View Single Post
03-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Joined in Aug 2007
91 posts
juanybear17
Hey everyone,

For those who don't know me I'm Juan Gomez, and I've been a member for almost two years. For those who do know me sorry for the long hiatus, but its time to get things rolling again and I know i can depend on you guys.

First of all, I'm at Georgetown now which means I have the capitol at my disposal. My lawyers and I have been in contact with Durbin and Senator Reid. Today I met with Senator Reid's staff and we had a strategy meeting concerning the DREAM Act.

It was supposed to be reintroduced tomorrow, but events like the AIG have postponed it until Thursday. They were confident that it would be introduced this week though. It will be introduced as a stand alone, but unfortunately they told me that what the Senators are really pushing for is CIR. They are using DREAM as a catalyst for further immigration reform. They want it to encourage the house to revisit CIR over the summer and then hopefully a bill will pass by early fall. The month I got was September.

I know this may be a bit of a blow, but experience has shown us that it was not going to be that easy. They told me that the time to organize is now. Starting with thanking Senator Durbin for introducing the bill. Then concentrated efforts aimed at specific Senators we could sway (they'll tell me which Senators are on the fence). They also thought demonstrations were great if we spaced them out right in the coming months.

One last thing, I'll be meeting Harry Reid soon and they thought it would be a good idea to mention some DREAM students from Nevada. So if anyone here is from Nevada and doesn't mind sending me a short story about their struggles as DREAM students I would appreciate it.

I'll do my best to utilize resources here on the hill.
Last edited by juanybear17; 03-23-2009 at 08:12 PM..
Post your reply or quote more messages.