View Single Post
11-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Joined in Jul 2014
51 posts
ldh999
Who's to say what I did won't backfire? I don't know what the consequences truly are. Knock on wood that things don't get worse for me or my family because I obviously mean no harm. Either way there are always risks when it comes to sharing these types of things.

You say that your friend "Got a bit too bold. Perhaps enjoyed life a bit too much. Didn't let his status interfere in any way." but you don't actually know what triggered his arrest. Perhaps it was him working with a false SSN. Perhaps it was his fake ID, if he had one. Maybe he got a speeding ticket.

Again, you don't know what triggered his arrest and speculation will only drive you nuts. Coming out of this closet isn't easy, but it's easier when you see just how many other people are doing the exact same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnam View Post
I think it's finally moving along. The whole thing relies on other people. So there were days where I was feeling like I might explode because a deadline was coming up and I didn't have what was needed. Or the attorney would push for a certain piece of evidence which delayed everything by months but perhaps it was worth it in the end (to be determined).

Overall I definitely learned that I can't rely on anyone but myself. That should of been empowering yet it did not feel that way. It still is hard to hear friends/acquaintances complain about how terrible life is just because of some tiny insignificant thing they have to deal with. And yet there's people in our situation who can't drive, fly, get in state tuition or work (though luckily DACA fixed some of these things for those that qualified).

What she did could have backfired. It's a risk. What I'm about to say is unrelated to what she did. But I felt like sharing it anyway. I've met someone was smuggled into this country after his father was murdered. His mother & sisters didn't move. Supposedly he had to move so he could avoid his father's fate. What did he do here? Got a bit too bold. Perhaps enjoyed life a bit too much. Didn't let his status interfere in any way.

Now why did I write about him here? Well because up until recently I didn't really know many "illegals" due to my particular circumstance. So this person here was my only real connection to other people in my situation. He was about my age and in some ways he was doing better than me. And he could of been my only chance of maybe getting a fake ID and being able to visit family/friends after so long. He even got a social security card. His high school teacher procured it! How... I don't even. Probably was a fake. For a little while I was almost envious. That sort of lack of fear got him results. That all changed when he was arrested. So this guy had quite some opportunities and then he wasted it all. Luckily they didn't come for him until after I was gone. That happened at my friend's house who convinced his parent's to let him stay there. Come to think of it that could of been a terrible sleepover.

That was just one of the many things that made me feel like I should stay quiet and below the radar so to speak. Now I'm on the path to legal status and yet I'm still somewhat scared. My life experiences made me that way. Hopefully I can recover and do something truly useful. I hope we all move on and recover once this is over with.
6/27/14 — Renewal approved
6/27/16 — DACA expiration
Post your reply or quote more messages.