View Single Post
04-15-2008, 05:31 PM
From Orange County
Joined in Apr 2008
7 posts
Maija
...and not having a stamp on my passport or a green card...makes it any different.

I was born in Sao Paulo Brazil and soon after (possibly about 5 months) I came on a one way ticket to the United States. Quite legally mind you, but my parents overstayed their visas. At least that's how its been explained to me.

A lot of horrible things happened to my dad, but somehow by the grace of God, sweat, tears, blood, an amazing lawyer and loads of money from friends and family, my father became a Legal Resident.

However, my mother and I were left behind in the mess that the immigration department made. Several years afterwards my father finally was able to put money together and start our paper work.

I can't work, I can't get a driver's license and I had to prove that I was a tax-paying resident of the United States in order to get into a community college, where I had actually planned to become an American History teacher.

I'm 20 years old and my father is working hard to put together about 4000 dollars to pay off the remaining fees so that I can finally become a legal resident.

I consider myself fortunate because regardless of my status now, I know it won't be like this for very long. But I worry about others that are in my situation who do not have the window of opportunity I have been blessed with.

Anyways if you ever feel sad about your current situation feel free to chat me up on AIM or Yahoo. I understand completely what you are all going through. The frustration of being branded illegal can be overwhelming.

I hope that the Dream Act becomes a reality.
Last edited by Maija; 04-15-2008 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: wrong link oops
Post your reply or quote more messages.