View Single Post
04-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Administrator
Joined in Mar 2006
1,749 posts
Nick
I'm really glad to see that you are interested in this!

I've been working on something with a friend for the past few months. What we want to do is considerably more ambitious than just updating the advocacy section with new congresspeople.

We would like to frame the conversation within our community around building political power, because power is the only thing that brings change to our lives. Bringing meaningful change to our lives, and to the lives of our parents, is the ultimate goal.

How do we build power exactly? What does power even mean in a loosely connected online community?

We'll start by giving you the tools to organize organically, without formal organizations or leaders. You will be able to define your goals and drill down to meaningful targets; targets that have the power to affect the change that you want. You will then have a choice to organize behind actions to pressure that person. No matter how small or local your issue is, you will also see, and have the power to shape, how your issue relates to other efforts within the community.

What you do with these tools is up to you. Change is up to you.

Now, all this probably sounded very complicated. My job is to make this accessible, easy to understand, and easy to use. I and my friend are doing this on our free time, as such we are very careful with the scope of what we're building. There is a tremendous amount of work to make even something simple happen. It's worth it. I strongly believe that this is how advocacy will work in the future.

Here is how we are approaching the project:

* We've started work on a prototype that will test our core assumptions.
* You will have a chance to sign up for a private alpha to test out this platform.
* We really need your feedback on our core assumptions. We want to build something that you believe in.

This is where we are focusing our energy. We're interested to hear what you think.
Post your reply or quote more messages.