PDA

View Full Version : If You know anything about College for illegals, plz help me

redradish928
10-01-2006, 08:07 PM
im a high school student in Kentucky. im a senior this year, and im having a major problem with the applications for colleges. i know that states like california, new york, illinois, utah, washington and texas accept illegal immigrants or undocumented students. but what im dont know is that even illegal from out of the state can be accepted. at this moment i could care less about if im going to get financial support, i just need to get accepted.

if any of you guys who are illegals and lived in out of those states and got accepted to the colleges, give an advise. thank you.

juang
10-01-2006, 09:29 PM
if you dont have a high school diploma of one of those states that do give instate tuition you wont get instate tuition

here is a little something that will help you

http://dreamact.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389

redradish928
10-02-2006, 07:27 AM
o yea...i know that they wont give me instate tuition but do you know any colleges that accept illegal immigrants? cuz my sister applied to some community college expecting that they will accpet but they asked her to bring her visa documents. so she sent them her passport and visa but they said they cant accept her because of her status.

i just need to know what colleges accept illegal immigrants.

Abaddon
10-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Are you willing to pay HUGE out of state tuition? Look somewhere else... i.e. private scholarships. Private colleges are willing to work with you, especially if you are a very talented student.

redradish928
10-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Hey guys..i just received a mail from Associate Director of Admission of University of Kentucky. and here is what she said...

Dear Charles,

I am pleased to hear about your interest in the University of Kentucky. You may apply for undergraduate admission as an illegal immigrant. This status will not in any way hurt your chances of being accepted to the University as an undergraduate student. You should expect to hear from others here at UK in regards to your financial aid or scholarship possibilities. Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional undergraduate admission questions at any time.

Sincerely,

Michelle Garth

Associate Director of Admission

I know there are so many students who just cant go to college or not knowing that they could go to college because they assume that illegals cant go to college. I just want to say "Dont BE Afraid to ASk" email or call the directors of schools that you want to go to. Because my sister made that same mistake and i dont want anyone to make that stupid mistake.

Abaddon
10-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Try Beloit College in Illinois. I got a deal where I would pay 1/2 because my grades were above everyone else's. But I chose to attend somwhere else.

redradish928
10-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Abaddon, what school are you attending now? and are you illegal immigrant??

jcarrea9936
11-11-2006, 12:13 AM
I live in Chicago, I am attending Wrige College (city college) the tuition is cheap and dont their requirements bad. I paid $1,500.00 including text books for one semester.

I plant to transfer to UIC, after i get my associates from Wright. Chicago has a very good public transportion that consists both of trains and buses, and if you need to go to the suburbs there is Metra. I think you should come to Chicago, cheapen than New York.

Abaddon
11-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Welcome JCarrera.

I am a fellow Chicagoan myself. We will be starting a campaign soon--have you gotten in contact with Richard Durbin regarding the DREAM Act? Just wondering.

AL
11-12-2006, 07:38 PM
I've heard about undocumented students able to apply for a college loan in Texas, so if anyone knows anything abou this, I really need your feedback. Thanks.

thedream
12-15-2006, 09:04 PM
how about florida? anyone have an idea about how to get into college over here?

brenda04
12-16-2006, 02:50 PM
I know all the CUNY schools in New York accept illegals instate or out.Like others said you just wont pay instate tuition.But CUNY schools are not that expensive compare to private colleges.For instate tution it cost about 4,000 a year and probably around 8,000 for out of state,but probably less than that.Not all Cuny schools have dorms so make sure the one you choose does or you can always rent out a room in someones apartment.

HOPEFULDREAMER
01-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm also from Florida....two quick questions though: Do you have any type of legal paperwork from INS? Like an I-485, even if it was denied? If so, then any school will accept you in-state. If not, try to talk to the highest administrator in the admissions office; if you have FINANCIAL PROOF of your Florida residency (i.e., IRS tax forms even if on a TIN) they'll decide whether to give you in-state or out-of-state tuition. It also helps if you have really good grades.

Also, have you applied for Bright Futures? I know you may think you cannot use it because that's what I thought too. HOWEVER, Bright Futures doesn't have a residency or citizenship requirement. Apply even though you don't have residency right now; they don't even ask for a social(Well, they do but they won't penalize you for not having one, you will still be considered for the scholarship as long as you can receive in-state tuition and, if you find someone that is sympathetic in the college offices like my brother found, you will be able to receive that assistance). And anyway, Bright Futures gives you two years to defer your aid. Meaning, if DREAM becomes a reality next year, you will be eligible for in-state tuition, therefore eligible for BF disbursement. You'll be sorry if you don't apply.

