PDA

View Full Version : What you guys think?

GOW125
05-08-2006, 04:04 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/cctimes/news/nation/14522803.htm?source=rss

Immigration reform called unlikely in '06
Congress members say there is too much distance between House, Senate views to find common ground this year
By Ron Harris
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

WASHINGTON - Despite the million legal and illegal immigrants who poured into the nation's streets last week and the country's heightened focus on immigration policy, members of Congress say it is highly unlikely that there will be immigration reform coming out of Washington this year.

The House of Representatives and the Senate are so far apart in their views on what is needed to halt the flow of illegal immigrants, some members say, that they may not be able to find enough common ground for a compromise bill.
"I could see that happening," said Rep. Jo Ann Emerson, R-Mo.

The House passed a bill in December that calls for increased border agents and vast fences along the Mexican border. Under the legislation, the nation would spend more than $2.2 billion to build five border fences in California and Arizona, a length of 698 miles at a cost of $3.2 million a mile.

The bill also would force employers to verify workers' legal status by checking their Social Security numbers through a national database or face fines of as much as $25,000 for each violation.

Additionally, it would increase penalties for "coyotes," bandits who smuggle immigrants across the border for pay, often leaving them to die in the desert. It also would make being an illegal immigrant a crime instead of a civil matter, and introduce legislation that would make anyone who helps or houses an illegal immigrant -- including family members -- a criminal as well.

Some senators have called the bill "Draconian" and "punitive." They say the biggest failing is that it doesn't address the issue of what to do with the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants now in the United States.

In its latest stab at immigration overhaul, the Senate considered versions of a bill co-sponsored by Sens. Mel Martinez, R-Fla., and Chuck Hagel, R-Neb.

It includes the guest-worker program that President Bush wants and a plan that many Democrats want for granting citizenship over time to some of the illegal immigrants already here.

But that compromise fell apart last month, and senators have struggled to come up with a plan that they feel could get through the House without having the guest workers provisions and legalization removed during a conference committee of both houses.

"The problem is you've almost got a split right down the middle in the Republican Party," Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said. "There is a wing that is adamant about not providing a pathway to citizenship. If that is their position and they don't budge from that, it's hard to see getting anything done before November."

The subject of immigration reform has been floating around Washington since January 2004, when Bush announced that he wanted Congress to consider immigration reform that included a guest-worker program.
But in recent months, the subject has really taken hold with the public.
"It's been bubbling up since about 2001, but it's in full flames now," said Rep. Todd Akin, R-Mo.

Emerson said she has received more letters on the subject from her constituents than on any subject in her 10 years in Washington.

Newspapers around the country reported a huge surge in letters from readers on immigration after Monday's marches and protests. The majority of them were from readers who took a dim view of Monday's march.

Dodie Hofstetter, Voice of the People editor at the Chicago Tribune, said she received more than 100 letters after the demonstrations.

"On one issue, that's quite a bit," she said.

Julie Green, letters editor at the Los Angeles Times, said she received more than twice that many.

Jamie Riley, letters editor for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, said she has received more than 200 letters on immigration in the past four weeks.

"That's counting only the people who have written locally and not the ones from out of state," Riley said. "That's a lot of letters on a specific topic over the course of one month."

"There are concerns," said Carroll Doherty, an associate director of the Pew Research Center who has been polling Americans about their attitudes toward immigration issues. "There are concerns about jobs, concerns about traditional values, concerns about the impact on government services.

"The people at the lower end of the education and income spectrum are more opposed to immigration than those who have more education and have higher income. The interesting thing is that the same divisions exist among Democrats as among Republicans."

Ironically, some say Monday's march, while it reinvigorated the immigration debate, may have hardened certain constituencies against immigration reform, making it even more difficult for some politicians to consider a guest-worker program or a program for turning illegal immigrants into legal citizens without leaving the country.

Many Republicans and some Democrats on Capitol Hill are having a difficult time embracing any proposal regarding guest workers or legalization for illegal immigrants.

Still, some politicians, such as Rep. Luis Gutierrez, R-Ill., a member of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, remain upbeat about the chances of passing a bill that could be signed into law.

"I'm cautiously optimistic about where we're going," Gutierrez said. "There are going to be many hurdles, many obstacles. It's really going to depend on how strong the measure is that comes out of the Senate."

I try to stay as positive as humanly possible, despite not knowing what the future holds for anyone in this situation. However reports like this does make sense to me, that there is good change this make not happen this year or when it will happen. I would like now how you guys feel about this report? does it bother you in anyway?

max
05-08-2006, 08:28 PM
I think that the only reason why the reform is being held back is because nobody supports bush guest worker program. The immigration reform would have move a lot quicker if wasn't for Bush guest worker program. A lot of people in congress feel that the guest worker program will only brieng in more cheap labor into this country. They alredy disagree with exporting cheap labor to other countries. Why dont they just clsoe their borders and give us an earned path to legalization, and later think about a guest worker program :idea: . Well thats just how I feel. :shock:

Nick
05-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Why dont they just clsoe their borders and give us an earned path to legalization, and later think about a guest worker program :idea: . Well thats just how I feel. :shock:

Because that would mean that people who came here illegally will get special treatment over those who want to enter legally. Anyway you look at it, thats not fair.

max
05-08-2006, 09:30 PM
no, no, no, and no, maybe I didn't explain my self clearly. I meant to close the boders for illegal immigrants, not legal immigrants. It's just an idea. I feel that if we please the peolple who oppesed the guest worker program we will get somthing sooner. Look, I feel that if they close the borders for illegal immigrants, and not have a guest worker program it will make some people in congress happy. But slowly the country will realize that they do need workers, and inventualy give more visas, or make a guest worker program.

Nick
05-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Thats what I meant too. People cross the border illegally not just because, but because they have no way (or little) of coming here legally. I think a guest worker program is a good idea, because it will encourage people to come here legally instead of looking for alternative ways. One way or the other immigrants are going to come here, building a fence is not going to do a damn thing, I'm sure we agree on that. I think its a much better idea to find a balance between how many people want to come here and how many the US actually accepts. I think right now, this balance is way out of place, there arent enough visas. Like I said, either way people are going to come here. The trick is figuring out how to legalize and monitor the process.

Besides, toughening the border and giving people already here a way to legalize and doing NOTHIGN aside from that has been done before (1986) and apperantly it hasnt worked very well. What you are proposing is almost exactly what they did in '86.

juang
05-08-2006, 11:43 PM
I feel that the Guest worker program should be dropped once and for all. I also believe that the fence should go up. If they have the fence, we might not get a path to citizenship, but a path to a green card. I dont know about you guys, but i would rather have a green card now instead of fight for a path to citizenship in the future.

To be honest a green card today would do a lot more than citizenship in 10 years. I am not saying that i would not take the citizenship, im just saying that I want to be legalized NOW. A green card would be fine now.

And about the article i say that only time will tell what will happen.