View Single Post
07-11-2015, 03:03 AM
Joined in Nov 2012
12 posts
JRI
Hello everyone!

Before anything I would like to explain my advance parole situation that I think it's different from most post. I've never posted anything before on the forum but I always keep an eye on for news or informations.

During the summer of 2014 I decided to apply to a study abroad program that I found online. It was super easy and completed most of the steps within a week. During this time I was also due to renew my DACA. While making sure all the study abroad papers were finish I also had to go to the head of my department in school and get some papers sign for it. Everything was done and soon I was awaiting to see if the program accepted me. Meanwhile I already submitted my application to renew DACA. At one point both my study abroad application was pending and my DACA renewal. When a few weeks pass I check my email and I was accepted to study in the Netherlands from January-June 2015. I was so happy the first thing I did was print out the advance parole paper and fill them out. But I couldn't send them until my DACA renewal was approved. At this time it was already October and I was supposed to go at the beginning of January. Finally my DACA got approve and as soon as I got the card on the mail I made a photocopy and sent my advance parole application with an expedite request.

This is where things went a little downhill from here. After sending my AP paper I realized I still needed to apply to some scholarships the study abroad program had sent me to cover for most of the cost.... I fail to realize most of them were only for US citizens and permanent residents. I sent a million emails to the people and the deadline to send in a 1k deposit was fast approaching. I couldn't cover 15k on my own and I was ultimately force to say no to them. After that i realize my AP paper was still being pending and now I was completely freaking out because I was no longer going. And what if they ask or call the program. They would think I lie. After only a few weeks I check online and my AP was approved for 6 months with multiple entries.

I knew someone in the Netherlands already and was determined to go to Europe since I got the AP. I flew to Europe on the beginning of January and travel to many European countries. Including the UK where my passport was also stamped. At the beginning of February I came back to NYC. In Amsterdam I check in at the airport on the kiosk and the machine told me to go to a counter after a few question. The KLM representative knew what she was doing and within a few second and checking my AP she gave me my boarding pass and I headed to European exit immigration and was on the plane in no time. When I approached the officer at the airport in NYC I handed him my passport, AP paper and immigration form. He didn't ask a single question. He simply took my fingerprints and picture. He then took me to the second room. I sat down and five minutes later another officer called my name. Stamped my passport and said welcome back. No one ever ask any type of questions. They did look on my passport but no one asked about any of the 5+ stamps that were on my passport from other countries. I felt so much joy when he said those words.

A few months pass and the end of another semester approached. I still had a month on the AP and went to my home country to visit my grandparent that I haven't seen in over 12+years. On the way back I flew into Atlanta. This was a bit more nerve wreaking as I had two AP papers and only one with a stamp. Once I landed I had everything in hand. To my surprise the visitors line was huge. I approached an office before getting in line and to he point at another line and said they have a special line for that in Atlanta airport. There was only one person in front of me and when it was my turn I handed him only the paper with the stamp from my previous trip, passport and immigration form. He looked at it and took no more than five minutes to look something on the screen. He then stamp my passport and AP and I was on my way. I was not sent to the room!!!! Most of the U.S. Citizens from my flight were still waiting in line. I felt special lol.

A few days later I left to Europe again and on the way back it was a different scenario as I landed in NY in a different terminal. When I went in line I had to wait on the visitors line this time and the officer I got was extremely friendly. The whole opposite of what I was expecting. He even joke around while taking my fingerprints. After this I was again sent to the room and here there were a lot of people. I waited about 20 minutes and then I was on my way. On my way to the exit the officer I had first saw me and wave at me and ask if I got the stamp! I still don't believe the stories on how officers are mean.
In total I have around 10+ stamps on my passport from the trips and at no point was I ever ask about them or my reason for my travel.

I must mention. Immigration in Europe was the easiest. In The Netherlands, Spain, Italy, UK, France and Germany I had absolute no trouble. They barely look at your passport. Stamp it and go.
I was EWI at age 9. Currently on my junior year of college.
Post your reply or quote more messages.