PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round

juang
05-29-2006, 02:10 AM
Senate vs House of Rep.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10005066/

I think the conference comm. has begun!!!

Abaddon
05-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Let the games begin!

Nos morituri te salutamus...

Nick
05-29-2006, 01:09 PM
This is such a good debate. Thanks for the link. It froze on me half way through the video, so I have to watch the whole thing over again, but I don't mind. It got to the point where sessenbener (?) contradicted himself, that was nice. "I'll ask again. Will you support any path to citizenship or amnesty or w.e else we call it?" , sessenbener says "no", next question the interviewer asks lists the industries dependant on illegal aliens and asks what is going to happen to these industries. Sessenbener says that they should legalize the workforce by having legal immigrants etc. And at the same time says that the illegal immigrants shouldnt be deported because its unrealistic. Neither does his bill have a provision for temprorary worker visa's. So where is that legalized workforce gonna come from?

In any case this is a very good debate straight to the point. I also liked that the interviwer asked what the political implications were for NOT passing any immigration reform this year. I've been interested in this particular point, because a lot of republicans are saying that voting for this bill will deprive them of votes xome the elections. I think its exactly the other way around. However not because they will be going with or against what the public wants, but because failing to pass immigration reform amids so much talk about the need for reform will be seen as pretty much a failure by the republican leadership, inability to pass something I think is much worse than passing a bill that doesn't please the conservatives.

VJB2
05-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Oh shit. Thanks!

And it's true, if the public sees that NOTHING was done to fix the immigration system, they will lose more votes that way than if they decided to legalize the immigrants already here. Even if they decided NOT to legalize, and enforce only, the question about the 11 million people already here will be left unsolved, which will bug the public even more. We all know 11 million people can't be deported, and they say there won't be an amnesty, so I have no friggin idea how they plan to solve this. It shall be interesting..

VJB2
05-29-2006, 02:54 PM
I also love Hagel's little chuckle when the other Senator contradicts himself.

GOW125
05-29-2006, 08:56 PM
I am praying that Sensenbrener gives something positive out of the House and Senate conference.

juang
05-29-2006, 10:45 PM
I dont think senator Sensenbrener put a lot of thinking into his bill, other than that the 1986 amnesty was a failiture and that now we need to do exactly the opposite.