PDA

View Full Version : States that give US in-state tuition (list)

Pages : [1] 2

juang
08-30-2006, 01:00 AM
First of all, let me clarify that the DREAM Act its not only about in-state tuition. There is a number of states that already give in-state tuition to undocumented students that qualify, but a college degree is worth crap when you can't use it in the only country you love and know. And this is why we want everyone to be aware that our DREAM not only consist of affordable college education, but of a chance for a better job and better living standars. And that...is the American DREAM.

The following is a list of states that give in-state tuition to undocumented students that satisfy certain requirements.
Not every "illegal" will be accepted in college and therefore the ignorant question: "why my son who is going to college in California has to pay out of state tuition when these illegals pay in-state?" will be answered.

Every state has its own particular requirements, and details vary from state to state, but basically all of them agree in:

**The student must have a state high school diploma. (kids from Texas need a Texan high school diploma to pay instate tuition in Texas. If they decide to go to college in California, they will have to pay out of state tuition as everyone who moves out in order to go to college in another state.)

**The student must at least have lived in the state for 3 consecutive years prior college application.(To those who oppose us getting in-state when their kids dont when they move to Texas for college: Well, if your kid had lived in Texas for 3 years before applying to college like us, he/she would also have gotten in-state tuition. So, stop complaining)

**The student must sing a letter in which he/she assures that will try to become "legal" once they have the chance to do so.

Now, finally, the list.

http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/DREAM/in-state_tuition_basicfacts_041706.pdf

**Texas
**California
**Utah
**Washington
**New York
**Oklahoma
**Illinois
**Kansas
**New Mexico
**Nebraska
**Georgia

If you know of any other state that gives in-state tuition to certain undocumented students and its not listed here, please let me know to keep this list updated. Please provide a link to an article that confirms that such state is (or will), in fact, give in-state tuition.

Nick
08-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Great write up! Thats a question that is brought up quite often around here.

max
08-30-2006, 06:13 PM
I hate how some people think that DREAM Act is for people who came to U.S. yesterday. Once on the news I saw how they were reporting on DREAM. They were showing clips of illegal immigrants working on farms picking cherries. I have nothing on them, but you think they want to go to school. Maybe? :D

juang
08-31-2006, 01:05 AM
Honestly...I dont think many of the people picking up cherries and stuf want to go to college. They have more important things in mind (not that college its not important) and putting food in your family's table is more important than a degree in Political Science.

frbc13
03-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Florida..........not!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

frbc13
03-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Yes it pisses me off how some people say: "They can go to any state and get in state tuition and my american kid can't" they don't know the whole deal!!!

Nick
03-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Just wondering, is this the most recent list? I have this striking suspicion that there is another state now that should be added to the list. MN? I could just be dillusional though...

HOPEFULDREAMER
03-19-2007, 09:34 PM
MN is considering their DREAM Act right now...its not official yet =)

Nick
03-19-2007, 09:38 PM
So is Maryland I think. We should keep our eyes peeled for changes.

frbc13
05-13-2007, 11:07 AM
I guess you should take Oklahoma off the list now :( :( :(

Ed
07-05-2007, 09:46 PM
i guess i have to move back to california to get my nursing degree, since nevada isnt on the list.

mitul551
08-23-2007, 06:23 PM
i was given in-state tution in community college in new jersey. To qualify for in-state tution i had to show them proof of residence in new jersey (driver's licence or utility bill with my name on it). when i calle utility company they asked me for ss# but since i don't have it, i asked the young lady "if she can just add my name on the bill for now and i will call back another time to give my ss# cause i don't remember it." The lady said ok. i never called back. the bill came with my name on it and it's still that way.

Tasksgirl
08-23-2007, 06:42 PM
i was given in-state tution in community college in new jersey. To qualify for in-state tution i had to show them proof of residence in new jersey (driver's licence or utility bill with my name on it). when i calle utility company they asked me for ss# but since i don't have it, i asked the young lady "if she can just add my name on the bill for now and i will call back another time to give my ss# cause i don't remember it." The lady said ok. i never called back. the bill came with my name on it and it's still that way.

Same here in CA (with the utility company)

OKDreamer07
09-18-2007, 02:10 PM
I guess you should take Oklahoma off the list now :( :( :(

I go to an Oklahoma college.
I still get instate tuition :D
so dont take it off the list.

OMEGANLTIN
09-21-2007, 11:44 PM
you can add Indiana. there are some colleges in Indiana that give instate tuition..

thedream
09-22-2007, 02:07 AM
you can add Indiana. there are some colleges in Indiana that give instate tuition..

can you elaborate on that?

i think CIR_DREAM would be interested in that.

pingpong abyss
09-22-2007, 02:24 AM
Check this out inre: Indiana. (http://elpuenteproject.com/?pageId=79)

OMEGANLTIN
09-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Thank you for posting ELPUENTEPROJECT.COM, i might know you..... whoever post the website link.. This is a good site for Latino youth empowerment. I.U.P.U.I and IVY COMMUNITY COLLEGE are one of the few that give instate Tuition...

KeepOnTruckin
09-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Thanks for posting the info about Indiana colleges, you have no idea how much you've helped me.

michellefish77
10-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Hey guys my name is michelle I'm from South Carolina! :D How exactly can I go about trying to get some attention to the Dream Act in my state to see if some of the students here can push for instate tuition? I'm a little confused as to why each state has the option to give instate tuition or not to? :roll:

IDim
12-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Does anyone know if Arkansas gives in-state tuition.

Youguysareawesome
12-05-2007, 10:25 PM
^nope

papilindo701
12-07-2007, 01:15 AM
Hey I read something on page 1 about Maryland considering the dream act what is that about? can some plz elaborate

Vicky
01-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Since when does Texas give in-state tuition to illegals? My sister graduated from a University in Texas and she alwasy paid out of state tuition becasue she was illegal. Now my question is, why can't she become legalized sooner? She struggled years to pay for her education and hasn't been able to use her degree. Immigration laws are tough, she is married to a United States Citizen and has yet to become legal.

Vicky
01-09-2008, 02:08 PM
The Dream Act is supposed to help illegal students who were brought into the country by their parents'. It will help them become legal and continue their education. I was one of those students and I wish for this to pass. When I graduated from High School I was at a dead end, I wanted to go to college and pursue a career but there was no immigration law out there to help me. I was in school since kindergarten and graduated, I was thaught to love the United States and was hit hard when I realized I was not going to have the opportunity to go to college.

pingpong abyss
01-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Hey Vicky,

I'm not sure when your sister graduated, but I know that now you can indeed get both in state tuition and financial aid in Texas. Texas passed a bill to give in state in 2001, called HB 1403.

By the way, if your sister is married to a citizen, why can't she legalize? How did you guys enter--w/ a visa (real or fraudulent) or illegally?

Vicky
01-11-2008, 12:47 AM
We entered illegaly, and she's afraid to start becaue she doesn't want to end up being sent back to Mexico. Wow, so they give in-state tuition and all, didn't know that, but I know my sister paid her way through college and university.

pingpong abyss
01-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Yeah...that would be the only option, then. Hopefully dream will pass soon and she won't have to.

Yeah, sucks doesn't it? I'm not sure how it works in Texas, but I know the Californians have to fill out some kind of form...like a waiver or something...to get in state, so maybe she wasn't aware of that.

DREAMAct01
01-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Yeah, you have to fill an affidavit and get it notarized saying that you've graduated from a Texas high school and went there for 3 consecutive years, or have lived in Texas for at least 12 months.

lilbawler2001
01-18-2008, 12:14 AM
My cc in MA gives instate tuition for everyone if they take night, weekend and summer classes.:mrgreen:

Youguysareawesome
01-30-2008, 01:11 PM
A lot of Minnesota schools give in-state. Some even give it to everyone which includes citizens and dreamers of other states and even international students.
http://testfn.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/dreamschoolswonin2007.pdf

Nick
01-31-2008, 08:13 PM
OFF TOPIC

Please stop debating with these people. We have better things to do than to delete this crap. Every time you quote them, you give them a voice. They have enough voices in this country.

BACK ON TOPIC

Youguysareawesome
02-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Eastern Michigan University asks for applicants' citizenship but doesn't follow up if it's left blank, says Orscheln. "If they have attended Michigan schools, a Michigan high school for two years or more, then we will allow them to attend and pay in-state tuition," she says. "We don't consider students who are undocumented as international students. We just don't. They're not."
http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=12430

Hopefully someone can clarify this some more later on.

akathemx
03-06-2008, 03:22 AM
I attend kvcc, in MI it offers instate tuition.

adrian5
03-11-2008, 12:36 PM
I am new here. I am also one of the many in this frustrating situation. I am 25 years old now, i was only 9 years old when my mom decided to come to the US for a better life. Like many of us in this situation, our opinions did not matter. I was a sophomore in High School when i new that my illegal residential status would affect me in many ways. I new i was not a legal resident before i realized it would affect me in the long run. I had friends that were from Mexico as well as from Central America. I new that some of them didn't have "papers" but when they were asked by the ones that did they would lie, just like i did. I grew afraid and embarrassed to know that people would find out about me being illegal.
I was more embarrassed by the friends that lied and said they did have papers and even more embarrassed by the friends that came legally and did have papers. The kids that were born here in the US didn't even ask if you had papers , but if you spoke Spanish you were a "wet-back" they were just being stereotypical.
At the age of 15 i began to worry everyday of what my life would be like if i didn't attend college like i had dreamed since i realized that a college education would lead me to a better life. Senior year was the year i dreaded to reach, college applications, tests where SSN is needed, and before that i had already suffered the frustrations of not being able to get a job so i could help my home. I managed to get a job by selling candy door to door, it was good enough for me and even though it was challenging i managed to do well and enjoy it. The long lonely walks through unknown dark neighborhoods every day after school and all day on Saturdays made me appreciate the value of a single dollar. The commission for each box of candy sold was cheap, only $1.25. The box was $7.00. The average sale of the evening was 10 to 12 boxes, ill let you do the math considering the hours and the things you had to face to sell those boxes. Oh yeah if you had a bad night and sold 1 box or none thats what you would take home.
"Don't worry, by the time its time for you to apply to college you wont have a problem its a matter of a few months before you could be a legal resident." my mom speaking. I still hear that story but adjusted in various ways.
Well you are probably tired of reading so ill cut to the chase.
ITS TRUE WHATS THE POINT OF GETTING A COLLEGE EDUCATION IN ONE OF THIS INSTATE TUITIONS IF YOU WILL BE MISERABLE ONCE YOU GRADUATE FROM COLLEGE. AFTER MY FEAR OF THINKING I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND COLLEGE I DID. I HAVE AN ARCHITECTURE DEGREE. MIND YOU I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MY COUNSELOR DID SO I WOULD BE ACCEPTED, BECAUSE BACK THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS INSTATE TUITION. I THANK HIM VERY MUCH FOR HELPING ME REACH ONE OF MY DREAMS EVEN THOUGH IN A WAY MY LIFE IS MISERABLE TO EXAGGERATE A BIT. I GRADUATED 4 YEARS AGO AND GUESS WHAT I AM STILL IN THE SAME SITUATION. IN 4 YEARS THE FRIENDS I GRADUATED WITH HAVE DONE ALOT, TRAVELED, BOUGHT NEW CARS, SOME HAVE BOUGHT HOMES AND SO MANY OTHER THINGS THAT I CANT DO. ITS SAD TO SAY THAT THIS ARE THINGS I A MISERABLE FOR NOT DOING BUT IF MONEY WAS NOT THE LEVER THAT MOVES US THEN I WOULD BE FINE. THIS IS A CAPITALIST COUNTRY AND IT IS ABOUT MAKING MONEY...............

