PDA

View Full Version : [IMMIGRATION] Mexico slams Georgia migrant law

Nick
04-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Title: Mexico slams Georgia migrant law (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4921000.stm)
Author: Unknown
Publisher: BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/)
Date Published: April 19, 2006

Full Text:

Mexico slams Georgia migrant law
BBC News

The Mexican government has condemned a tough new immigration law passed in the US state of Georgia on Monday.

Presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said the legislation discriminated against Mexicans and that diplomats would monitor how it was applied.

The law, which will take effect next year, prevents illegal immigrants from receiving many social services.

It will also require police and employers to report undocumented workers to the Immigration Service.
Complex issue

The signing of the legislation comes amid deadlock in the US Congress about how to deal with illegal immigration, as well as nationwide protests by worried Latino groups.

"The referred legislation incurs discriminatory acts against the Mexican population and those of Mexican origin," Mr Aguilar said.

"It is a partial measure that fails to resolve the complex phenomenon of immigration between Mexico and the United States in an integral manner."

Since becoming Mexico's president in 2000, Vicente Fox has been pressing for reforms that would allow more Mexicans to work legally in the US.

'Not anti-immigrant'

Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue, who signed the bill, said it was intended to ensure that everyone who lives in Georgia abides by the laws there.

"It is our responsibility to ensure that our famous Georgia hospitality is not abused, that our taxpayers are not taken advantage of and that our citizens are protected," Mr Perdue.

"I want to make this clear: we are not, Georgia's government is not, and this bill is not anti-immigrant," Gov Perdue said.

The law, which will take effect in July 2007, will also impose prison terms for human trafficking and limit the services commercial companies can provide to illegal immigrants.

BBC correspondents say the move has come at a difficult time in the US as there have been country-wide protests over a federal immigration law currently being debated in the Senate.

"It is a punitive bill," said the president of the Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Sara Gonzalez.

"This is a very complicated issue, and I don't see any good coming out of this."

There are an estimated 11 million undocumented workers in the US.

Submitted by Annonymous. Thanks.

[This message was automatically generated.]

juang
04-19-2006, 10:55 PM
"I want to make this clear: we are not, Georgia's government is not, and this bill is not anti-immigrant," Gov Perdue said.

It is anti-immigrant.

And one question, will this law make the undocumented immigrants caught in Georgia felons as well?

Nick
04-20-2006, 01:15 AM
I dont think so.
I dont even think its in their legislative powers. It is a federal matter. I could be wrong though.

latin07boi
04-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Gov. Perdue seems to have a good intention for georgia, but he doesn't know that by him signing this bill he is putting a lot of companies out of business and students like me are hurt in the process as well.

NayelyLimon
04-26-2007, 03:16 PM
I agree with Nick. I think its a federal matter rather than a decision based on the state.

latin07boi
04-27-2007, 11:28 AM
[quote="latin07boi"] Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better.
King Whitney Jr.
quote]

Gov. Perdue seems to have a good intention for georgia, but he doesn't know that by him signing this bill he is putting a lot of companies out of business and students like me are hurt in the process as well