PDA

View Full Version : Missouri student wins another deferment from deportation

juang
06-22-2006, 11:25 PM
http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/news/breaking_news/14878671.htm

Missouri student wins another deferment from deportation

SAM HANANEL
Associated Press
WASHINGTON - A Missouri college student who waged a highly publicized campaign to fight her deportation to Costa Rica has received another extension of her stay in the United States.

Marie Gonzalez can remain in the country for one more year under the decision reached by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, agency spokesman Dean Boyd said Thursday.

The 20-year-old student won a similar reprieve last, but that would have expired on July 1.

"It's been a crazy day," Gonzalez said in a telephone interview. "I haven't really had a chance to let it sink in."

Gonzalez said she called her parents in Costa Rica immediately after hearing the news Thursday morning.

"Dad and I both cried on the phone together," she said. "We were both overwhelmed. This is what they wanted to hear."

Gonzalez was born in Costa Rica but has lived in Jefferson City, Mo., since she was 5. Her parents, who entered the country in 1991 on six-month visitor visas, say they misunderstood legal advice and missed their chance to apply for permanent status.

Gonzalez's father, Marvin, was working in Gov. Bob Holden's office as a courier and mail opener when he was fired in 2002 after an anonymous tip about his status. Gonzalez's parents were both deported to Costa Rica in 2005.

After a nationwide publicity campaign last year - and personal appeals for her from Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Mo., and other high-profile lawmakers - immigration officials granted Marie Gonzalez a one-year deferment.

Since then, she has finished her freshman year at Westminster College in Fulton, Mo., and has been waiting for Congress to pass an immigration bill that would give students like her a chance to become U.S. citizens.

"America should not lose talent like Marie Gonzalez," said Durbin, who sent a letter last week to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, asking for another deferment.

"She is a bright young woman who wants to use her talents to help the only home she has ever known," Durbin said.

Durbin said thousands of other illegal immigrant students are in a similar predicament through no fault of their own and should be given a chance to become citizens after spending most their lives in the United States.

Durbin has sponsored the DREAM Act, a measure that would allow illegal immigrant students to apply for the chance to become U.S. citizens if they complete college or join the military.

The bill was part of immigration legislation that passed the Senate last month, but it may be months before lawmakers begin difficult negotiations to resolve key differences with a House immigration bill.

Gonzalez said she is excited about the chance to return for her sophomore year at Westminster and plans to continue speaking at universities and public forums about the DREAM Act.

"It's still hard thinking its another year that I won't see my parents," she said. "But at the same time, we know that it's worth it and we're doing this for a reason."

These are great news!!! DREAM Act has more attention now. :-)

Nick
06-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Great news!

If only Sen. Durbin wrote us all a letter like that. :cry: Oh wait he has! Well at least he sponsored it and fought for it. :D I'm speaking of the DREAM Act of course. :lol:

GOW125
06-23-2006, 03:47 AM
If anybody deserves their papers is her, I'am happy that she has one more year left :)

juang
06-23-2006, 12:18 PM
If anybody deserves their papers is her, I'am happy that she has one more year left :)

I desagree with that, i believe that we all deserve them as well.

GOW125
06-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Well Juang I feel that we all deserve them as well, but in my opinion I feel that all that problems that Miss. Gonzales is going through her parents being deported, etc, I feel for her, that is why I said that statement above. I know that other people are going through similar struggles, and they deserve it as well. I wasn't trying to say that nobody but her deserve it, I guess my feeling took over my head, and I should of wrote it better. I apologize if any one took my statement the wrong way.