laneDearIhope?
03-11-2008, 03:09 PM
welcome to dap! but your post belonged in the new members section.

free2be
03-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Can someone clarify the in-state issue with Nevada? This is what I found, and I can't seem to dig up anything else that supports or contradicts this:

http://www.finaid.org/otheraid/undocumented.phtml (http://www.finaid.org/otheraid/undocumented.phtml) 5th paragraph down
The Nevada system of higher education does not consider immigration status for in-state tuition, but does require it for a state-sponsored scholarship.

dreamerhippie
03-29-2008, 09:46 AM
yeah, oklahoma is definitely off the list.

although i must say, there are individual schools that bend the rules a little bit by not asking at all or offering a special program, such is the case with my school in michigan. as far as i know, out of 15 public universities and a handful of private schools in michigan, only 2 are bend the rules a little bit.

assuming that you're admitted, the program at my school requires proof that you've paid state taxes (this is where doing your taxes with a itin comes in). i got admitted in fall 2006 under this program =]

how it works is that on everything i'm classified as an out of state resident, which is kinda retarded cause i've lived in michigan since 3rd grade. so i'm charged out of state tuition on all my statements and my transcripts say i'm out of state, but then i have a scholarship from the university that refunds me the difference between out of state and in state tuition!!! smart huh? so i end up owing like 5,000 less every semester. =]

the university that i go to also gave me a scholarship based on having a 3.5 gpa or higher every semester (essentially requiring me to always make the deans list) for ... get this .... 16,000. lol, an undocumented (and documented) college students dream =]

Amerzy
04-01-2008, 10:50 PM
I know this isn't on the subject but are there any Asian American Pacific Islanders who are willing to share their story on our website? Please e-mail me at [email protected].

If you aren't an AAPI, you can also e-mail me your stories too and I will be happy to post them up!

Go check us out at http://aapidream.com

Bea
07-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Honestly...I dont think many of the people picking up cherries and stuf want to go to college. They have more important things in mind (not that college its not important) and putting food in your family's table is more important than a degree in Political Science.

well with a degree in political science you can get a job that is not minimum wage. you are also seen as an educated individual who wishes to prosper. It is not just about 'getting a job', its about being educated and not ignorant about world issues. Politica Science teaches all that in which the individual needs to be able to protect himself: the right to life, liberty, and pursue of happiness.

Nick
08-07-2008, 01:01 PM
This is just a humble request.

Can somebody update this list and see if there are any changes. Any new states on there? Any that should be removed?

Dman
08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
According to this (http://www.aascu.org/media/pm/pdf/in-state_tuition07.pdf) (from August '07), this (http://www.achievingthedream.org/_pdfs/_publicpolicy/UndocImmigUpdate_0307.pdf)( from March '07), and this (http://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0178.htm)( from March '08 ) the states have not changed. Other states have introduced legislation to either allow or restrict in-state tuition but nothing has become law yet.

Youguysareawesome
08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Oklahoma should be taken off, a few states should be added but with an asterisk because they have some schools that charge EVERYONE out of state tuition regardless of status or state of residency.

Dman
08-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Oklahoma should be taken off

From Oklahoma State University (http://admissions.okstate.edu/Residency.html)

Undocumented Students

Students who cannot present OSU with valid documentation of US citizenship or an immigration status permitting study at a US institution, but who have graduated from a public or private high school in Oklahoma, may be eligible for enrollment and resident tuition if they fill out an Affidavit of Intent (http://admissions.okstate.edu/pdf/affidavitofintent.pdf) with Oklahoma State University.

I'm not sure if it's just OSU still granting in-state.

RahmanIV
08-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Oklahoma should be taken off, a few states should be added but with an asterisk because they have some schools that charge EVERYONE out of state tuition regardless of status or state of residency.

Private schools charge everyone the same rate. Its only state universities or public university systems that have different tuition rates.

A way to tell the difference is in the name. Pennsylvania State University is a public school but University of Pennsylvania is a private school.

Youguysareawesome
08-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Private schools charge everyone the same rate. Its only state universities or public university systems that have different tuition rates.

A way to tell the difference is in the name. Pennsylvania State University is a public school but University of Pennsylvania is a private school.

lol, I realize that. I'm talking about public colleges and universities that charge everyone the same rate regardless of residency or status. Go back a page or two and read about a few of them.

HOPEFULDREAMER
08-07-2008, 04:04 PM

There's also exceptions to the rule, i.e. University of Florida and University of Georgia.

drock226
08-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Does anyone know about the community college in NY called RCC?

I was just wondering that even if you are undocumented, are you still able to go there as an NY resident?

I have lived in NY for about 8 years now, but I was supposed to leave 7 years ago because my visa expired. I know that to go RCC one must be a resident of NY but do you have to be a legal one?

quaker
08-08-2008, 02:58 AM
Does anyone know about the community college in NY called RCC?

I was just wondering that even if you are undocumented, are you still able to go there as an NY resident?

I have lived in NY for about 8 years now, but I was supposed to leave 7 years ago because my visa expired. I know that to go RCC one must be a resident of NY but do you have to be a legal one?

If you graduated from a New York high-school then you should qualify for in-state from any school within NY.

Here is the description from CUNY (which can be applied to other schools as well): (http://web.cuny.edu/about/citizenship/info4undocumented/tuition.html)

In-State Tuition Issues

All students, including undocumented students, benefit from a 2001 New York State law that expanded who can qualify for resident tuition. That law allows students, including undocumented students, to pay resident tuition if they:
were enrolled in CUNY for the Fall 2001 semester, and qualified for in-state tuition at that time; or
attended a New York State high school for two or more years, graduated, and applied to attend a CUNY institution within five years of receiving a New York State diploma; or
attended an approved New York State program for the GED exam preparation, received a Graduate Equivalency Diploma (GED) from New York State, and applied to attend a CUNY institution within five years of receiving the New York State GED.

Nick
08-08-2008, 10:01 PM
These things are exactly what I am talking about. If there are exceptions, from personal experiences or otherwise, we should add those to the original post. This is a very valuable resource that we have here. We just need to consolidate the information. If there are nuances, those should be included or elaborated elsewhere and linked from here.

I tend to refer people who contact us to this post the most. It is a very common question.

Dman
08-14-2008, 11:04 PM
So I guess this is why earlier this year Youguysareawesome found a list of Minnesota schools that gave us in-state tuition. It wasn't the schools that that decided it was actually a bill that was passed and signed by the governor.

The Minnesota Dream Act, which would provide resident tuition rates at state colleges for all high school students regardless of their parents' immigration status, is among MIFN's biggest goals. The act has foundered in the Legislature under a veto threat by Gov. Pawlenty, although in 2007 he signed a similar bill that provided tuition breaks at technical and community colleges.Complete story (http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/style/26844264.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU)

maurolv
08-23-2008, 07:19 PM
CSN (College of Southern Nevada,) which is the Community College in Las Vegas offers in-state tuition as well. Plus, the counselor that I talked to, told me that after I completed 2 years there, he could put me in UNLV as an in-state student as well.

Sucks...that I had to move to Miami, FL, and here I have to pay out-of-state tuition. :cry:

hrvatica13
09-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Thought this would be relevant to this thread:

http://www.aascu.org/media/pm/pdf/in-state_tuition07.pdf

It's called "In-State Tuition for Undocumented Immigrants: States’ Rights and Educational Opportunity" and talks about what states offer instate and other things regarding undocumented students and education. It was published in August 2007. I know it's the same states as before, but I thought it was a good read and wanted to share it.

bgsm892
10-30-2008, 12:01 PM
does anyone have any info about the in state tuition in illinois ? I live in florida and I am moving to chicago to live with my uncle, i plan on attending westwood cc and am wondering if theres anything i can do or if theres any schools that would offer me the tuition

thanks!

hrvatica13
10-30-2008, 01:07 PM
does anyone have any info about the in state tuition in illinois ? I live in florida and I am moving to chicago to live with my uncle, i plan on attending westwood cc and am wondering if theres anything i can do or if theres any schools that would offer me the tuition

thanks!

Unless you graduated from an Illinois HS and have lived in the state for at least 3 years, then you don't qualify for in-state. This is a form (http://www.niu.edu/Admissions/freshman/Undocumented%20Students.pdf) for Nothern Illinois University which says the same thing I said. The name of the bill is called the Illinois General Assembly Public Act 093-07 (http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=093-0007&GA=093).

sady11
11-06-2008, 05:46 PM
question!! what should i mark for my citizenship for my college apps? the money is not something im worried about i just want to get accepted! and go from there. any suggestionss??

Youguysareawesome
11-06-2008, 05:48 PM
question!! what should i mark for my citizenship for my college apps? the money is not something im worried about i just want to get accepted! and go from there. any suggestionss??

Other would be best but whatever you do don't mark citizen. That would disqualify you from ever adjusting if USCIS found out.

angelita20
11-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Delaware also gives in state but i go to a community college so i dont know it is the same for the university..! quick question though... im in nursing and i just found out that i can get into the clinicals qithout a ssn but isnt that part of my education?? the answer that i got from my counsselor was that i needed a ssn because the clinicals happen in hospitals too but then again im a student so i dont get it?

Nick
11-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Other would be best but whatever you do don't mark citizen. That would disqualify you from ever adjusting if USCIS found out.

Not that I encourage people to do that, but, technically, I don't think thats the case.

I was under the impression that you have to claim that you are citizen to a federal or state institution to disqualify you from adjusting with USCIS. Can somebody shed more light on this?

Ayame
11-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Some, i dont know if all, community colleges in New Jersey give you instate tuition.

