View Single Post
10-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Joined in Sep 2010
354 posts
1L-Deferred
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanR017 View Post
It is really ignorant to believe that the Dream Act will not pass because of CIR. The Dream Act HAS been introduced as a stand-alone. The vote on the DOD bill shows that there is absolutely no Republican that would vote to move forward with this- even in the guise of military funding.

Dream Act and CIR have exactly the same chances to pass during the lame duck- and luckily we have bills for both of these, and are ready to move in the case that either of them are brought up to vote.

I was in DC the week that the DOD was up for vote- speaking the senators' staff. They all gave us pretty much useless answers- they all said they either supported the Dream Act or CIR- but none of them voted in favor of bringing it to discussion.

The problem is that the Republican leadership is forcing its members to stay within the party lines- that is to NOT vote for ANY immigration bill (positive immigration bill at least). If a politician understands the need for the Dream Act- they more than likely also understand the need for CIR- it is not reasonable to believe that they really only strongly support one of the two.

And it is crazy to actually have this discussion where we are blaming a group (people pushing for CIR, like myself) for the lack of congressional support. We are all in the same struggle- and all are fighting for the same thing.
Republicans see DA as a half-way comprimise of CIR. More Rs are willing to document a child who has a legitimate excuse - that they had no say in their coming here. Advocacy for DA has more ammunition, far more than CIR both on moral and legal grounds. Sure most Republicans never read any of these bills and just re-use the same rhetorics over and over, but during the lame duck session, some politicians might actually feel less constrained by party ideas since they are already on their way out. They just might read it AND comprehend it.

I am a believer that common sense prevails if people actually listened intently. Even if I was not a DA-beneficiary, with the knowledge I have now about DA, it would make complete sense to me to not criminalize children who are simply collaterals in this fiasco. I think the lame duck session and standalone bill might just create that kind of atmosphere for this understanding.
Post your reply or quote more messages.