View Single Post
08-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Joined in May 2006
6,539 posts
Ianus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JstAnotherDreamer View Post
Ianus, You are correct. Once I land I will be a PR. There is a time limit, they give you 1 year to land, So I have till 11/2013 to actually do my landing. The landing status happens as soon as I enter Canada and speak to the immigration officer upon Landing. You do not have to stay in Canada to receive the PR card, the only requirement is to provide a Canadian address once you land and fill out paperwork with the immigration officer. They mail you the PR card in 30 days to the address provided. The only time you might have to go to CIC is if the PR card is lost in the mail. Since I have family there and can provide their information to mail the card. I am not worried about my entrance in Canada nor my PR as I know it will be secured once I land. I am afraid of what might happen when I am trying to return to US. I hope you are correct though, that CBP will only be concerned about the documentation needed to return to US. I feel like I am gonna be taking a huge risk because I am going to leave everything as is here in the US. I am just really scared that they might not let me back in.
As mentioned,the US doesn't care about your potential PR in Canada only about you meeting the requirements for staying and entering legally inside the US.The only thing that would be of concern is if a crime was committed abroad OR if you stood beyond the time period of AP.It is interesting,but many years ago even a Canadian PR w/commonwealth citizenship were allowed entry visa free into the US prior to the 9/11 attacks...but that does not happen anymore.The only time you should be worried I think is if the Congress passes an immigration bill which will likely have some US residency requirements in staying here.There are some individuals that I've read on the H1B forums who basically gave up their Canadian PR after having gotten a US green card due to satisfying the requirements for naturalizing in both countries as being problematic due to moving every ~6 months each year.

The only thing I would suggest is if you have approved AP and DACA is to be conscious of the date you leave and enter the US and have the paperwork to prove it just in case.