Youguysareawesome
11-25-2008, 04:49 PM
FAU is supposedly offering tuition waivers to international students with a 3.5 GPA so that they can pay in-state fees.

lolly1
12-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here, and I just wanted to add to the list. I am living proof that the University of Nevada Reno does give in state tuition to undocumented. I just applied this past July and got accepted. All they needed was immunization records, your high school transcript, and your application for admission. If you apply online, the online application has an option if you don't have a SSN. Just click on that option and fill out the rest. You will probably get accepted and voila you can get in state tuition.

I also qualified for the millennium scholarship, which is given to you if you meet certain requirements from when you graduated high school. It is a $15000 scholarship, and can only be used in an institution in Nevada, and it pays around 80% of your tuition costs. I got the paperwork in the mail, and of course it had to ask about your legal status. In small print, it says something like, "I am a US citizen,legal resident, or vow to become legalized soon. You have to initial most of the parts but that was about it. I still don't know if I got it since I start school in January, but I hope I did, and if I did, I will let you know so you can also go for this scholarship if you live in Nevada.

KirbyTank
03-28-2009, 01:41 AM
Hey,

Just wondering.. For the IL requirements it says attended at least 3 yrs of High School in IL. But not stating whether it has to be 3 consecutive years before applying to an IL college.
http://www.dreamact.info/students/in-state/illinois

I kind of started HS as a Sophomore and graduated as a Junior.. so, would there be a work around there? Seeing as if I didn't graduate early, I would've actually been in an IL high school for 3 years.

Or... does the 3 consecutive years prior to applying for college counts for IL as well?

KirbyTank
03-28-2009, 10:48 AM
FAU is supposedly offering tuition waivers to international students with a 3.5 GPA so that they can pay in-state fees.

Really? Are you familiar with the procedures? I have a 3.87 GPA.. But, I don't know exactly who to talk to at the FAU admissions. I mean I can't say outright "I'm undocumented, what are the options?" ... or.. Can I? I know some patriots will report me if I reveal my status to the wrong person even though school employees are not connected to the immigration.

When I applied for the community college here I think I got lucky that the people that knew my status in admissions didn't report me..

hrvatica13
03-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Hey,

Just wondering.. For the IL requirements it says attended at least 3 yrs of High School in IL. But not stating whether it has to be 3 consecutive years before applying to an IL college.
http://www.dreamact.info/students/in-state/illinois

I kind of started HS as a Sophomore and graduated as a Junior.. so, would there be a work around there? Seeing as if I didn't graduate early, I would've actually been in an IL high school for 3 years.

Or... does the 3 consecutive years prior to applying for college counts for IL as well?

Technically I do not think you would qualify since the text does specifically state you needed to attend an IL high school for at least 3 years (doesn't matter if you went to different high schools in IL either).

It does not say anything about living in IL for 3 consecutive years. However, if you talk to the colleges you're applying to, they might let you have in-state tuition if you explain to them that you've been in IL for 3+ years and it's not your fault you're so smart that you graduated early. ;)

I've read the text a few times and can't find any "loophole" around it. There are other states that do say you needed to live in the state for at least 2 or 3 consecutive years, but unfortunately IL is not one of them because it says you needed to be enrolled in high school for that amount of time.

KirbyTank
03-29-2009, 01:40 AM
I didn't live there for 3+ years. I moved soon as I graduated. Probably a huge mistake. I lived there for 2+ years. I was just wondering if I could argue the graduate early part and hope for in state. ;-)

If I need to move back to IL and live for 3 more yrs before getting in state, I'd probably find another route. A 3 year delay in school.. You know what they say, once you stop you don't want to go back. Haha.

youngking99
04-05-2009, 09:40 PM
IM from jersey and we tend to have about the fifth highest immigrant population in the entire country, yet we are not on this list. ITs even more sad how our own governor supports the dream act, but still we are still not on this list. :cry: The question i ask is WHY? COuld it be fear, that we young motivated, hardworking young immigrant generation will surpass their own children.

youngking99
04-21-2009, 01:13 PM
NO NJ, :cry:

Novela
04-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Damn, I wish I hadn't graduated High School from Florida!!!

This state is too prejudiced. Ugh.

prettyjolie
04-28-2009, 02:58 AM
I graduated from FL, and as far as I know, it doesn't mean shit.

I tried to go to community college, but I had to pay out of state tuition, and I lived in FL 11 years.

bertrann92
04-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I have a few questions about the instate tuition this means that you have to pay the price that state residents do right? If so a person who is processing her residency is able to receive any financial aid?

One more thing does MIT offers any help to students processing their residency?

I have a whole lot more of college related questions is this the right threas to post them?

DA User
05-15-2009, 08:28 PM
I went to high school in California and paid in tuition fees in California and got my Bachelor's degree. Will I qualify? I later moved to Texas.

eduardo73190
05-21-2009, 02:59 AM
tx is there but idk how to do all that

Rai
06-13-2009, 11:02 PM
I was able to get in-state tuition here in Florida. 8)

I go to Valencia CC, apparently they don't even want to give kids that were born here in state tuition regardless of having records all the way back to kindergarten, having a valid DL's, etc.

All I did to get in-state tuition was get records of my dad's taxes from a year back (my father has his own SSN, and I have a Tax Payer ID Number), and prove that I was living in the state. Wrote a letter and got it notarized.

And viola! In-state tuition in the state of Florida.

Junnymonkey7
06-15-2009, 01:11 AM
I go to University of Illinois, they require me to fill out a 4 page form in order to apply for in-state tuition, I tried last year and was declined.

It asks for so many requirements like my parents drivers license, tax-return forms, visa, passports, etc.

anyone know if theres an easy way to apply for instate tuition? how did you guys apply for it? :-P

ahmadmz
08-03-2009, 01:57 AM
I went to a TX highschool for 2 years and graduated in 2003. Later that year i took 2 classes at a community college. Now after so many years i am in California and starting community college again. After 2 years i plan to transfer to a university but will not be able to afford the out of state tuition.

If i can transfer to a university in TX however, will i be able to get in-state tuition?

rosemary90
08-03-2009, 02:15 AM
I went to a TX highschool for 2 years and graduated in 2003. Later that year i took 2 classes at a community college. Now after so many years i am in California and starting community college again. After 2 years i plan to transfer to a university but will not be able to afford the out of state tuition.

If i can transfer to a university in TX however, will i be able to get in-state tuition?

You can go here for more info on TX residency.
It's a PDF file written about the requirements to be considered as a resident in TX.

http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?objectid=88AA6092-CF25-54D9-8F91F6CC71CD77AE

ahmadmz
08-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the info rosemary90. Seems like i will need to stay in texas for 12 months before applying in-state.

btc_fl
09-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Yeah, you have to fill an affidavit and get it notarized saying that you've graduated from a Texas high school and went there for 3 consecutive years, or have lived in Texas for at least 12 months.

I graduated high school in fl, plan to move to teas in the future. Can I get in state tuition after living there for 12 months? How? thanks

hkk24
09-21-2009, 11:18 PM
I have a few questions about the instate tuition this means that you have to pay the price that state residents do right? If so a person who is processing her residency is able to receive any financial aid?

One more thing does MIT offers any help to students processing their residency?

I have a whole lot more of college related questions is this the right threas to post them?

most schools will ask you to fill out a hard copy of the fafsa if youre processing your residency in case youre granted permanent residency during the school year.

thebeast
10-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Wiscosin Offers that too. I'm planning on going to Madison next year.

http://www.citytowninfo.com/career-and-education-news/articles/wisconsin-to-offer-in-state-tuition-to-undocumented-students-09070202

thebeast
10-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Wisconsin Has In-state tuition too. Planning on going to UW- madison next year.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/45850022.html

patriot52
12-18-2009, 06:31 PM
I have contacted schools in New York, California, and Illinois and it seems that they request for the potential student to graduate from a local high school in the same state.

For example if the student lives in Massachusetts and wanted to apply for a school in New York, the student will not be accepted for his undocumented status even if he/she wanted to pay non-resident fees.

Broken Arrow
01-08-2010, 10:35 PM
so what's the new list? we need an update =)

King Crab
01-13-2010, 01:51 AM
Hey,

I graduated High School last year in South Carolina (where I currently reside), and I'm just curious if anyone knows any schools with good music programs -- prefferably closer to SC, but anywhere would be technically fine -- that would enroll someone with an expired visa. I'm not really worried about the cost right now, as being able to go to school in the first place is my priority.

Also, I would preffer a school that I could still apply to for the fall semester 2010, but, again, not entirely necessary.

Sorry if I posted this on the wrong thread, but I figured since this has a list of states that are known to take students like me in, someone might know some schools.

M42
01-13-2010, 02:36 AM
Hey,

I graduated High School last year in South Carolina (where I currently reside), and I'm just curious if anyone knows any schools with good music programs -- prefferably closer to SC, but anywhere would be technically fine -- that would enroll someone with an expired visa. I'm not really worried about the cost right now, as being able to go to school in the first place is my priority.

Also, I would preffer a school that I could still apply to for the fall semester 2010, but, again, not entirely necessary.

Sorry if I posted this on the wrong thread, but I figured since this has a list of states that are known to take students like me in, someone might know some schools.

Hey, I live in SC as well and looking to be a music major starting next year :mrgreen:

What instrument(s) do you play? Oh and you can pm me if you want

jefo1
01-28-2010, 07:06 PM
does Florida support this at all

Novela
01-28-2010, 07:19 PM
does Florida support this at all

Nope.

Nick
02-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Could someone run through the list and see if we need to update any information regarding in-state? Any states missing from the list? Any that should be removed? http://dreamact.info/students/in-state

thebeast
02-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Could someone run through the list and see if we need to update any information regarding in-state? Any states missing from the list? Any that should be removed? http://dreamact.info/students/in-state

Wisconsin :-)

daydreamerc
02-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I know this isn't on the subject but are there any Asian American Pacific Islanders who are willing to share their story on our website? Please e-mail me at [email protected].

If you aren't an AAPI, you can also e-mail me your stories too and I will be happy to post them up!

Go check us out at http://aapidream.com

Ok, checked out the website-- there's something wrong with it.

hazeleyelatina
05-12-2010, 01:59 PM
If Meg Whitmen wins the race for governer of california, you might have to take California of that list....

"Meg Whitman: Don't be fooled by misleading ads, my position on immigration is crystal clear. Illegal immigrants are just that, illegal. I am 100 percent against amnesty for illegal immigrants. Period. As Governor, I will crack down on so-called sanctuary cities like San Francisco who thumb their nose at our laws. Illegal immigrants should not expect benefits from the state of California. No driver's license and no admission to state-funded institutions of higher education. And I'll create an economic fence to crack down on employers who break the law by using illegal labor."

