View Single Post
06-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Joined in Jul 2007
1,481 posts
h3wlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Scholar View Post
I have a big question. Let's say we get the work permit and you're renewing it every 2 years. Then, let's say that the policy-change is overturned. Will you still be able to keep renewing the permit?
First, I don't think this was an Executive Order. To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't placed in the federal register for any length of time prior to friday's announcement.

It is simply a new way of USCIS handling deferred action.

Hence, Romney's remarks that it could be overturned by the next president aren't entirely true.

I wouldn't see a president going out of his way to reverse such a minor change in the way an agency handles its own business.

Remember:
"The use of prosecutorial discretion confers no substantive right or pathway to citizenship. Only the Congress, acting through its legislative authority, can confer these rights. USCIS"
This wasn't amnesty or anything like all the racist fear mongers are making it out to be.

The administration had perfect legal authority and precedent to direct this change, as well as the backing of countless immigration law professors who sent him the letter recently outlining how he could make this deferred action change.

Further, many are criticizing Obama for having stated in the past that he, as president, couldn't issue an Executive Order for the DREAM Act. This still is true. He can't through Executive Order implement the DREAM Act or Comprehensive Immigration Reform. Congress is still needed for this.

The new Deferred Action process is NOT the DREAM Act.

WE STILL NEED THE DREAM ACT AND COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM!
Post your reply or quote more messages.