PDA

View Full Version : Finally somebody points DREAM Act's other qualities

juang
04-21-2006, 11:58 AM
This is the first article that I see where a politician talks about DREAM Act and not only describes it as a way for students to get in-state tuition.

I found this article here:
http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2006/04/21/news/z01feingold.txt

Published - Friday, April 21, 2006

POST COMMENT | READ COMMENTS (0)

Strong on security, long on ideas

Feingold discusses winning strategy for Democrats in coming elections

By DAN SIMMONS | La Crosse Tribune

SPARTA, Wis. — The post-Sept. 11 world requires a new kind of leader, said U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, and Democrats must tailor their message and choose candidates accordingly.

“The two things you hear about the Democrats is they’re too meek too often, and ‘Where’s the positive agenda?’” Feingold said at Thursday’s listening session in Sparta, Wis., the 25th he’s conducted statewide this year and 961st since being elected in 1992.

To win in 2006 and 2008, he said, his party needs to focus on two or three issues — he mentioned universal health coverage, increased funding for alternative fuel research and job retraining for laid-off workers — and “repeat them over and over, every candidate, every event.”

National security matters more than ever, he said. “I think Bill Clinton wouldn’t have been elected president in 1992 (with his background as) governor of Arkansas” because of the post-Sept. 11 situation, he said. Hillary Clinton, however, is well-qualified to handle security issues, he said.

As is he.

“I’ve been on the Senate Foreign Relations committee for 14 years. I’m on the Intelligence committee. I’m one of the few people in Congress with that background,” he said.

But he’s not announcing a run for President. Yet.

“I won’t make any decision until after the November elections,” he said in response to repeated questions.

Feingold also addressed immigration reform, the Central America Free Trade Act and the Patriot Act. He voiced support for the so-called Dream Act, which would make children of illegal immigrants eligible for in-state college tuition and grant permanent residency status if they complete two years of college or military service.

He also voiced strong opposition to the proposed Constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage or unions in Wisconsin.

“I’m embarrassed our state wants to put discrimination in its Constitution,” he said.

Three employees of Crown Cork and Seal, Inc. of La Crosse urged Feingold to support the so-called FAIR act, which would create a fund paid by industry and insurance sources to compensate workers affected by asbestos exposure.

The company is a defendant in a number of lawsuits over exposure to asbestos, because of the insulation operations of a company it purchased in 1963. The legislation would end such lawsuits.

“It’s good legislation,” said Crown employee Gordie Rieber. “It keeps common people like us working.”

But Feingold said he can’t support the legislation as written.

“We need to find a way to compensate victims while not leading companies in a downward spiral,” he said.

Dan Simmons can be reached at (608) 791-8217 or [email protected].

GOW125
04-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Many anti-DREAM people use the in state tuition as an excuse not to pass the DREAM ACT. Just wondering how many people would agree to take away the in-state tuition if it would make DREAM pass? I know that it would be hard but would you guys oppose it?

juang
04-22-2006, 11:25 AM
I would agree to take away the in-state tuition if it meant that we got a green card. With the green card you automatically get the instate tuition anyway.