One would think that California has bigger problems than good people trying to get an education and better themselfs....I'm getting tierd of this crap, and I live in california..:(

kzepilos
07-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Minnesota also gives you a in-state tution rate if you have lived in the state for 2 years (maybe 3 check on this plz someone) or if you have graduated from a local high school in MN and no questions asked at least for undergrad =)

MalditoDuende
09-17-2010, 08:46 PM
You forgot to mention Nevada. I'm going to western Nevada college in Carson City, I pay instate tuition, and I even got a state scholarship for 10000 dollars which really helps out a lot. I didn't even have to sign any document that said I would try to get legal in the future.

whisperstearz
09-21-2010, 01:03 PM
keep calling

AlexP2
11-16-2010, 04:46 AM
Hopefully Oregon pretty soon! They have been devating giving in-state to non legally residents for sometime! Plus there are a couple of public schools who offer instate (PSU and PCC) to illegals!

jack99
12-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Hopely my state can get there oficials to pass it.

frankly
12-19-2010, 04:20 PM
For those of you that want to receive in-state tuition but have not worked a day in your life in those states, what makes you think that is right? What makes you think that you, as an undocumented and illegal resident, should be able to attend those schools at in-state tuition while the legal resident from another state has to pay out-of-state? You are very lucky that our politicians are too slow to see how greedy you all are. I don't say that to be mean, but it is true, you all are so "gimme gimme gimme" that it is sickening.

withchemicals
12-19-2010, 04:21 PM
For those of you that want to receive in-state tuition but have not worked a day in your life in those states, what makes you think that is right? What makes you think that you, as an undocumented and illegal resident, should be able to attend those schools at in-state tuition while the legal resident from another state has to pay out-of-state? You are very lucky that our politicians are too slow to see how greedy you all are. I don't say that to be mean, but it is true, you all are so "gimme gimme gimme" that it is sickening.

This assumption coming from someone who fails to realize that some of us do work and pay taxes. How amazing.

frankly
12-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Yes it pisses me off how some people say: "They can go to any state and get in state tuition and my american kid can't" they don't know the whole deal!!!

Well, the fact that many are doing that right now gives that legal American resident a right to say that.

You all don't get it from your perspective, but we have been hearing and understanding you all's perspective for a while now.

withchemicals
12-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Well, the fact that many are doing that right now gives that legal American resident a right to say that.

You all don't get it from your perspective, but we have been hearing and understanding you all's perspective for a while now.

Judging by your poor grammar, you're obviously not from California. If American Patriots so value their laws, why can they not respect states rights that have not been overturned by Federal law. What irony they display...

Anyways, California has ruled that they do want people in our situation to obtain instate tuition. They value "our kind" as equally as the other residents, and this has been proven back-to-back by the votes of legal California residents. If you cannot stomach the fact that California residents, including undocumented immigrants, obtain instate tuition, please send your children to another state university system.

Also, I would like to further mention that some of us do have social security numbers that are valid for employment regardless of our status. I'll gladly scan it for you if you'd like (excluding the number, of course).

Claudia_21
01-29-2011, 11:35 PM
kids from Texas need a Texan high school diploma to pay instate tuition in Texas. If they decide to go to college in California, they will have to pay out of state tuition as everyone who moves out in order to go to college in another state

But will the state still help you with the in-state tuition if your an illegal immigrant?

JOH2006
02-22-2011, 12:45 PM
But will the state still help you with the in-state tuition if your an illegal immigrant?

That was exactly my question. I live in Houston, Texas currently i'm in my 3rdish year of community college. I am Struggling to attend School because of the lack of jobs, or the fact that i can't find a descent job for myself. I'm wondering how does someone like myself find those Texas Schools who offer financial aid to an undocumented student as my self?

DareToAct
02-22-2011, 12:56 PM
That was exactly my question. I live in Houston, Texas currently i'm in my 3rdish year of community college. I am Struggling to attend School because of the lack of jobs, or the fact that i can't find a descent job for myself. I'm wondering how does someone like myself find those Texas Schools who offer financial aid to an undocumented student as my self?

Try this : www.aie.org/State/TASFA/

DareToAct
02-22-2011, 12:57 PM
but I warn you that HCC takes forever for this to be fully evaluated.

ecnys
03-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Some questions... How do you prove you've lived in-state for X years after high school? I actually moved out of Illinois shortly after graduating because I had no plans for college at the time. My parents still have a house and bank account in their name though, will that do? Or do I need X years worth of bills? Are some schools more lenient than others?

cooltalker
03-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Some questions... How do you prove you've lived in-state for X years after high school?

They don't verify it. They just verify if you attended a Texas high school for 36 months and graduated from it (by looking at your transcript). They just take your word for it when you sign the residency affidavit: https://www.applytexas.org/adappc/docs/residency_1403.pdf

I am speaking from experience. I moved to New Mexico for 4 months to get a license, and then moved back to Texas and applied for college. They only cared about the transcript and the residency affidavit.

ecnys
03-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Ah... Well I'm SOL, only spent my final semester in IL and it looks like (http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency/summary.cfm) 3 years of schooling is required there too. I don't suppose there's any leeway here?

mrnebula
03-27-2011, 04:45 PM
http://colorlines.com/archives/2010/11/dreamers_get_major_support_from_latino_news_anchor_jorge_ramos.html

check this link out

chillipixel
06-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Terrific read, aaaah Florida????

2Face
06-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Connecticut should be added to this list.

Chyno
07-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Did Malloy signed it already? I can't find anything about it on google. Also if he did signed, when are the schools suppose to apply this law? I'm waiting on this so I can transfer to uconn.

HJ1992
07-20-2011, 10:40 AM
You guys should add Connecticut now :)

Skye345
09-27-2011, 11:59 PM
I graduated from FL, and as far as I know, it doesn't mean shit.

I tried to go to community college, but I had to pay out of state tuition, and I lived in FL 11 years.
I know how you feel. I graduated from Maryland, and just as I would be going to Community College, the governor signed a bill for in-state. I'm all happy thinking an outside scholarship will cover it. Then 2-3 days before the bill goes into effect, a referendum is drummed up--misinforming people of course. Nevermind that we would jump through hoops to prove residency and good intention.

I ended up having to pay in-state tuition of which my scholarship only covers 1/4. Lucky me, eh?

I've lived inMaryland for 8 years, went through elementary, middle, and high school here.

Alex QA
09-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Undocumented high school students graduating from Rhode Island schools will be able to take advantage of the state's in-state tuition program beginning next year.

The Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education voted to adopt a policy Monday that allows undocumented students to pay state resident tuition to attend Rhode Island's public colleges

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/27/rhode-island-education-bo_n_983386.html?ir=Latino%20Voices

Annesley
10-10-2011, 01:32 AM
kindly share the tuition fees so that one can make a budget for tuition , if needed. kindly update if you will also provide scholarship for any discipline.

GNIGHT
10-12-2011, 04:45 PM
How bout some of the states that don't require a student to have graduated from a local high school? California is an exception.

elihu
10-12-2011, 07:51 PM
You don't have to have graduated in Connecticut, but you must have attended for four years and gotten a GED. It's probably similar in other states, though you never know until you check.

GNIGHT
10-13-2011, 02:49 AM
It's almost more than sure that every state follows this policy. See, I'm from NY and everything is just becoming too expensive for me starting with rent. I wanna start again at a different state.

Perseverance
11-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Thank god, it's a step in the right direction.

mikesandy
12-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Thank god, it's a step in the right direction.
Agreed.

Juan92
06-23-2012, 10:31 PM
does florida allow it ?

Forum313
06-23-2012, 10:36 PM
I guess nothing new for VA students? :'(

beachgirlx19
08-10-2012, 07:49 PM
I live in New Jersey and I was eligible for 2 years tuition free but I couldn't fill it out because I can't provide FAFSA with a valid social security card, so I went to the lady in charge of the program. She said I will be charged regular in-tuition fee and she said it is up to the college, not necessarily a state to decide what they will charge .

ferchor2
08-21-2012, 05:26 PM
I live in New Jersey and I was eligible for 2 years tuition free but I couldn't fill it out because I can't provide FAFSA with a valid social security card, so I went to the lady in charge of the program. She said I will be charged regular in-tuition fee and she said it is up to the college, not necessarily a state to decide what they will charge .

what school is that??? i want to go to county college of Morris in nj but they want me to pay out of state tuition and i cant afford that?? please help

beachgirlx19
08-23-2012, 03:36 PM
I just don't understand how stuff works. Wasn't Nebraska one to deny driving licenses for those who are granted Deferred Action? So why are they giving in-state tuition and are on the list? ahhhh. and the school was Bergen Community College.

Phanu9000
08-27-2012, 05:14 PM
When is Connecticut going to be added???? We don't want to misinform our fellow Dreamers now.

amoney3
08-27-2012, 05:23 PM
For NY dreamers. Apply to http://www.macaulay.cuny.edu ... it's a FULL 4-year ride if you get in, a free macbook, and $7500 for internships and study abroad (too bad we can't :( )

melissamar
08-31-2012, 04:02 AM
I was able to receive in state tuition for NJ also. I think when i apply i left that question unanswered and once i was accepted they never asked me.

compedude29
08-31-2012, 03:20 PM
DREAMers that are in CA can now get financial aid go to http://www.csac.ca.gov/dream_act.asp and apply. They will open up Cal Grants for the 2013-2014 school year so apply. I applied this summer and I got aid, most of my tuition is paid for a semester. I only have to pay 500 bucks.

AdreamernamedNatasha
08-31-2012, 06:17 PM
I guess nothing new for VA students? :'(

va sucks soooo much the only good thing they did is finally grant us our liscence once we get through with daca. they werent going to at first. smh

Girl09
09-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi guys,
Does anyone know anything about Massachusetts schools? Will we be able to get in state tuition?
Thanks

2Face
09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
When is Connecticut going to be added???? We don't want to misinform our fellow Dreamers now.

Yes, admins please update this list when you get a chance. Connecticut offers in-state tuition now to dreamers.

nessalittrell7
09-07-2012, 05:15 PM
First of all, let me clarify that the DREAM Act its not only about in-state tuition. There is a number of states that already give in-state tuition to undocumented students that qualify, but a college degree is worth crap when you can't use it in the only country you love and know. And this is why we want everyone to be aware that our DREAM not only consist of affordable college education, but of a chance for a better job and better living standars. And that...is the American DREAM.

The following is a list of states that give in-state tuition to undocumented students that satisfy certain requirements.
Not every "illegal" will be accepted in college and therefore the ignorant question: "why my son who is going to college in California has to pay out of state tuition when these illegals pay in-state?" will be answered.

