View Single Post
09-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Joined in Nov 2010
1,203 posts
CB124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenoch24 View Post
I dont know which tread to ask you this but:

What is the cost of living over there vs what you get paid.

Since you work at a university how hard is it to get admitted, I already have a bachelors degree and wanted to pursue dentistry but because of status that is impossible for now. However i've been told that tuition over there is not that expensive. I still want to be a dentist...

I actually have family there(which i don't remember but are really close to my parents) and plan on going back after saving a x amount of money and finishing a masters degree here could come in handy. thanks for letting us know about the teaching possibility. I've been told all the time about it but I thought they were just bsing me. Now I see it as a possibility.

Also a question, how do you deal with separation, I have my whole immediate family here brothers, cousins etc. There are really very few left over there how do you deal with leaving your nieces, nephews etc if you have any.

Anyways thanks and good luck over there.
Well depends, are we talking public school or private school?

In a public school, you pay for an exam permission. You may or may not pass it and it is tough. Once you are in, you pay for the semester. And yes, its dirt cheap compared to any US school. You might pay 300-400 bucks a semester because it is subsidized.

In a private school, like in the US, it is much more expensive. It could be twice or three times as much. But still its nothing compared to what you pay in the US.

As far as cost of living, its pretty cheap. Like I mentioned earlier, for 4,500 pesos (under 400 bucks a month) I have 24 hour security in a gated community, a town house, 2 bedrooms, full kitchen, living room, two bathrooms. A driveway, though it is small for my car.

And yes, a masters degree is a big deal in Mexico. You are comming from a country with degree inflation and its no big deal, to a place where half as many people have college degrees. But there has been an explosion in people who want to go to college and a real shortage of people to train and teach them who are qualified. But yeah, you will be living much better than your parents did when they left.

And you can keep in touch with friends and family with skype or whatever, i guess it wasn't as big a deal for me since I don't have a huge family...but you can always reconnect with the ones in Mexico and I'm sure they would be happy to see you and eventually become close with you. If you have legal relatives, they could visit you.

Here check this out:
http://chronicle.com/article/Mexicos...truggle/66143/
Last edited by CB124; 09-14-2011 at 12:08 AM..
Post your reply or quote more messages.