PDA

View Full Version : chatting

Laura
03-29-2010, 04:54 PM
well I'm new on this page, and I don't know if there is a chatting room to talk with other people about the same issue. that would be cool!! anyways I believe this page is wonderful because I feel much better about all this situation that we are facing... I realy want to talk with other people and do friends!!!!!!!!

M42
03-29-2010, 09:13 PM
well I'm new on this page, and I don't know if there is a chatting room to talk with other people about the same issue. that would be cool!! anyways I believe this page is wonderful because I feel much better about all this situation that we are facing... I realy want to talk with other people and do friends!!!!!!!!

There is one, but it wont show up till you have more than 20 posts or so

NoWhereToRun
03-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Everything is going upside down....president obama wants to drill...he has gone rogue. lol i am starting to believe the anti cristo is here.

warhound
04-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Drilling isnt really a bad choice.. I mean at some point in the future the coastal areas had to open up.

If he can gain republican support for a climate change bill that has a solid vision on upcoming CO2 emissions in future and at the same time concede on drilling it would make another victory under his belt.

angeleno
04-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Drilling isnt really a bad choice.. I mean at some point in the future the coastal areas had to open up.

So killing millions of sea creatures, contaminating the seas with massive oil spills, and poisoning adjacent fishing grounds all to save about 1 cent on the gallon of gas for six months in 2030 isn't really a bad choice?

Nuclear power anyone?

deftbeta
04-25-2010, 12:08 PM
So killing millions of sea creatures, contaminating the seas with massive oil spills, and poisoning adjacent fishing grounds all to save about 1 cent on the gallon of gas for six months in 2030 isn't really a bad choice?

Nuclear power anyone?

It's funny how people who have no knowledge of the the industry, actual operations and all other implications tend to give their insight. They concentrate on one aspect of the general argument and stick with it. Its not about just saving 1 cent at the pump, its much larger than that, all the water bottles you drink come from petroleum (all other plastics for that matter) and on average more petroleum is consumed in the production of plastics in the U.S. than in transportation. The uses of petroleum in your every day life are quite unnoticed, just on plastics and plastic related products alone its life changing. Imagine a life w/o dildoes or barbies Angelano!

Offshore drilling operations are required to meet stringent environmental and safety regulations. No operator dares violate these on purpose as it costs them a pretty penny then and possibly many more in the future. When it does happen its an accident but these are isolate and rare (Deepwater Horizon/ Piper Alpha), and has quite a better safety record than other industries. It's not an outlaw industry as many make it out to be and while its full of republicans these guys bust their ass for their well deserved wages in the most of unappreciated of American industries.

While offshore drilling in the east coast is irrelevant to me it's probably in the nations best interest. Oil companies will do it regardless whether it be here in the states or in another country reaping the tax / royalty benefits of such. For most operators its more economical to stay in international operations due to other countries laxed regulations. To drill in the U.S. just creates more revenue for the states while decreases the dependence on foreign oil. Brazil has been drilling off the Atlantic for years now and recently have found some of the largest finds out there. They're coming up and becoming a big power player in the energy sector add that to their water supply and they're going be the country to be in years from now.

Alternative energy? Thats quite a funny suggestion coming from people who have no insight on the energy industry much less has a good background in the sciences, chemistry and economics involved. Its not as simple as passing legislation or just to ban to be safe. If we really want to conserve the planet the only way is to go back to cavemen ways, but since that's not going to happen an money moves the world round, this requires energy and for now oil provides that and more. I'm sorry but unless you're one to be actually developing this technology to mitigate the use of oil and its associated effects, pushing for legislation to do so is the laziest way to do it, learn a science and make a difference.

Regardless, I think the idea should be pursued but after immigration reform. The approach to alternative energy should be taken with baby steps while mitigating the foreign dependence (behind the high costs of gas - transportation/tariffs/taxes/etc) by exploring new sources to meet the current energy needs of today. Spend less money on policy related costs importing oil to increase the available cash at hand to explore the alternative energies. The Atlantic is an untapped resource and can potentially shift the power hold on the the energy sector from the Middle East to the Western side.

-carlos, check you back in a couple of months.