PDA

View Full Version : [b]DOCUMENTARY FILM ON THE DREAM ACT[/b]

tsubeta04
09-26-2006, 11:47 AM
I JUST WANTED TO INTRODUCE MYSELF TO THE FOLKS ON THIS SIGHT AND TO LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT THE FILM I'VE BEEN WORKING ON IN CONJUCTION WITH ANOTHER STUDENT FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON. THE DOCUEMENTARY FILM WILL FOCUS ON THE DREAM ACT AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, THE STUDENTS AFFECTED BY IT.

BOTH OF US WORKING ON THE FILM ARE DREAM ACT STUDENTS. ANYWAYS, HERE ARE THE LINKS TO THE CLIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RLlmY2My_I

OR

http://www.myspace.com/givememydream

HELP US SPREAD THE WORD AND TELL US WHAT YOU THINK!!!!

WE ALSO HAVE BEEN WORKING ON ANOTHER FILM THAT FOCUSES ON THE LANDMARK LEGISLATION HOUSE BILL 1403 THAT PASSED IN 2001 HERE IN TEXAS.

THIS IS THE LINK TO THAT ONE:

MYSPACE.COM/HB1403

Abaddon
09-26-2006, 04:58 PM
It's a good idea but... well...

"Give me my dream."

I do not like the idea of "demanding something" which technically would not otherwise belong to us. One cannot say, "I was discriminated against because I do not have papers." When we examine the general implications of that, those who have proper documentation should be allowed to apply to jobs/other things because they are able to do so. Of course, under our case, we wouldn't be allowed to do it because there is something wrong with the way the system works.

So when it comes to these issues, I prefer the idea of "If you please, hear my story, and I ask to be understood." I vehemently disagree with the girl on the video clip that she was "discriminated" because of her lack of paperwork. It isn't the same thing to be discriminated because of one's ethnic origin to descrimination because one lacks paperwork.

Just my thoughts on it.

Also, as Cicero said, when it comes to convincing people, you should refrain from talking about your accomplishments too much because invidia, or envy is the most easily aroused emotion in mankind. Instead, what you want to carry out is that we have accomplished x, y, and z with great obstacles. not for our own sake, but for the sake of others, i.e. the nation we love and respect.

rock steady
09-26-2006, 06:39 PM
I agree with Abaddon. While the idea is very-well intentioned, and I certainly appreciate the work you all have put in, it would benefit from a few minor changes. Certainly, changing language would be a start. The best example of this is the backlash the community faced after the protests. People were angered by the fact that the demonstrations had such strong language. We certainly wouldn't want that for DREAM, which has the best chance of any provision of passing.

tsubeta04
09-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the constructive criticism but just to clarify, the name of the film is "I too have dreams"

rock steady
09-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Noted, but I think Abaddon is talking about the name of the myspace site. At any rate, best of luck on the film and let us know how we can help.