View Single Post
03-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Joined in Aug 2011
5,677 posts
IamAman
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSenior View Post
I understand that it would be a really hard choice but the alternative just seems like a nightmare. I mean the thought of spending half of my life in the US as an undocumented immigrant seems terrifying, especially when you had little control in the mess to begin with. It just doesn’t seem worth it in any way. But I get the hind sight thing. Congress needs to get its act together and just give us a complete yes or a complete no so we all can get on with our lives.
If in 1986 when we were just paroled out of the INS, we were told "your family is going to be apart for 20 years and then broken apart and that kid right there in particular is going to be illegal for 35 years and never live to his full potential", I'm sure other decisions would have been made.

Even in my early 20's if I was told "The Dream Act will fail;your girlfriend will leave you for a guy in LA; there's going to be a terrible attack in NY that will turn the country very anti-immigration reform; and just when you have hope; Republicans will sue the black guy who extended DACA to include you - no seriously; a black guy is going to be president! I know, seriously, it's gonna happen!; and as a final insult, Trump is going to be president" I would have also made some different choices.

But we don't know. You guys don't know either. Maybe in 5 years we're still talking about this. What's the alternative?
Mid-40's dreamer (yeah, time flies), aged out of original DACA and didn't have a chance to apply for extended DACA after Republicans killed it on the vine. Have family petition that is now officially current but with past skeletons, is risky to move forward with AOS. Life is on hold for now until laws and/or government becomes more friendly. Life kind of sucks at the moment but like Al Bundy and the mighty cockroach, I survive.
Post your reply or quote more messages.