View Single Post
10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Joined in Sep 2012
39 posts
hopefulnurse
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo610 View Post
hospitals are not considered as a government department or jobs. Only the VA (Veterans Affair) system or county hospitals are government run. You should still be able to do residency and everything. I went through nursing school and did many internship in hospitals without much problem.

For those who are hoping to get into med school to be a doctor, contact E4FC, they have some resources and know people who were undocumented and went to med school.

www.E4fc.org
So to get your RN license you can do it in a few states, the one that I did it through was Washington. I had heard during nursing school that after two years you must refresh some of your courses to take NCLEX but I am not sure if it was a state thing or if its an NCLEX thing, so I would just call the nursing board and ask. Washington was super nice about it, all I had to do was submit an extra form saying that I did not have an SSN and provide my ITIN. I took the NCLEX right out of school (graduated May 2012, took NCLEX August 2012) so I would look to figure out if there is an "expiration date."

A friend and I are getting ready to apply to medical schools and as some of you mention, yes do you do have to be a bit better than the competition but as most of you have already heard, medical school admission isn't black and white so honestly I feel that I have a shot at this specially with DACA. Now we have a SSN and we can apply for loans (maybe more expensive but possible) and we can work. This evens out the field a bit more than before. As you mentioned, hospitals are not government regulated and clinicals were possible. The only thing that stopped me other than VA was that I didn't have a SSN to do a second background check but soon I will and even if my EAD expires I will still be able to do backgrounds checks and do my clinical hours as a physician (hopefully). Additionally, visa sponsorship will be easy I believe so I think we are in a really good place right now! I am super excited to apply to medical school and I am happy to hear of others doing the same. Don't be discouraged by what people say, ask the questions yourself, sometimes people intentionally (or not) mislead you. Don't give up until you hear it for yourself! Good luck future physicians!

EWI '98, HS Diploma, Bachelors in Nursing '12, RN
Self prepared from Phx AZ, Sent: 8/16/12, Received: 8/17/12, Routed to Nebraska!
Bio appt. on 9/14/12 @9:00 done! Approved:10/5/12
Post your reply or quote more messages.