View Single Post
03-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Joined in Aug 2009
3,045 posts
dtrt09
He doesn't need his people to tell him - he knows it's happening that day. I say it because I think the media are going to have a field day and create the perception to the rest of the country that even the president agrees that CIR is not that important and that he's best off on vacation somewhere. Anti-immigrant groups created the perception that the country refused CIR in 2007, but the uproar came from the same people that will froth at the mouth this year if something happens, NumbersUSA, FAIR, the tea-party, etc. NumbersUSA released a transcrip recently (you can Google it, I don't have a link right now) from a radio show in which they were telling supporters that bringing down CIR is all about perception and they did before and plan to do it again.

Bad perception is what almost killed health reform. It is only now that Obama decided to get involved that it seems it will pass pretty quickly. And my point about having passed a legalization program last year is that the Joe Wilsons of the Senate wouldn't have had their ridiculous claims even printed. My point, and which most people STILL don't understand: The healthcare reform legislation won't take full effect until 3 years from now. The only elements that take effect immediately are ban on pre-existing condition clauses and access to premiums. CIR works the same: DREAM doesn't automatically give us permanent residency. But if passed, we immediately get work authorization; must meet requirements before getting a green card and eventually, if qualifying, citizenship. All the writing has been set for years; the guidelines are pretty much set. Vote it up, or vote it down.
Post your reply or quote more messages.