PDA

View Full Version : What is going on?

Nick
04-04-2006, 04:46 PM
I just came home from school and turned on CSPAN.

Funny stuff. I dont know what the hell they are talking about, but its not the immigration bill. It seems they cannot decide on how to debate and vote on this bill. :?
On one side the Republicans are saying that the Democrats are stalling the vote. On the other side the Democrats are sayign that the Ammendments considered are misrepresented.

The result? Nothing much is getting done. And they really dont have time to waste.

I think the D's are afraid they dont have enough votes. Rightly so if I may add.

GOW125
04-05-2006, 09:56 AM
The debate will continue 04/05/06, they are trying to find a compromise that will please the conservative Republicans. Everyone is pointing fingers at each other, that they are stalling on the reform. However let's hope that they have some bill by friday to vote on, and that it has DREAM in it.

Nick
04-05-2006, 11:29 AM
They are discussing some more ammendments now (Wed. morning), but Kyl-Cornyn is still there so the possibility of a complete stall is also there.
With a 100 Ammendments to consider, they better move their a$$.

GOW125
04-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Yeah, but now they are talking about building a baseball museum :!: What does that have to with the reform :?: Damm Yankees loss to Oakland last night :x

GOW125
04-05-2006, 03:38 PM
It seems that the Senators are playing the blame game on each other. "It your fault, no it's your fault" Let's just vote on something already.

Nick
04-05-2006, 04:47 PM
It seems that the Senators are playing the blame game on each other. "It your fault, no it's your fault" Let's just vote on something already.

Thats pretty much what is going on. I think the Democrats are afraid the Kyl-Cornyn Ammendment will pass, so they pretty much stopped the whole thing.
The Democrats say lets vote on something else, the Republicans are saying we already have an Ammendment to vote on.
Guys I dont think this is going anywhere honestly. Not untill April 10th, there is no way.

GOW125
04-05-2006, 04:53 PM
The Senators are going to vacation for two weeks starting Friday, so they will not be back until April 24th. That means that if no bill is voted on Friday, we have to wait two weeks for them just to start debating again.

Nick
04-05-2006, 04:58 PM
And this is the election year, so most of them will be concerned with election campaigns and not doing any actual work.

VJB2
04-05-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm worried, hopefully something good passes. The announcer keeps talking about how Specter said there will be no more immigration debate ON the floor, but that they're working off the floor to come up with a compromise that will move the bill foward. Let's hope.

juang
04-05-2006, 11:10 PM
I think the Democrats are afraid the Kyl-Cornyn Ammendment will pass, so they pretty much stopped the whole thing.

what is the Kyl-Cornyn ammendment? what does it do?

Nick
04-06-2006, 09:56 AM
what is the Kyl-Cornyn ammendment? what does it do?

Depends on who you ask. :lol: Some republicans say it excludes criminals from the program. The democrats say if you read it carefully you can see that it excludes 60% of all illegal immigrants. In other words if you want to know what it really is about, read it yourself, but in my opinion its not worth the time.

GOW125
04-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Guys I can't watch the debate is what is going on? Did they vote on anything yet?