PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy's GOP opponents square off in debate

juang
07-30-2006, 06:24 PM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/07/30/kennedys_gop_opponents_square_off_in_debate/

Kennedy's GOP opponents square off in debate

July 30, 2006

BOSTON --Two Republicans fighting for a chance to challenge Sen. Edward M. Kennedy squared off in their first televised debate Sunday, discussing topics including the Iraq war and immigration laws.

Ken Chase, a 45-year-old language school owner who won the endorsement of the state Republican Party, faces 42-year-old Kevin Scott, a former Democrat and past selectman from Wakefield, in the Sept. 19 primary.

In a debate hosted and broadcast by WBZ-TV, both candidates slammed Kennedy's immigration proposal, which would give an eventual shot at citizenship to many of the estimated 11 million to 12 million immigrants in the country illegally.

"The real problem is we're not enforcing our current laws," Scott said. "We need to secure our borders first and foremost."

Chase proposes sending illegal immigrants to their home country, where they would be required to apply for legal entry if they want to return.

"I don't see what's so far fetched about getting on Jet Blue here at Logan, taking a quick hopper flight down to LaGuardia, you know, you get beer, a bag of peanuts, then you get on another flight," he said. "Three, four hours later you're in Mexico City. I don't see what's so onerous about that. I think that's a great idea, gives them a chance to repatriate themselves. It's called planes, trains and automobiles. People do it all the time."

On the war, Scott said he wouldn't have voted to give President Bush authorization to invade Iraq. Kennedy voted against the war.

"There was plenty of evidence even at that point to indicate that Iraq was not an imminent threat," Scott said.

Chase said he would have voted for the war because "the case that was presented was convincing."

Kennedy, whose campaign office did not immediately return a call to comment, is not being challenged on the Democratic side. He took office in 1962, completing a term started by his late brother, former President John F. Kennedy, before being elected to his first full term in 1964.

Kennedy had $8.7 million in campaign account at the end of June, while Chase had just $33,737, according to filings with the Federal Election Commission. Scott's latest filing, at the end of March, showed just $6,659 left in his account.

So "It's called planes, trains and automobiles. People do it all the time"

I wonder what exactly has this poor guy in mind. But the real question is...will Kennedy lost his place to one of these guys?

Nick
07-30-2006, 07:16 PM
In MA? Ill eat my own head if a republican comes out of that...