Every state has its own particular requirements, and details vary from state to state, but basically all of them agree in:

**The student must have a state high school diploma. (kids from Texas need a Texan high school diploma to pay instate tuition in Texas. If they decide to go to college in California, they will have to pay out of state tuition as everyone who moves out in order to go to college in another state.)

**The student must at least have lived in the state for 3 consecutive years prior college application.(To those who oppose us getting in-state when their kids dont when they move to Texas for college: Well, if your kid had lived in Texas for 3 years before applying to college like us, he/she would also have gotten in-state tuition. So, stop complaining)

**The student must sing a letter in which he/she assures that will try to become "legal" once they have the chance to do so.

Now, finally, the list.

http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/DREAM/in-state_tuition_basicfacts_041706.pdf

**Texas
**California
**Utah
**Washington
**New York
**Oklahoma
**Illinois
**Kansas
**New Mexico
**Nebraska

If you know of any other state that gives in-state tuition to certain undocumented students and its not listed here, please let me know to keep this list updated. Please provide a link to an article that confirms that such state is (or will), in fact, give in-state tuition.

Rhode Island too

kathysure
09-08-2012, 01:44 PM
DREAMers that are in CA can now get financial aid go to http://www.csac.ca.gov/dream_act.asp and apply. They will open up Cal Grants for the 2013-2014 school year so apply. I applied this summer and I got aid, most of my tuition is paid for a semester. I only have to pay 500 bucks.
Hello i have a question for you...when u sent ur apps to AZ lockbox did u ever checked ur tracking number the one that usps gave u?? Because mine said it was received at chase bank building and the person who signed was A Juarez ?? im a little confuse??/ i sent my apps on the 5th they got it on the 6th

techrunner
09-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Does anybody know if Florida is included?

NeverLookBack
09-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Does anybody know if Florida is included?

I'd also like to know!!! I'd think they will cause Florida has quite a big population of immigrants, especially Miami area! If not today, I'm sure some day they will.

techrunner
09-13-2012, 09:59 PM
I'd also like to know!!! I'd think they will cause Florida has quite a big population of immigrants, especially Miami area! If not today, I'm sure some day they will.

Yeah, the only thing probably stopping it is the governor; a conservative Republican.
I've heard of many colleges in Miami that accept dreamers- yet I don't know if the tuition was instate or out of state.

NeverLookBack
09-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Yeah, the only thing probably stopping it is the governor; a conservative Republican.
I've heard of many colleges in Miami that accept dreamers- yet I don't know if the tuition was instate or out of state.

I heard that Miami - Dade college accepts in-state tuition for Dreamers. But it's what I heard and I never got to check it yet.
I wish, then i'll be able to start college. The community college in my area, Daytona Beach, asked for $8,000 a SEMESTER! I don't think anybody is paying that much a semester! It's insane how they expecting us to pay so much without us even being able to work in regualr jobs like everyone ekse.
:confused:

KirchoffRegime
09-14-2012, 01:54 PM
In Oregon, Portland State University will give you instate tuition if you graduated from an Oregon High School and your parents have paid taxes for the last 2 years. I didn't know this until recently and ended up doing 2 years at a Portland Community College. Now that I know I will be transferring in and getting a Bachelors degree instead of just an Associates degree.

hedge1
09-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Can you give me advice how to do that. I am enrolled and paying instate tuition. But paying 500 is much better for me. Thanks

techrunner
09-15-2012, 12:27 AM
I heard that Miami - Dade college accepts in-state tuition for Dreamers. But it's what I heard and I never got to check it yet.
I wish, then i'll be able to start college. The community college in my area, Daytona Beach, asked for $8,000 a SEMESTER! I don't think anybody is paying that much a semester! It's insane how they expecting us to pay so much without us even being able to work in regualr jobs like everyone ekse.
:confused:

Yeah, I thought I read that somewhere.
I was thinking of moving to Miami because of this. I figured If I could save thousands a year on tuition- I could pay off my tuition and all utilities and still have money left over.
Paying $ 8,000 a semester is high, that's why so many can only afford to take a few classes every semester- and end up graduating in twice the time a regular instate student would.
I really wish FL was more like CA; where being a dreamer is not an obstacle to complete a higher education.

nikkim
09-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Some colleges in florida do give in state tuotion to us.

nikkim
09-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Palm beach state gives us instate

techrunner
09-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Palm beach state gives us instate

Really? That's great! Do you go to that school?
I just searched there tuition rate, it's at $2,324- for instate!
Too bad I live 4 hours away, otherwise I'd apply immediately.

Thanks for your input!

NeverLookBack
09-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Some colleges in florida do give in state tuotion to us.

You know which of them are? I'd love to know, no kidding!

I was thinking of moving to Miami because of this. I figured If I could save thousands a year on tuition- I could pay off my tuition and all utilities and still have money left over.
Paying $ 8,000 a semester is high, that's why so many can only afford to take a few classes every semester- and end up graduating in twice the time a regular instate student would.
I really wish FL was more like CA; where being a dreamer is not an obstacle to complete a higher education.

And I thought I read somewhere that now Florida grants in-state tuition for kids whom their parents are illegal. But I think only to those kids who were born here. It's one step at a time, soon enough in-state tuition for Dreamers will be granted in:p Florida as well I believe.

Tanzina009
09-19-2012, 05:08 PM
why is the maker of this thread banned? o.O

Leap of Faith
09-19-2012, 08:59 PM
the 2 Florida Universities I know of are: FAU (Florida Atlantic University) and FIU (Florida International University). They give in-state tuition to those who have been granted deferred action.

NeverLookBack
09-19-2012, 09:03 PM
the 2 Florida Universities I know of are: FAU (Florida Atlantic University) and FIU (Florida International University). They give in-state tuition to those who have been granted deferred action.

Is this for real? Is it really happening?! Oh hell I'm so overwhelmed with emotions right now! I can't wait to move down to Miami and start college already!

Did anybody confirm this information? :roll:

Leap of Faith
09-20-2012, 10:22 AM
FAU, FIU, and UF provide in-state tuition the recipients of DACA. So does Broward College. I know personally that Broward College, FAU, and UF need you to provide evidence of being legally present in the state for at least a year. (Legal for us is DACA)

FAU Residency Guidelines (Go down to Section VI and scroll down a bit)
http://www.fau.edu/admissions/ResidencyGuidelines.php

FIU Residency Guidelines (Scroll down to page 9)
http://admissions.fiu.edu/how/forms/Residency_Guidelines.pdf

UF Residency Guidelines
http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/residency/exc3.html

NeverLookBack
09-20-2012, 11:19 AM

Aw that's great!!!
You think we could apply for Bright Future's scholarship? Or Financial aid?

Leap of Faith
09-20-2012, 12:23 PM
^Unfortunately, no. We don't qualify for any type of federal aid. You can get scholarships that don't have strict residency requirements, or sometimes your school of choice will have scholarships for certain majors, or if you meet certain requirements (GPA, etc). For me, FAU has some transfer scholarships that I'm hoping to apply for. I'm also looking into other scholarships I find from scholarship sites that I'm eligible for. Besides that, the rest I'll have to work to pay for.

NeverLookBack
09-20-2012, 12:35 PM
^Unfortunately, no. We don't qualify for any type of federal aid. You can get scholarships that don't have strict residency requirements, or sometimes your school of choice will have scholarships for certain majors, or if you meet certain requirements (GPA, etc). For me, FAU has some transfer scholarships that I'm hoping to apply for. I'm also looking into other scholarships I find from scholarship sites that I'm eligible for. Besides that, the rest I'll have to work to pay for.

Got it, nothing comes easy in life after all lol.. I'll have to work extra hard to pay for the full tuition.
Thank you very much for the info! I just may got to FAU afterall.. :-D

aledreamer19
09-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Does anyone know if Arkansas gives in-state tuition.

Hey, I'm not sure on all the details but I heard U of A in Fayetteville does in state tuition.

Hulkster
09-22-2012, 08:59 PM
I also live in Florida & I am just grateful that soon I will be able to not only get a job but also drive without fear of getting pulled over or for some reason have ICE on my back. I'm just praying that God change the governor's heart so that he can allow in-state tuition.. It would make things much more easier & affordable. But with our ssn wouldn't we be able to put that on our scholarship applications? Is there anything that I missed stating that it was illegal for us to do so? It would be great if we could, & we would have the same rights as those that are legal here which btw I never like how some people say we steal the jobs of others & take the seats of others who have the right to go to college.. As far as I know, You work for what you want, you aren't born into getting treated better than anyone else.. I graduated 27th in my class so I sure as hell deserve a chance to go to college.. & I sure as hell deserve in-state tuition. I really do hope things will look up in the future.. :) We'll just have to wait & find out I guess. Keep praying guys!! God hears our prayers

NeverLookBack
09-23-2012, 12:48 PM
I also live in Florida & I am just grateful that soon I will be able to not only get a job but also drive without fear of getting pulled over or for some reason have ICE on my back. I'm just praying that God change the governor's heart so that he can allow in-state tuition.. It would make things much more easier & affordable. But with our ssn wouldn't we be able to put that on our scholarship applications? Is there anything that I missed stating that it was illegal for us to do so? It would be great if we could, & we would have the same rights as those that are legal here which btw I never like how some people say we steal the jobs of others & take the seats of others who have the right to go to college.. As far as I know, You work for what you want, you aren't born into getting treated better than anyone else.. I graduated 27th in my class so I sure as hell deserve a chance to go to college.. & I sure as hell deserve in-state tuition. I really do hope things will look up in the future.. :) We'll just have to wait & find out I guess. Keep praying guys!! God hears our prayers

It depends which scholarships you apply to. Some ask for residency or citizenship and some just ask for a social. Good luck my dear!

Pesos
09-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Idaho does not give in-state tuition, but I found out about a way to get through that restriction. Every college has an Affidavit of Residency available in their website, everyone has to submit that even if you were born here.

I filled mine out, let the SSN blank, and just simply stated that I have been residing in my county for 12 consecutive months. I sent it in, and it got rejected. They asked for proof (bills, tax returns, etc.) so I sent that, they sent it back with another rejection. So I talked to a teacher in my high school (I was doing College Credit in High School) and he recommended I go talk to the County judge. I took it to the County judge in the court, and she signed it without questions.

