PDA

View Full Version : CIR begins again ?

Ianus
05-07-2006, 03:27 PM
It seems that way judging from the transcript that was given here (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,194590,00.html) just today asking question to Senators Specter & Biden.The most important info is highlighted.

WALLACE: All right.

Senator Biden, Democrats blocked a vote recently on comprehensive immigration reform because of concern that the compromise would be watered down, would be changed, either by amendment in the Senate or in conference with the House.

Are Democrats now ready to allow a vote up or down on immigration reform in the Senate?

BIDEN: Well, I think we are. What we want to know is — we've been stiffed by the House many times where they go over in a conference, and there ends up a conference that the very thing that the Senate passed, that the Democrats signed on to, ends up being shelved but we didn't get a say in it.

But I have a lot more confidence now because of Arlen Specter. Arlen Specter has been the lead horse in this compromise. It's referred to as the McCain-Kennedy bill that I support, but it really came out of Arlen's committee. And Arlen led the fight.

The administration didn't think we'd get a bill out. I, quite frankly, think the leadership didn't want a bill, and Arlen got it out. And so I have confidence in Arlen's leadership. And I'm not laying this all on Arlen. I mean that sincerely.

But I have confidence in his leadership and I have more confidence that if he were, in fact, one of the conferrees, that we would not get rolled by the House that really doesn't want to do anything constructive, in my view, in this area.

WALLACE: Senator Specter, when are Republicans going to bring up immigration reform again, bring it to the floor for a vote? And what assurances can you give Senator Biden and other Democrats that they're not going to get stiffed, as he put it, by the House?

SPECTER: Well, I expect the bill to come up, Chris, a week from tomorrow. I've talked to the majority leader, Senator Frist, and I expect to be on the conference committee. I'm the chairman of the committee.

By the way, I also expect Senator Biden to be on the conference committee. And when Joe Biden's on a conference, you have a very, very strong voice. We're not going to be stiffed. We're going to try to work it out.

Here again, I don't think it's useful to draw any lines in the sand. We worked with Chairman Sensenbrenner on the Patriot Act and on other matters, and we have a bicameral system. We have to go to conference with the House, and we'll get it worked out.

The speaker has said he's for a guest worker program. That's what the president wants. We've got 11 million undocumented immigrants in the country. We're not going to grant amnesty. They're going to have to pay a fine. They're going to have to pay back taxes. They're going to have to learn English. They're going to have to work for six years. And then they go to the end of the line. And we're going to get it worked out.

Nick
05-08-2006, 12:20 AM
I'm glad that at least they are working to have it back on the Senate floor for debate and not simply giving up on the legislature and letting it collect dust in the archives.

juang
05-08-2006, 01:33 AM
I'm glad that at least they are working to have it back on the Senate floor for debate and not simply giving up on the legislature and letting it collect dust in the archives.

havent they done anything since the two week break ended regarding the imm. issue?

Abaddon
05-08-2006, 08:19 AM
I heard they were working behind the scenes to work on something.

Nick
05-08-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm not an authority when it comes to predicting what they do or even understanding why they do certain things, but I did notice that Martinez compromise was basically worked out and negotiated completely behind the scenes, while people were wasting time on the floor.

GOW125
05-08-2006, 09:56 AM
At least they mention after 6 years you can get in line for citizenship, not like the president

Ianus
05-08-2006, 12:37 PM
After 6 years anyone under Dream will certainly be eligible for Citizenship,but all other legalization methods will be at least 11-13 years or more for Citizenship eligibility under the current comprimise.If I'm not mistaken,I also think Dreamies will be the only ones that will be able to travel outside the country & return if the legislation is passed.

After reading several articles,it seems they're holding secret meetings pertaining on what to do about their current impasse on the bill,which is how many amendments should be allowed for a vote & who will represent the Senate in conference with the House.There are currently 398 amendments,hence the problem,& some of these amendments pose a threat to the Martinez/Hagel comprimise or 'earned legalization' aspect of the bill.However, I think the main problem will be who actually qualifies for these new legalization channels because there are quite a few hidden things that will hinder one from actually applying & I think Dream might be included since the 'Grounds of inadmissability' have been re-worked extensively in the compromise.A couple of examples of would be filling out FAFSA forms fraudulently or I-9's for work are some of the things that could make one inadmissable

VJB2
05-08-2006, 12:50 PM
I've never filled out anything stating that I'm legal, other than my work application. If that's the case, then I guess I'm fucked, but so would a lot of other people. Didn't Frist mention that people would not be disqualified from the bill for using a fake social and getting a job? If that's the case, I don't really see how we would be disqualified from DREAM if we've worked, possibly to pay for classes.

