PDA

View Full Version : HASTERT ON LEGALIZATION

hayire
08-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Haster has spoken about legalization (http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=217429). He definitely concurs with legalization.

We have 11, 12, 15 - we don't know how many - million people who are here without legal passports, without legal papers. Some of them have been here 60 years doing the tough and dirty work that basically no one else wanted to do. Then we have people who've been here 40 years, 20 years, 20 days. So you have to say "look it, those people who've been here for a long, long time, who've had families here, you need to find a way to be a normal citizen, where you come out of hiding and don't have to worry about that." You know, there are legal ways to become a citizen. There are also ways for people to stay here if they don't want to become citizens, but they will at least be able to do some work. We haven't investigated all those issues out there yet. ...

We need to have a long debate about how you do that, and I don't think you want to do it with just one wave of the arm and say everyone is legal. You don't know who's here.

He also talks about propects of immigration reform before the election. Could you explain to me what he means by this?

"The timeline is when we get it right," House Speaker Dennis Hastert said about passing immigration reform before this fall's elections.

Haster also talks about legalization and sealing the border (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/hastert15.html).

"What we need to do is seal our border," he said during a phone interview with "The Don and Roma Morning Show" on Chicago's WLS radio station. "If someone is bleeding to death, first of all, you stop the bleeding. We need to stop the bleeding. We can seal the border."

Hastert also said the "bad apples"--which he did not define--among the country's millions of illegal immigrants should be deported.

"We are serious about taking illegal aliens and moving them outside borders of our country," he said.

"When you become a citizen you have to learn English, and that's the thing: we have to urge that people go through the process," he added. "What we have is literally millions of people coming here ... not having to become a citizen, kind of living and working in the shadows, and these people need to make a decision ... I just don't think we can have two types of legalities in this country: what the law says and what we let happen."

juang
08-19-2006, 04:46 PM
After reading this I now think that Hastert is not that bad, and perhaps he would be interested in a compromise with the Senate if his petitions of "sealing the border" and deporting the "bad apples" are in that compromise. After all, i dont think his petitions are bad, I personally agree with that of deporting the bad apples. Now when it come to "sealing the border", i dont think it is actually possible for them to seal it completely. Theres always going to be "leaks" in the border.

hayire
08-20-2006, 12:11 AM
they are just not going to seal border, of course they are going to toughen up the laws as well.