I used that same accepted Affidavit to get in-state tuition in the college that I'm currently attending. Maybe this only works in small counties?

engineergirl
09-23-2012, 05:14 PM
You know, NM has had in state tuition AND state aid and scholarships for years. I am very lucky I got my college paid for, including books. In state tuition is cheap here: $2700 a semester, not including books or other expenses. I'd be thinking that NM would be full of Dreamers but it is not.

choukette
09-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Someone mentioned Maryland....let me tell u that Maryland already does allow in states tuition for illegal students but you have to be a high school graduate of the state. However they are considering in state tuition for all illegals residing in the state.

marcarva
09-24-2012, 11:33 AM
I was able to get in-state tuition from Indiana but unfortunately last year it changed and a lot of my friends were affected by it, I was lucky enough to finish my degree before I had to pay out of state

choukette
09-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Hey I read something on page 1 about Maryland considering the dream act what is that about? can some plz elaborate

I posted something about Maryland giving in-state tuition to the high school graduates of the state. If you are asking about Maryland granting the dream act then you are dreaming lol. That can only be done at the federal level. However there's a bill called Maryland's dream act which is aimed at providing in state tuition for ALL illegals living in the state of MD. They will vote on it this coming November.

Mitcoolhai
09-24-2012, 04:06 PM

Hi mitul my name is also mitul. R u Patel?

zinara
09-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Anyone here have any advice for New Jersey college students? Im so happy about deferred action but honestly still feel a bit stuck because of the cost of tuition in NJ. Im a currrntly paying instate at a community college.

ferchor2
09-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Anyone here have any advice for New Jersey college students? Im so happy about deferred action but honestly still feel a bit stuck because of the cost of tuition in NJ. Im a currrntly paying instate at a community college.

what county college do you go to?

Rogue414
09-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Someone mentioned Maryland....let me tell u that Maryland already does allow in states tuition for illegal students but you have to be a high school graduate of the state. However they are considering in state tuition for all illegals residing in the state.

MD does not give in-state tuition. MD DA will go on vote in November.

zinara
09-26-2012, 03:22 PM

Hudson County Comm College

cutestar1989
09-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Yay I'm from Illinois

Rogue414
09-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Does FL allow In-state tuition?

afloo12345
09-29-2012, 01:34 PM
someone needs to re-do this thread. op is banned and this is still a frequent question now that everyone is trying to go back to college.

NeverLookBack
09-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Does FL allow In-state tuition?

No, I wish! I'm from Florida as well.
However, if you get your EAD through DACA, then some colleges in FL allow you to have in-state tuition. I heard that FSU and FIU allow in-state tuition to deferred action applicants.
Best of luck hun!

oceanandii
09-29-2012, 11:25 PM
well with a degree in political science you can get a job that is not minimum wage. you are also seen as an educated individual who wishes to prosper. It is not just about 'getting a job', its about being educated and not ignorant about world issues. Politica Science teaches all that in which the individual needs to be able to protect himself: the right to life, liberty, and pursue of happiness.

well obviously, but thats the exact point...ITS MONEY. With a crappy job making a few bucks a day, these families can only afford food! Its a lot more complicated than what you make it seem to be, but i agree with you how important it is to be :|educated, but like i said...its tough when you are in their shoes...

oceanandii
09-29-2012, 11:32 PM
If Meg Whitmen wins the race for governer of california, you might have to take California of that list....

"Meg Whitman: Don't be fooled by misleading ads, my position on immigration is crystal clear. Illegal immigrants are just that, illegal. I am 100 percent against amnesty for illegal immigrants. Period. As Governor, I will crack down on so-called sanctuary cities like San Francisco who thumb their nose at our laws. Illegal immigrants should not expect benefits from the state of California. No driver's license and no admission to state-funded institutions of higher education. And I'll create an economic fence to crack down on employers who break the law by using illegal labor."

One would think that California has bigger problems than good people trying to get an education and better themselfs....I'm getting tierd of this crap, and I live in california..:(

lets just push our fellow legal friends to help us all out to make sure she is not voted in...my sister and cousins are very involved in this sort of thing, were going to kick ass my friend! a democratic state like our cali. can't house a psycho like those nazis from arizona...no way, besides...WE have the highest number of illegal immigrants, Meg Whitman-YAH RIGHT! ;)

oceanandii
09-29-2012, 11:45 PM

its too bad, i already made a payment plan "out of state tuition' for the semester, -.- a little over 3,000 for three classes :oops: i will for sure before the spring semester next year ;/ hey, by the way, how did your school admission and records office people handle it? im scared ill get like a mean lady, that will be loud, arrogant and give me a hard time :shock:

techrunner
10-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Aw that's great!!!
You think we could apply for Bright Future's scholarship? Or Financial aid?

That would be awesome!

blueshores
10-03-2012, 03:19 AM
Does anyone know about Wisconsin. From what I know in-state was approved but then the governor pretty much took it out , anyone from the Midwest that may know ????

MexiCAN-NOT-MEXICANNOT
10-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferchor2

Im from jersey city as well.. But how did u apply without ssn?

Rogue414
10-07-2012, 04:48 PM
No, I wish! I'm from Florida as well.
However, if you get your EAD through DACA, then some colleges in FL allow you to have in-state tuition. I heard that FSU and FIU allow in-state tuition to deferred action applicants.
Best of luck hun!

Thx I will look into it. I may move to Panama City next year, if the MD doesn't pass this November.

ferchor2
10-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Quote:

they let in undocumented in if they meet the fallowing... this is from their website but we have to pay out of states which is $347.50 per credit :sad:

"Admissions Policy for Undocumented Applicants
Individuals who do not hold a non-immigrant visa can be admitted to the college if they:

1) Can provide proof of entrance into the United States before the age of 16 and are under the age of 35
2) Provide proof of having resided in the United States for at least five years without interruption
3) Provide proof of having graduated from an American high school or obtaining a GED or equivalent, or if they meet other conditional admissions requirements.

Undocumented individuals who satisfy those requirements would pay the out-of-state tuition rate regardless of whether they reside in Morris County, New Jersey, or another state entirely.

The college continues to reserve the right to refuse admission to any applicant where there is evidence that the individual would endanger the health or safety of himself/herself or others.

Undocumented individuals may not apply online, however they are more than welcome to fill out a paper application and submit that along with the $30.00 application fee, which can be found by clicking here.

If you have any further questions, you may send an inquiry to our e-mail address, [email protected]"

http://www.ccm.edu/admissions/apply/undocumented.aspx

Djdieg007
10-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know about Wisconsin. From what I know in-state was approved but then the governor pretty much took it out , anyone from the Midwest that may know ????

No more in state tuition.

drakma675
10-09-2012, 11:10 AM
In Memphis tn there are 2 schools that give in state tuition. That's Christian brothers university and victory university.

zinara
10-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:

They let me apply w/o an ssn. And it's in-state tuition. I don't know if rules have changed in the last year or so. I just provided my address, proof of address (utility bills, statements, etc) and I was accepted at the in-state rate. You should talk to someone there.

Tortoise77
10-09-2012, 12:02 PM

You are fine! Everyone in NJ knows very well the undocumented population. I live in NJ and I applied to NJCU straight after high school. They didnt care I didnt have a s.s# didnt even question me or looked at me bad. They know it and they dont care. Stop being fearful. If you go to hudson ( assuming you're an A+ student) its a straight acceptance to NJCU and any NJ university.

robotics2070
10-09-2012, 09:37 PM
For NY dreamers. Apply to http://www.macaulay.cuny.edu ... it's a FULL 4-year ride if you get in, a free macbook, and $7500 for internships and study abroad (too bad we can't :( )

only for NY residents?

MexiCAN-NOT-MEXICANNOT
10-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Thx for the info. Maybe we can meet up someday. Good luck.

angelz_beauty7410
10-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Thx for the info. Maybe we can meet up someday. Good luck.

omggg i like your username :)

zinara
10-12-2012, 12:51 PM
You are fine! Everyone in NJ knows very well the undocumented population. I live in NJ and I applied to NJCU straight after high school. They didnt care I didnt have a s.s# didnt even question me or looked at me bad. They know it and they dont care. Stop being fearful. If you go to hudson ( assuming you're an A+ student) its a straight acceptance to NJCU and any NJ university.

Okay. I have a couple of questions. Did you get in-state tuition at NJCU? What did you study? Do you think its a good college for accounting? And what do you mean by any NJ university? I was at Rutgers Newark for a year and I had to pay international student tuition.

Would love to get some advice on this!

MexiCAN-NOT-MEXICANNOT
10-14-2012, 12:00 PM
How much did u pay at futures newark?? I sent to cuny bmcc to be exact and i payed over 10,000 a year

nydreamer
10-14-2012, 12:02 PM
How much did u pay at futures newark?? I sent to cuny bmcc to be exact and i payed over 10,000 a year

That's insane, I only pay 2,100 a semester at BMCC.

MexiCAN-NOT-MEXICANNOT
10-14-2012, 05:16 PM
But i live in nj... Thats why i payed That much. I tried to Find a way to pay instate tuition but it didnt work.

Stephanie61593
10-14-2012, 05:32 PM
If you go to BCC you pay like 2500 for 15 credits in NJ.

zinara
10-16-2012, 05:00 PM

I paid too much for Rutgers Newark and I'm horribly ashamed about it. I had to take out a loan, with a cosigner, and now I'm jobless, college-degreeless, creditless, and already in debt! worst idea ever.

I think the best thing to do if you're a NJ DREAMer is start at a NJ community college and then try to get some kind of scholarship that will transfer to an NJ university. I'm going to try to apply to a CUNY college for fall of next year. It will be very expensive, but if all goes well, the money will be worth the investment, now that we will actually be able to work and get ahead with your careers.

iazv8
10-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Will probably end up doing my local university again, UMKC ,even though it would be out of state tuition, since MU and KU are college towns and I need to be close to the city to make money/live with parents or roommates to save $$$

CaliDreamin
10-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Hi guys hoping someone can help me out. I'm trying to determine if there is any way for me to pay in state tuition in California. I went to high school in Idaho and graduated there also. I moved to California after graduation and have been here for 6 years now. Does anyone know if I am eligible for in state tuition or do I have to pay out of state tuition since I did not go to a California high school, nor did I graduate from a CA HS.

Thanks in advance for any advice/ info...

Stephanie61593
10-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Idk if this is relevant in this thread to be honest but I was wondering if any of you know of good websites to find scholarships for us (undocumented) students because I know most websites give/math you with scholarships that you have to be a"US citizen or legal resident." Thanks

Rev_Scholar
10-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Does anyone here know if you can get in-state tuition in PA? Is there a way to do it?

DeeJamilia
11-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Maryland has in state tuition.

DeeJamilia
11-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Hi guys hoping someone can help me out. I'm trying to determine if there is any way for me to pay in state tuition in California. I went to high school in Idaho and graduated there also. I moved to California after graduation and have been here for 6 years now. Does anyone know if I am eligible for in state tuition or do I have to pay out of state tuition since I did not go to a California high school, nor did I graduate from a CA HS.

Thanks in advance for any advice/ info...

