View Single Post
11-24-2014, 02:24 AM
Joined in Jul 2014
51 posts
ldh999
It might not feel worse if you stay quiet, but it also won't get any better. I feel like the reform movement needs as many voices as possible, and yours could be the tipping point that changes everything.

Sorry about your parents putting you in a shitty position. I'm glad you started taking things into your own hands. It must be hard, but it sounds like it was a necessary step. So where are you now with your adjustment of status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnam View Post
Indeed, I feel like I could use some extra courage. But then I feel like perhaps it's better to stay quiet. Can't get hurt even more if no one knows... right? Can't make the best out of it either if you don't push aggressively enough.

I was too scared for a long time to tell anyone about my situation & status. Only some time after I got my work permit and finally started moving towards adjustment of status (no thanks to my family) did I finally feel like I could start telling more people about my situation.

Most of my immediate family are US citizens. Yet they (parents) purposely let my legal status lapse and didn't petition for me (well not until it was too late anyway).

I feel like maybe I should do something more... Surely my case is a great example of how broken this immigration system is.

Some awesome quotes from my interactions with USCIS/Immigration Lawyers

"No one can compel him to sign anything" - Immigration Attorney & later USCIS themselves
"I don't understand" - Immigration Attorney
"Why would someone do that?" - Immigration Attorney
When I asked "Isn't there something that can be done to force some action?"
"No, because it's technically not illegal to keep you here illegally" - Immigration Attorney
6/27/14 — Renewal approved
6/27/16 — DACA expiration
Post your reply or quote more messages.