View Single Post
09-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Joined in Jul 2009
94 posts
Wondering1983
I'm a Political Science major and I've taken one Sociology class which I really liked (I even considered a double major with both).

You do not need to declare a major right away, just apply as Undecided and explore. Since the first 2 years of college, esp. Liberal Arts colleges, are basic, Core courses, you should use that as an opportunity to take the introductory classes and see if you love them, as well as introductory courses in other majors.
(A lot of students declare majors early and during the course of their college years, they still end up switching majors - colleges know this so don't feel like you have to declare a major on the application. I didn't.)

There are different areas of Political Science (i.e. American Politics, Political Theory, Comparative Politics, and International Politics), so you should also explore those areas to see which one you'd like, as well as the many paths you can take - Law School, Grad School/Ph.D., etc.
American Political Science Association

It's never to late to start reading up about it and you should really start keeping up with current events. Most importantly, it is a writing-intensive/researching major and you should consider taking some History courses (that's how I was introduced to AP Poli Sci in H.S. and it helps as a backdrop).
Last edited by Wondering1983; 09-19-2009 at 02:24 PM..
Post your reply or quote more messages.