previous comments (not just marriage specifically) may have rubbed people the wrong way.

Post your reply or quote more messages.