I know in Maryland if you didn't grad HS in md but you now reside there you would then have to pay out of state tuition. I'm not to sure about Cali but go go google and look it up.

Kaisaurus
11-03-2012, 05:28 PM
I am also in Jersey city and will be going back to Hudson county to hopefully finish my degree. The last time I was enrolled was over 6 years ago. I hope that I can somehow piggy back on the info they have on file to get instate tuition again.

dreamerant
11-03-2012, 08:04 PM

Hello! Where did you read this? I've heard of FIU UF and FAU offering instate tuition for DACA but haven't heard of MDC.

Also I keep hearing we have to wait a year after getting our DACA approved before we apply?

Please let me know any info you may have! Thanks!

Rev_Scholar
11-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Would it be OK to just list that you are a USC or perm resident on the college applications? You can't get in trouble in the future when adjusting statuses, right? Since they're not going to check what you listed on a college application way back.

Has anyone done this to get in-state tuition? Because it sounds good to me; just marking perm resident instead of "other" on the college residents saves you having to sh*t out at least 25K per year for college because you would have to pay out-of-state costs - Which is complete bullshit because you live there and pay taxes to the state anyways.

Emeza1
11-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Anyone know about if Indiana is giving in-state tution?

OpuLance
11-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Living in Ohio right now, I believe Ohio should be on the list too because of the Forever Buckeye program. This gives any students who graduated from any Ohio high schools an in-state tuition to any colleges in Ohio. You will also be consider Ohio resident. I didn't even know about this until like a week ago.

Rev_Scholar
11-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Would it be OK to just list that you are a USC or perm resident on the college applications? You can't get in trouble in the future when adjusting statuses, right? Since they're not going to check what you listed on a college application way back.

Has anyone done this to get in-state tuition? Because it sounds good to me; just marking perm resident instead of "other" on the college residents saves you having to sh*t out at least 25K per year for college because you would have to pay out-of-state costs - Which is complete bullshit because you live there and pay taxes to the state anyways.
Anyone?

msaccountant
11-07-2012, 01:35 PM
^I doubt anyone can get away with that without getting into some sort of trouble.

Maryland needs to be included by the way! Yay!

Rev_Scholar
11-07-2012, 08:25 PM
^I doubt anyone can get away with that without getting into some sort of trouble.

Maryland needs to be included by the way! Yay!
I've read on college websites and the worst they've said about lying about residency will equal suspension from the college. That's nothing next to having to sh**t out an insane amount of money because you pay out-of-state tuition and no freakin' financial aid.

Iporras
11-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I don't know if this has been already mentioned, but MSU-Denver offers a tuition rate especially for dreamers. The first school in Colorado to do so, thanks to the President of the University and with opposition from the state. So...its pretty cool!

xfitter22
11-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Lol I think I might move to Washington state since they legalized Maryjane and they have in-state tuition, its time to puff,puff and study. Jk

FrankoKid
11-08-2012, 04:42 PM
ARIZONA DREAMERS
So I went today and asked what I needed to register and pay for tuition they said a drivers license which I had one but it just expired yesterday ( I had my court date yesterday I was in removal proceedings) they said I cant pay instate tuition, they are still debating whats going to happen, anyone know ? Anyone familiar with this that lives in AZ ? How did you register and pay instate tuition if you did ?

Fresita101
11-09-2012, 06:39 PM
FAU, FIU, and UF provide in-state tuition the recipients of DACA. So does Broward College. I know personally that Broward College, FAU, and UF need you to provide evidence of being legally present in the state for at least a year. (Legal for us is DACA)

UF Residency Guidelines

Does broward college really give daca applicants instate? If so how do you know?

Fresita101
11-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Does anyone know if broward college Here in florida give daca applicants instate tuition? How do you know?

beachgirlx19
11-13-2012, 02:20 PM
I live in New Jersey, and I go to Bergen Community college, I wasn't able to receive financial aid obviously, but I talked to one of the ladies that works there, and she said they will and are charging me in-state tuition, and she also said it depends on the policy of not necessarily the state, but also the college itself.

beachgirlx19
11-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Okay, I graduated high school in June, 2012. I was eligible for a program called NJ STARS - the state pays for 2 years worth of tuition for a community college - which I go to - Bergen Community College, I couldn't apply because it came from FAFSA, so I went to talk to the lady that runs the program and I told her my situation. She said she felt really bad because there wasn't anything she can do. Butttttt, today, she sent me a letter! and it says, "By now you know all about NJ Stars and that as a in the top 15% percentile of your NJ high school graduating class, you are eligible for free tuition from the state of NJ. What you may not know is that it is not too late to apply! .....then a lot of more other stuff, and then it says " We will have an NJ STARS information session taking place december 20th, 2012 2:00 p.m"
Why would she send me the letter if she knew about my position? She took my application in late August and apologized. I thought she would take out of the system or something. Do you think it's just a common error since I was on the list to begin with or do I still have a chance?

On their website it says Students who meet the top 15 percent requirement must first apply for all other federal and state financial aid available to them by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually within New Jersey's deadline. If a student receives financial aid, NJ STARS will cover the remaining cost of tuition. If a student is not eligible for financial aid, NJ STARS will cover the entire cost of tuition.

You can check out more of the details here: http://njstars.net/

-BTW my social security card came today, DMV this week !

Stephanie61593
11-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Okay, I graduated high school in June, 2012. I was eligible for a program called NJ STARS - the state pays for 2 years worth of tuition for a community college - which I go to - Bergen Community College, I couldn't apply because it came from FAFSA, so I went to talk to the lady that runs the program and I told her my situation. She said she felt really bad because there wasn't anything she can do. Butttttt, today, she sent me a letter! and it says, "By now you know all about NJ Stars and that as a in the top 15% percentile of your NJ high school graduating class, you are eligible for free tuition from the state of NJ. What you may not know is that it is not too late to apply! .....then a lot of more other stuff, and then it says " We will have an NJ STARS information session taking place december 20th, 2012 2:00 p.m"
Why would she send me the letter if she knew about my position? She took my application in late August and apologized. I thought she would take out of the system or something. Do you think it's just a common error since I was on the list to begin with or do I still have a chance?

On their website it says Students who meet the top 15 percent requirement must first apply for all other federal and state financial aid available to them by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually within New Jersey's deadline. If a student receives financial aid, NJ STARS will cover the remaining cost of tuition. If a student is not eligible for financial aid, NJ STARS will cover the entire cost of tuition.

You can check out more of the details here: http://njstars.net/

-BTW my social security card came today, DMV this week !

Hey! I also go to BCC :D I would definitely go and talk to the lady just to make sure and double check if you are eligible for NJ Stars. You said you get charged in-state tuition? Because for this semester I got a letter saying by accident I was charged as a US Citizen and therefore I paid less...and it says I'm usually charged as a non-immigrant visa student...??? Do you get this??

By any chance did you take AP classes in high school?

Brenda
11-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Does broward college really give daca applicants instate? If so how do you know?

Honestly, I dont know. I'm applying to HCC, does anyone know if they consider DACA to meet the residency requirement? Please help :)

WhotheDoctor
11-15-2012, 01:27 AM
damn it florida!

nikkim
11-15-2012, 02:18 AM
GUYS! Palm beach community gives you in state tuiton! and I'm like 90% sure that Broward does too
http://www.palmbeachstate.edu/admissions/Documents/FloridaResidency-2012r1.pdf

scroll down to page 8 letter H

techrunner
11-15-2012, 09:48 PM
GUYS! Palm beach community gives you in state tuiton! and I'm like 90% sure that Broward does too
http://www.palmbeachstate.edu/admissions/Documents/FloridaResidency-2012r1.pdf

scroll down to page 8 letter H

Awesome, thanks for the link!

The only problem for me is that I'm in Central Fl. However I did see that they offer online classes. It's something worth looking into, especially for the tuition.

nikkim
11-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Awesome, thanks for the link!

The only problem for me is that I'm in Central Fl. However I did see that they offer online classes. It's something worth looking into, especially for the tuition.

They have different campuses! but you should check out VCC up there i assume you're close to orlando

techrunner
11-15-2012, 11:37 PM
They have different campuses! but you should check out VCC up there i assume you're close to orlando

I just checked their tuition requirements, and it looks like they do accept us.
http://valenciacollege.edu/catalog/10-11/pdf/20_AppendixA.pdf
If you scroll down to the second page (Page 325) Number 13.
"You are a foreign national who has deferred status and who has received a Notice of Action or Court Action;and who has met the requirements for Florida residency reclassification found in the “Change of Residence” and “Florida Resident” entries in the Admissions section of this catalog. (USCIS documentation required.)

nikkim
11-16-2012, 01:53 AM
I just checked their tuition requirements, and it looks like they do accept us.
http://valenciacollege.edu/catalog/10-11/pdf/20_AppendixA.pdf
If you scroll down to the second page (Page 325) Number 13.
"You are a foreign national who has deferred status and who has received a Notice of Action or Court Action;and who has met the requirements for Florida residency reclassification found in the “Change of Residence” and “Florida Resident” entries in the Admissions section of this catalog. (USCIS documentation required.)

See good things people yay Florida!!

techrunner
11-16-2012, 07:45 PM
See good things people yay Florida!!

Cheers! :D

FLDreamer
11-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Hello! I am new to this site but I too have been wondering about the in-state tuition deal. Especially in Florida. All other states have been somewhat clear on whether or not they'll be allowing DACA recipients to receive instate tuition. Florida has been frustratingly quite -.- Does anyone know anything about this? Shed some light? It'd be much appreciated :)

nikkim
11-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Hello! I am new to this site but I too have been wondering about the in-state tuition deal. Especially in Florida. All other states have been somewhat clear on whether or not they'll be allowing DACA recipients to receive instate tuition. Florida has been frustratingly quite -.- Does anyone know anything about this? Shed some light? It'd be much appreciated :)

Most schools down here will give it to you as long as you've been living here for at least a year...go to the page before this and read a bit on some fl schools that give us in state tuition

Girl09
11-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Massachusetts now offers in-state tuition to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sooooooo psyched!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/20/us/illegal-immigrants-to-pay-in-state-tuition-at-mass-state-colleges.html

:)

ferchor2
11-20-2012, 01:58 AM
hey guys i just had an idea.. The Gov. Chris Christie is soon to announce if hes running for a re-election for a second term as governor, i think it will be good if we start a petition asking him to allow in-state tuition for NJ dreamers like the Gov. of Massachusetts. This can either hurt him or pressure him to allow it since we are expecting so much from the republicans after Obamas victory?