If someone is in the process of being deported, is considered a felon/criminal for other reasons other than crossing the border illegally, or other crucial things, then I would understand the disqualification part.

We'll see. I'm curious, probably like you guys, about the final bill/compromise. ;)

GOW125
05-08-2006, 03:13 PM
I never used a fake Social, most jobs when I was interviewed gave me the job without asking for anything. When they gave me The W-2 form I put down my I-TIN as my social number. That way I was able to pay taxes. Now for those jobs that ask for something I would just say "I will bring them tomorrow" and never come back.

Ianus
05-08-2006, 04:24 PM
VBJ2,you're correct in that Dream does forgive these things,but my problem is since this is a 'comprehensive' solution does the new 'Grounds of Inadmissability' take precedent or is it only for for the Guest worker program/earned adjustment ?

Regardless of either case,it could still affect our family members even though under Dream we might not have anything to worry about.

GOW,I use to do the same thing but since earlier this year I've heard quite a different tune in which companies are now insisting on what a persons status is.I have friends who had held jobs many years dating back to the 90's but some have been fired late last year/early this year because they couldn't prove their residency.

Hopefully,Congress will come through !

I Forgot to mention these (http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/CIR/cir012.htm) are some of the more punitive measures of the compromise I was talking about.

juang
05-08-2006, 11:29 PM
A couple of examples of would be filling out FAFSA forms fraudulently or I-9's for work are some of the things that could make one inadmissable

what is the I-9 form for?

VJB2
05-08-2006, 11:48 PM
That's the form they use to check if you are able to legally work in the U.S.

GOW125
05-10-2006, 11:21 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1135169.php

Frist: Senate to take up immigration next week
Majority leader says it will be focus for 2 weeks.

By DENA BUNIS
The Orange County Register

WASHINGTON – The Senate will return to debating a comprehensive overhaul of the country's immigration system next week, Majority Leader Bill Frist said on the Senate floor this morning.

"I'm absolutely committed to completing and giving adequate time to complete what is a complex bill," said Frist, R-Tenn. Frist said he expects the Senate to concentrate on immigration for two weeks.

Democratic leader Sen. Harry Reid had asked Frist about his plans for immigration, saying "time is running out" to get the bill done during this legislative session.

The two sides still have not reached an agreement on how many amendments will be considered during the debate. Reid's latest offer to Frist is to have 20 amendments – 10 by Democrats and 10 by Republicans. Frist rejected that as not enough.

Democrats are also insisting on some assurances that any bill passed would not be gutted in a conference with the House.

The House passed an enforcement-only measure on Dec. 16 of last year. And a sizable number of GOP members are opposed to any kind of guest-worker plan or legalization strategy for the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants living in the U.S. now. Both of those elements are in the Senate bill that has been stalled since before the Easter recess.

Reid, D-Nev., wants the Judiciary Committee to comprise the Senate portion of the conference committee. Frist has not agreed to that.

Nick
05-10-2006, 01:47 PM
What was it, 300+ ammendments on this bill? And Reid proposes they listen to 20? Nuts...

GOW125
05-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Does any one if any of the 300 admenmdemts affect Dream in any way?

GOW125
05-10-2006, 02:20 PM
sorry I should of spell check. Amendments

Ianus
05-10-2006, 02:55 PM
My guess is that the number of amendments might have actually gone up but the last number I saw was at 397 for the Frist bill & some did gut the legalization provisions of the Guest-worker program,but I'm not sure if any effect Dream.

You should be able to check out all the amendments here (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:SN02454:) for the previously failed Frist bill by clicking on amendments.I'm quite sure something along the same lines will be introduced to the current legislation being debated in the Senate