View Single Post
05-25-2023, 01:23 PM
Joined in Jan 2017
72 posts
salazar
Anyone here an anime fan? Dragonball, Demon Slayer, One Piece, Pokemon, Naruto?

When I still lived in Mexico around age 3 I was seeing several series mazinger z, Meteoro/Speed Racer, Kimba the white lion. Super campeones (Captains Tsubasa), Remi nobody's child, Granted seeing these at a young age my memory of them is very vague. The only thing I remembered of Super campeones was that he played soccer and ended up switching schools, then had to play against his old school, and that his father could not make it to his games because he was a ship captain, and the protagonist was a captain for his soccer team. I think repetition and story elements helped remember the story a bit better.

I saw Dragonball beginning to end twice before my family left towards the united states. This is a story that I really began to understand more, because I realize now that anime oftentimes repeats and repeats the character's goals motivations, presents different examples of similar situations already seen before. This was when I was not just seeing anime for the sake of seeing it, but because I had a comprehensive understating of the story being presented that I was understanding .

When I arrived to the United States, that was when I saw the American cartoons. It is as if everything was a restart with the episodic format, there was no overreaching plot or story elements. With still learning English the episodes I understood best were those 3 episode specials, where I could follow the story more and more. I just saw them to pass the time.

I think Spiderman might had been the one that had the closest format to what could be a overreaching story line, because it had several multiple episode and seasonal arcs.

Eventually my cousins found out DBZ was airing in Telemundo. I started seeing it and I understood it very well, and at the same time WB started airing the ocean dub of DBZ, I think it must had been around 6am that wb played it. It was a remarkable experience at the time, to see the English version while learning English of the same episodes I had already seen in Telemundo weeks before.

Then WB started airing Pokémon, I understood that one very well and went into my memory because of the repetition, and the recurring themes. Looking back I am surprised other countries openly aired anime in their local channels, while here in the United States they put a paywall needing to have cable+only certain hours, I think animes become more mainstream now that there are streaming aps, and that animes are included in them too.
Last edited by salazar; 05-25-2023 at 01:28 PM..
Post your reply or quote more messages.