Hope this helps!!!! :D

Gocchin Sama
01-01-2007, 09:17 PM
I know all the CUNY schools in New York accept illegals instate or out.Like others said you just wont pay instate tuition.But CUNY schools are not that expensive compare to private colleges.For instate tution it cost about 4,000 a year and probably around 8,000 for out of state,but probably less than that.Not all Cuny schools have dorms so make sure the one you choose does or you can always rent out a room in someones apartment.

CUNY accepts illegals as instate. Out-of-state/International students pay according to the amount of credits which is $360/cr ever since the tuition hike 3 years back. There is no max tuition cap. Which means if you take 18cr, you would be paying $12,960 a year of bare-bone tuition. That was one of the factors why I dumped my F1 status prior to my senior year.

thedream
01-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm also from Florida....two quick questions though: Do you have any type of legal paperwork from INS? Like an I-485, even if it was denied? If so, then any school will accept you in-state. If not, try to talk to the highest administrator in the admissions office; if you have FINANCIAL PROOF of your Florida residency (i.e., IRS tax forms even if on a TIN) they'll decide whether to give you in-state or out-of-state tuition. It also helps if you have really good grades.

Also, have you applied for Bright Futures? I know you may think you cannot use it because that's what I thought too. HOWEVER, Bright Futures doesn't have a residency or citizenship requirement. Apply even though you don't have residency right now; they don't even ask for a social(Well, they do but they won't penalize you for not having one, you will still be considered for the scholarship as long as you can receive in-state tuition and, if you find someone that is sympathetic in the college offices like my brother found, you will be able to receive that assistance). And anyway, Bright Futures gives you two years to defer your aid. Meaning, if DREAM becomes a reality next year, you will be eligible for in-state tuition, therefore eligible for BF disbursement. You'll be sorry if you don't apply.

Hope this helps!!!! :D

ok... so... first of all, i don't have an I-485 or anything like that.. i came on tourist visa and it expired
another question, If i have a guardian who can claim me in the tax returns, does that constitute financial proof of florida residency? what if i'm not declared in tax returns(because i'm not right now lol ), but it can be shown that the legal guardian pays taxes (legally), does that work?

and last question, what university do you/your brother attend that allows you to pay in state/get bright futures? that is, if you don't mind saying.

thanks a lot

HOPEFULDREAMER
01-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Well, I know that I was asked to supply tax forms (I was listed as a dependent) and for a bank letter stating that my dad had had an account with Bank of America for more than 12 months at his current address in FL. I don't know if they'll let you show that for in-state tuition though because on top of all that they asked for ENDLESS copies of my I-485 and my dad's work permit (long story as to why we're all still undocumented....we've been here 17 years and my dad STILL has just a work permit instead of PR...)....however, before we had the I-485, all they asked for with my brothers was their social security number (even if its ineligible for working purposes, like ours is) and tax forms and all that other good stuff.

Do you have a SS number (even if not for work purposes)? That's usually a good starting point to establish residency in FL. We also overstayed our tourist visa; my dad tried to fake his way through the '86 amnesty with the LULAC extension in the '90s; seeing as how he still only has a work permit you can see it didn't really go too well.

Other than that, all I can tell you is APPLY FOR BRIGHT FUTURES. I can't stress this enough. I've been repeating the same thing to this girl at COSA. If you are eligible (grades-wise) I really want you to take part in this. Just register as a non-citizen (there are three categories: citizen, non-citizen, and eligible non-citizen....just register as non-citzen. The app will still go through).

Take care bro! May 2007 be our year!!

HOPEFULDREAMER
01-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Oh and by the way, my brothers attended Broward Community College and Florida International University. I should add however that we did obtain a work permit for about a year in 2003-2004 so that was the reason my middle brother obtained in-state tuition (he had been having some issues with in-state tuition because he didn't have a social security number, which I stated before is pretty big in getting in-state tuition) at FIU. However, my oldest brother received in-state throughout with just his social security number and my dad's taxes.

