View Single Post
03-27-2018, 12:24 PM
Joined in Dec 2012
419 posts
eRkah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phryne_MD View Post
Hello All,
I will be moving to Michigan for Grad school very soon and I was wondering what is the atmosphere like in this state for Dreamers?
  1. Is it easy to obtain DL or state ID?
  2. Are there alot of immigration checkpoints throughout the state?
  3. Is Michigan very Trump conservative?
  4. Any places to avoid?
  5. Where is most of the immigrant community located, if any?

Anything else I should know about living in this state that you think would come in handy for any dreamer?

Thanks.
What school if you dont mind me asking? I lived in michigan for HS briefly, family and sibling (w/ daca) still live there, i fly there often.

Michigan is interesting, kind of a mix of a liberal state in some ways, and a red/southern state in others. You can obtain DL same as other states if you have valid daca, but you have to renew it every year, not even 2 like your EAD.

Some parts are very Trump/conservative, others more liberal, really depends how close/far you live from the main cities (detroit, lansing, AA, GR, TC). Ann arbor and traverse city are from what i gather by far the most liberal / less conservative. Suburbs are somewhat more conservative and rural areas are pretty conservative (like everywhere else i guess)

in almost 20 years i've traveled there (flying and driving) i've never come across any immigration checkpoints, they are pretty rare in michigan but these are new times so be careful, especially in more rural highways. You will see more ICE/DHS presence in certain communities though (immigrant/poor/POC)
Post your reply or quote more messages.