PDA

View Full Version : [IMMIGRATION] Senators near compromise on immigration

Nick
03-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Title: Senators near compromise on immigration (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-03-16T230133Z_01_N16230061_RTRUKOC_0_US-CONGRESS-IMMIGRATION.xml)
Author: Donna Smith
Source: Reuters
Date published: March 16, 2006

Full Text:

Senators near compromise on immigration
by Donna Smith

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Under pressure to produce broad immigration reform legislation by the end of the month, a U.S. Senate panel on Thursday neared agreement on a proposal that would give some of the 12 million illegal aliens living in the country an opportunity to earn citizenship.

Although no vote will be held until after a weeklong congressional recess, the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday appeared ready to back a proposal by panel member Sen. Edward Kennedy, a Massachusetts Democrat, who has worked on the issue with his Republican colleague John McCain of Arizona.

The panel, which is working on comprehensive immigration and border security legislation, will also consider a related proposal that would allow foreigners to enter the United States as legal guest workers and then have a chance to earn permanent status.

Republicans are divided over immigration policy, and the Judiciary Committee plan is likely to spark a firestorm from conservatives who oppose regularizing the status of illegal immigrants, saying they would be rewarded after breaking U.S. immigration law.

More than 70 members of the House of Representatives led by Rep. Tom Tancredo, a Colorado Republican, fired off a letter to Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican, saying measures the panel was considering "doom any chance of a real reform bill reaching the president's desk this year."

But backers cite both economic and security reasons. They say that providing a path to permanent residency and eventual citizenship will avoid creating a permanent underclass of workers and help bring illegal aliens out of the shadows.

Sen. Charles Grassley, an Iowa Republican who opposes giving permanent status to illegals, said after the meeting that the panel would probably vote for the Kennedy plan.

"The votes are there," Grassley said.

NO AMNESTY

Kennedy told the committee the proposal was not an amnesty. People seeking legal status would have to pay a $2,000 fine, apply for a six-year temporary status, have a job, pay taxes, learn English and show an understanding of U.S. government.

They would not get permanent status faster than the 3 million foreigners awaiting legal entry, he said.

"There is no moving to the front of the line, there is no free ticket," Kennedy said. "This is not amnesty."

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican, quipped that the requirements "probably exclude half of my family."

The panel also reached tentative agreement on a guest-worker program sought by President George W. Bush. U.S. business groups favor creating a temporary-worker program to help fill jobs that Americans either cannot or will not do. Both business and labor groups also favor giving current undocumented workers a way to legalize their status.

Details will be worked out during the recess, panel members said.

The panel is working against a deadline set by Majority Leader Bill Frist. The Tennessee Republican, and possible contender in the 2008 presidential race, said the Senate will take up a bill addressing only enforcement and border security when lawmakers return on March 27. But Frist told reporters if the Judiciary Committee approves a comprehensive bill, it would be considered by the Senate.

"I am committed to border security, interior enforcement and addressing the temporary-worker program," Frist said.

Whether Congress will finalize immigration legislation before the November congressional elections is unclear. Both Democrats and Republicans are likely to use the issue to gain advantage.

The House of Representatives has voted for tough border security and enforcement legislation with no guest-worker program. The two sides would have to work out their differences before a bill could be sent to Bush for his signature.

Submited by juang (http://www.dreamact.info/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3). Thanks.

Nick
03-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Accodring to this article we can at least see that the Judiciarry is leaning towards McCain's bill.

juang
03-18-2006, 05:55 PM
I think thats the first step toward DREAM.

Im pretty sure that no matter what, DREAM will be part of that immigration reform.

Nick
03-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Both, McCain and Kennedy, are cosponsors of the Dream Act, so I hope they push it whether their bill gets heard or not.

Abaddon
03-18-2006, 06:20 PM
They should... however, Malibukid allegedly met with one of those and they asked himnot to talk about DREAM at the conference...

juang
03-18-2006, 06:28 PM
They should... however, Malibukid allegedly met with one of those and they asked himnot to talk about DREAM at the conference...

do you know why they asked him that?

Nick
03-18-2006, 06:30 PM
I wonder why, like i said before these little "DREAM Acts" that focus on in-state tuition in state legislatures, have already ruined the reputation of the true FEDERAL Dream Act (s.2075) that we are fighting for. Its a shame.

Abaddon
03-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Agreed. Grrr... well what can we do know?

Happyman0607
05-16-2013, 11:44 PM
God, this is so similar to what's happening today.. Makes me question if we're all getting our hopes up for nothing.. Had my hopes up and down on this too many times in the past

Happyman0607
05-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Bumppp

VeryNicePerson1
05-17-2013, 04:39 PM
LOL, this topic threw me for a loop.

2Face
05-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Damn. What an old thread this is. Even before I joined the forums. But who here remembers Nick's post right after the 2010 December failed vote. It was about reflecting and moving forward. It used to be on the DAP home page as well. I can't find it. That was a historic post. Very uplifting during a time when pretty much every member on here had gone on depression mode. That was literally a few days before my college graduation. I'm telling you that ceremony was very emotional knowing I was about to go into the unknown..into the economy with no papers. Wow..we have come a long way. Mad props to all Dreamers on here who've held on for so long!

CUSenior
01-28-2019, 10:05 PM
Both, McCain and Kennedy, are cosponsors of the Dream Act, so I hope they push it whether their bill gets heard or not.

Both of these ppl are six feet under now.

No green cards yet.

tays123
01-28-2019, 10:07 PM
I laugh at the sad thought of it...

Both of these ppl are six feet under now.

No green cards yet.