Any NJ dreamer out there wants to help me get started?

fullonmonet
11-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Tallahassee Community College offers in state tuition to us.
https://www.tcc.fl.edu/Future/Registrar/Documents/Florida%20Residency%20Publication%20(Volume%20II).pdf
Any dreamers heading to Tallahassee :)? It's still unclear if FSU offers us in state tuition.

xTunax
11-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Anyone from Florida have any luck applying to Valencia?

And just to be clear, we have to live here one year after we have been approved for DACA for instate tuition?

turmalina
11-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Just a little info about Maryland's referedum-passed Dream Act in this article. Describes some of the requirements in the bill:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/derionne-p-pollard-phd/maryland-dream-act_b_2192055.html

FTL2012
11-29-2012, 07:40 PM
I really do hope FIU and FAU offers in-state tuition for us!

JayDeeFan84
11-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Well from my understanding you need to have documentation proving Florida residency for tuition purposes.

At MDC (Miami-Dade College) they have a list of documents they accept and you must provide at least two.

They specifically ask for documents like a Florida drivers license, Florida vehicle registration, declaration of domicile, lease agreement, ect. ( They list more documents but I just wanted to give an example)

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS

ALL DOCUMENTS SUPPORTING THE ESTABLISHMENT OF FLORIDA RESIDENCY CLASSIFICATION FOR TUITION PURPOSES MUST BE DATED, ISSUED, OR FILED TWELVE MONTHS [I]BEFORE[I]THE FIRST DAY OF THE TERM IN WHICH FLORIDA RESIDENCY FOR TUITION PURPOSES CLASSIFICATION IS REQUESTED.

So basically you have to wait a year so you can pay in state tuition in Florida. Pretty fucking wack if you ask me.

maxsenger
12-01-2012, 04:50 AM
Ok guys maybe someone will give me advice. When I enrolled in community college I entered a fake social security number because I thought it was the only way for me to attend college in California. Now I have over 50 units completed and would like to know if I should tell them about my legal status change? Or tell them I wrote down the wrong number on the application? Do they even accept the new ssn since its for work authorization only?I didn't receive any grants only the fee waiver .I need advice please!!

esraB
12-03-2012, 11:37 AM
i had read an article where it said NY dreamers could apply for fafsa with DACA. have you guys heard about this?

immarcj
12-04-2012, 12:54 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but Maricopa Community Colleges are charging in-state tuition for those with DACA here in AZ, pretty much includes community colleges in the city of Phoenix, I'll leave a link here in case you go and enroll and they "don't know anything about it", show them this.
http://www.maricopa.edu/residency/dacafaq.php

nydreamer
12-05-2012, 12:42 AM
i had read an article where it said NY dreamers could apply for fafsa with DACA. have you guys heard about this?

Nope, would you care to share this article?

neutrino
12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Amazing! I live in Texas and I thought that everyone got in state tuition! :(

gal92
12-11-2012, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=Leap of Faith;307532]FAU, FIU, and UF provide in-state tuition the recipients of DACA. So does Broward College. I know personally that Broward College, FAU, and UF need you to provide evidence of being legally present in the state for at least a year. (Legal for us is DACA)

UF Residency Guidelines

drdaca
12-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Is there anyone from Colorado that has tried to get in-state tuition at one of the major universities?

I called Colorado State and first she said as long as I had the 12 month period I was fine, then she spoke with someone else who said I couldn't do it because I couldn't establish "legal presence" but I thought that was the one thing we can establish.

I did this over the phone because I don't live in Colorado, so maybe someone that went in person had better luck.

livefree
12-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Hey guys! So some more info on Miami - Dade College. Today I went to two of their campuses trying to find some answers. After practically talking to every department -which took me from Admissions, to New Students to International Students and then financial aid. They all pretty much told me the same thing: "You're parents are not residents, and since you are a dependent student you don't qualify for in state tuition. Even if you have DACA. "
Almost at the end of my visits, one of the financial aid ladies told me (in a whisper) that if I would get a letter from my boss stating that I have been working there for a year, my high school diploma( or proof that I graduated on June 2012), and something she attempted to explain to me about taxes for an $11,000 yearly wage, which I wasn't too clear on, before January 8- I could possibly start the semester paying in-state tuition.
I'm not entirely convinced, I have so many questions and feel like no one is capable of answering them.
And is this
http://diverseeducation.com/article/49221/
just a buch of BS?
Adding to that, that same lady said I could qualify for the American Dream Scholarship which covers the full in-state tuition which is 1300 less the 5300 semesterly bill.
Butttttt.... if you claim to be out-of state you won't be able to change that status for some years, it's what she continued telling me.
I don't feel that was the end of this. I mean it just really amazes me that a community college claiming to be so culturally diverse and proud of their support towards illegal immigrants would make it so difficult to find any financial support. Everytime I asked about any special programs/scholarships anything to help all I got were shrugged shouldes and headshakes.
Hopefully this will somehow help someone. or Maybe someone could help me?
My second plan is talking to FIU. I definitely want to advance my education, and don't entirely see why I can't do it in a cheaper way, especially when I've been qualifying for so many different aids since HS.
I'm going to keep on attempting to communicate with them and keep you updated!

mayito
12-15-2012, 05:22 AM
Anyone on Riverside or Orange county that got financial aid with DACA?

Mercedes-A
12-17-2012, 05:24 PM
I think Massachusetts should be added to the list.

Here's the link ..
http://www.masslive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/11/state_house_news_service_massa.html

AdreamernamedNatasha
12-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Hey guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was just granted instate tuition in virginia (richmond) and I am so happy i filled out this huge form with my dad they asked for tax papers and stuff and we had all the proof just like DACA that i am a virginia resident and instead of $12,00 we pay $5,00 God is soooo good im so thankful!

mac35352
12-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Hey guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was just granted instate tuition in virginia (richmond) and I am so happy i filled out this huge form with my dad they asked for tax papers and stuff and we had all the proof just like DACA that i am a virginia resident and instead of $12,00 we pay $5,00 God is soooo good im so thankful!

Wow, congrats :)
I am in Virginia as well. I am in the process of applying to law school. I went to a private uni here in Virginia and just graduated. I was granted merit scholarships for undergrad but I don't think I'll be as lucky in law school. I applied to 2 public schools in Virginia but marked that I did not consider myself a VA resident for in-state tuition purposes because my understanding was that I had to be a citizen or green card holder. I thought DACA didn't qualify us. If you got approved I assume I must be mistaken. Can you explain the process to me a bit more? What process did you feel out? thanks and CONGRATULATIONS.

virginiadreamer
12-24-2012, 03:32 AM

congrats natasha! i'm really happy for you! currently i'm attending nvcc in woodbridge campus.
which school do you attend? and what was the process you have to go through to get an in-state tuition?
and also do you think if i applied to colleges like VCU or JMU to transfer, i'll be granted in-state?

AdreamernamedNatasha
12-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Wow, congrats :)
I am in Virginia as well. I am in the process of applying to law school. I went to a private uni here in Virginia and just graduated. I was granted merit scholarships for undergrad but I don't think I'll be as lucky in law school. I applied to 2 public schools in Virginia but marked that I did not consider myself a VA resident for in-state tuition purposes because my understanding was that I had to be a citizen or green card holder. I thought DACA didn't qualify us. If you got approved I assume I must be mistaken. Can you explain the process to me a bit more? What process did you feel out? thanks and CONGRATULATIONS.

Wow that's awesome congratulations to you on so many achievements! this is my second year in college so far. And you are correct, i was classified as out of state at my public school VCU the first semester because I marked what was true, that i am not a us citizen but I got my DACA acceptance and SS number and permit so I said hey I'll just try out the change of domicile form (16 pages) and tell the truth on the form along with a letter detailing my life as an illegal and the financial burden paying out of state is and hope they have a heart...and they did! After 4 days they told me based on my Clear and Convincing evidence I showed that I am a resident of Virginia I am approved for instate which at vcu they call it Virginia residence tuition. VA is getting a lot more slack on us it was even on the news they want to grant all of us in state tuition if we lived here for 3 years! So in your situation in law school dont give up and be pessimistic there has to be a form like the change of domicile hidden online I had to search in the records and registration for mine and you can do it. Its best if you are accepted for DACA though because that ss and license really proves you are not a full blown illegal anymore. hoped i helped!

congrats natasha! i'm really happy for you! currently i'm attending nvcc in woodbridge campus.
which school do you attend? and what was the process you have to go through to get an in-state tuition?
and also do you think if i applied to colleges like VCU or JMU to transfer, i'll be granted in-state?

I attend VCU this is my second year i transferred from a private school. And same as noted above, there was a huge form called eligibility for in state privileges/ change of domicile and i found it online because vcu states they follow the code of virginia which says it is up to the college whether you are eligible for instate based on your evidence proving residency you dont have to be a citizen. I def think you will get accepted for instate esp if you have the daca approval. In addition to the letter I sent a page of copies with my ss number, driving permit, work permit, and student ID and the deed to my parents house and tax forms (you dont have to) and it was fine. VA isnt as strict like i thought and it was def a step of faith in applying, but the worse they can say is no and i doubt they will.

carlo_flash
12-31-2012, 01:36 PM
So I am registered at a community college for spring, how can I get fee waiver for my classes? What forms do I need to fill out to get it waived? Our semester don't start til feb. Do I have time?

pinto
01-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Hello DACA partners, I need to know if someone has applied to Georgia Colleges or Universities, because I am trying to find info and if there any scholarship available for us here in Georgia?

Thank You

turmalina
01-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Hello everyone.

Was browsing through the Montgomery College website job hunting and I found that they have a special page giving info about the Maryland Dream Act that came into effect Dec. 6, 2012.

Hope this helps Maryland dreamers!

Montgomery College - Maryland Dream Act Page (http://cms.montgomerycollege.edu/edu/department.aspx?id=47731)

tusol17
01-08-2013, 01:51 AM

VirginiaDreamer! im also in virginia and planning to attend nvcc.. do you pay instate currently ?and Can we get any financial help?

AdreamernamedNatasha
01-08-2013, 11:21 PM
VirginiaDreamer! im also in virginia and planning to attend nvcc.. do you pay instate currently ?and Can we get any financial help?

yes i pay instate now after being approved you can talk to the school in person but when it comes to financial aid i do not think we are able to get that

NeverLookBack
01-10-2013, 07:28 PM
I've got a quick question!
I'm planning on applying to FAU which is in Boca Raton, Florida. They said they accept Deferred Action applicants for in-state tuition.
The problem I'm facing right now is the fact that they have couple requirements that I'm not able to provide cause. technically, I just got an 'Identity" and never had tax reports or bills on my name (no social). They require to have 12 consecutive months of bills on my name.
So I was wondering if anyone else face the same situation as I do and what are they planning on doing.