View Single Post
05-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Joined in Aug 2011
5,677 posts
IamAman
Ironically, a mac is a great windows machine since Apple switched over to the Intel chips. Apple's OS could run on a non-Apple PC too but apple blocks that (unless you get a hackintosh).

Personally I think Apple would be good if you mostly run Apple products and occasionally use Windows, but if you really want Apple, get an Apple. I've been Anti-Apple since 1988 when my school had just bought a new Apple IIGs and a disk got stuck in the disk drive and the teacher blamed me for it. Ok, maybe that wasn't the reason why...the biggest reason is I was poor and liked DIY projects.

I just like the freedom that PC's have. When we moved out of my relative's house in the midwest on our own and had $50 in our pockets, I found a junked IBM XT in the dumpster of our apartment. It had 2 floppy drives and no hard drive so I borrowed a modem from work, ran DOS 5.0, and voila, I had a dumb terminal that I could use to connect to the old Bulletin Board Systems and send email on the internet. That was power. It connected me online which at the time didn't include the WWW.

My next computer was a 486 that some guy had built in his living room and was selling for $600. At the time, a store bought one would have been around $1500, but the guy was an IT guy and would keep old parts and make Frankenstein machines. Can't do that with Apple.

Later on, I got brave and would build my own - get a bucket of parts and put it together and somehow it would work. I understand that now days few people do that or care, which is kind of ironic since people think this generation is very computer literate when all they know is how to get on facebook, but my spirit will never be happy with Apple. I like the Windows desktop and google mobile environment.
Mid-40's dreamer (yeah, time flies), aged out of original DACA and didn't have a chance to apply for extended DACA after Republicans killed it on the vine. Have family petition that is now officially current but with past skeletons, is risky to move forward with AOS. Life is on hold for now until laws and/or government becomes more friendly. Life kind of sucks at the moment but like Al Bundy and the mighty cockroach, I survive.
Post your reply or quote more messages.