I really hope this helps!! =)

thedream
01-07-2007, 12:00 PM
well..i tried applying for bright futures but you have to apply for FASFA.. which asks for social and all that kind of crap (i don't have social)...
did your brother get bright futures before 2002? that might be able to explain why he was able to get it

thanks for all the info btw...really appreciate it

HOPEFULDREAMER
01-07-2007, 03:59 PM
You don't have to apply for Bright Futures through FAFSA....I didn't and I still received aid...Here's what I did:

Go to www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org
Under "New Visitors" go to initial student
Click on proceed to application
And then go on from there.

You don't NECESSARILY need a SS....its just easier for them to ID you. I just applied for it last year, so I doubt the rules changed. I'm actually on the site right now as we speak and everything is the same. Hopefully you can get the aid as well....its really helpful!!

Good luck!! And no problem, we're in this together, the least I can do is spread the info.

ohohno
01-07-2007, 05:03 PM
this bright future can i apply if i am i IL??
and i am a senior is this a problem?

HOPEFULDREAMER
01-07-2007, 10:04 PM
What's IL?

roffo
01-07-2007, 10:10 PM
illinois

HOPEFULDREAMER
01-07-2007, 10:20 PM
oh I thought it was some abbreviation for a legal status in immigration or something. No, sadly, Bright Futures is one of those state-funded merit scholarships given to students who graduated from a FL high school. It's actually funded by the state lottery so that's one of the reasons why there exists that giant loophole for undocumented students.

thedream
01-08-2007, 06:46 AM
ok so question 16 is the tough one.. it asks if florida is my state of legal residence and if i'm a citizen/non citizen/eligible non-citizen.

it also says in a link that:
An applicant must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, or an eligible non-citizen to be eligible to establish Florida residency for the purpose of state student financial aid.
i'm neither of those... :cry:

HOPEFULDREAMER
01-08-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm neither of those as well. That's what originally discouraged me from applying. Just click that you are a non citizen. The application process will go on as normal. If you cannot accept aid for Fall 2007, you can call the people at the state up and tell them to defer it until DREAM comes out and they will. Just fill out the app, there's nothing to lose. I talked to countless lawyers and counselors and the people in charge of BF. Just continue the app stating that you are a non-citizen. You're not lying because you are stating (and at the end affirming) that you are not legal yet. BF is only for students that qualify for in-state. It doesn't have anything to do with being legal or no. If it did, I wouldn't have been able to receive aid and I have.

jellybeans
01-12-2007, 12:41 AM
I also wanted to do Bright Futures coming out of high school, but when I was doing the FAFSA, they asked for the status or whatever. Anyway, I didn't end up applying for it. I'm not aware of any colleges in South Florida that do not accept illegal immigrants... none that I know of anyway. My brother goes to BCC and they accepted him, but he has to pay out of state tuition. And as for me, I go to Nova which is a private institution and they pretty much accept anyone, as long as you can afford it. Regardless of your grades, even.

HOPEFULDREAMER
01-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I know. A lot of people who deserved it have been discouraged because they thought they had to do the FAFSA, which is a big misconception. I almost didn't apply for BF until the week before graduation (its only available till June of the year you graduated) but I'm glad I did.

dlrnjs2
02-08-2007, 04:03 AM
HEY. I GOT INTO 2yr COLLEGE even Im not in those states.

I went directly to college and applied for classes.

Some people asked me if I have a social.

I said no.

They asked me if I have VISA.

I said no.

They asked if I lived here fore more than 3yrs and graduated,

I said yes.

Then I got into college.

Don't get afraid.

Be wise.

99% of time people at college admission won't call cops

because you are illegal.

They are nice.

However, you have to wise to choose time to meet admmistion people

because when it's too crowded, people around can hear you.

So. Don't de afraid, and be honest.

However, be wise. Don't tell about your situation to nobody

unless you know it is okay.

College people are nice. They are liberals also.

They won't cause you problems. Trust me.

Abaddon
02-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Ummm it's not that easy. They search to make sure you are a high school graduate of the state. Please refrain from providing information that cannot be verified for the internet is a place where all kinds of people arise from.

fldude13
04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Bumping this cause i'm applying for BF right now and since I'm not going to school next year i don't know what to put when it asks what institution i'm planning to attend. I'm putting down UF since that's where i plan on going when in a year, but if i don't end up going there will they give me problems for that?

EDIT: WOOHOO! I submitted my application, felt really good, lol

HOPEFULDREAMER
04-15-2007, 09:10 PM
YAY!!! I'm going to UF too [assuming DREAM passes so I can qualify for in-state] =). But I'm really happy for you with the Bright Futures thing!! I know exactly how you feel =)

fldude13
04-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Now I'm wondering about the thing that says you have to be a legal resident for a year to qualify for in-state tuition. anybody know if Dream takes care of that?

fldude13
04-15-2007, 09:32 PM
YAY!!! I'm going to UF too [assuming DREAM passes so I can qualify for in-state] =). But I'm really happy for you with the Bright Futures thing!! I know exactly how you feel =)

Yeah I really want to go out of state (Notre Dame, go Irish!) but i've finally come to the realization that's not going to be financially possible even if i'm legal. I figure UF has an awesome sports program right now, so that's where i'm going. Maybe i'll see you there :)

HOPEFULDREAMER
04-15-2007, 09:44 PM
According to the admissions lady. it does. All you have to do is show proof of income taxes or bank accounts in FL and you're set.

UF is the best public school in FL [source: US News and Reports and the Princeton Review] and has kickass relationships with big companies such as Lockheed-Martin, AmEx, Walt Disney, Citigroup and others. Wise decision ;) lol. [End UF plug here]

But yeah, it would be awesome to meet at least one person from the forum face-to-face. A big "We made it!" hug would be in order =). As well as a cyberhug to the entire forum. =)

fldude13
04-15-2007, 09:56 PM
According to the admissions lady. it does. All you have to do is show proof of income taxes or bank accounts in FL and you're set.

UF is the best public school in FL [source: US News and Reports and the Princeton Review] and has kickass relationships with big companies such as Lockheed-Martin, AmEx, Walt Disney, Citigroup and others. Wise decision ;) lol. [End UF plug here]

But yeah, it would be awesome to meet at least one person from the forum face-to-face. A big "We made it!" hug would be in order =). As well as a cyberhug to the entire forum. =)

Yeah, i know, i know. UF is great, even got a few legal cousins going there. But being an irish fan i really wanted to go to ND :(

fldude13
04-16-2007, 05:32 PM
So ummm.... what happens now? how long will i have to wait for an answer?

HOPEFULDREAMER
04-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Answer to what?

fldude13
04-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Answer to what?

to my application

HOPEFULDREAMER
04-16-2007, 11:50 PM
http://www.firn.edu/doe/brfutures/elignotify.htm

How and When is a Student Notified of His/Her Eligibility?

Early Evaluations (7th Semester)

All students whose transcripts are submitted for an official early evaluation (based on academic progress in the middle of the last year of high school) will receive either an award or an ineligibility letter from the Florida Department of Education.

End-of-Year Evaluations (8th Semester)

If a student's transcript is submitted for an official evaluation after his/her last term in high school, the student will receive an award (or ineligibility letter) in August only if he/she did not receive an early evaluation or if the student's award status has improved since the early evaluation.

The Process

The award (or ineligibility letter) will be mailed to the address listed on a student's Florida Financial Aid Application within three weeks of the date his/her transcript is officially evaluated by the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program.

Included with an award letter will be:

* information about the award;
* instructions regarding how to notify the Florida Department of Education of the college the student plans to attend and how to correct any information Bright Futures has on file; and
* a User ID and Personal Identification Number (PIN) with instructions explaining how the student can access his/her Bright Futures record on the Internet.

A User ID and PIN will enable a student to:

o view his/her award;
o view his/her demographic information;
o view his/her postsecondary institution choice;
o view the amount disbursed each semester;
o view the spring renewal GPA;
o monitor his/her hours remaining for the year and for the scholarship; and
o view a list of correspondence mailed to him/her by the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program.

Included with an ineligibility letter will be:

* a User ID and Personal Identification Number (PIN) with instructions explaining how a student can monitor his/her eligibility status in the event the GPA or test scores improve prior to the end of June.

FACTS.org

The website www.FACTS.org allows public high school students to review their academic progress toward meeting initial eligibility requirements for the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program and course requirements for admission into the State University System. Public high school students in grades 9-12 may access their records by creating their own login ID and password.

College Notification

Notification of a student's award will be made available to all eligible postsecondary institutions via an Internet Directory of Eligible Students when a student's award status is official.

azdreamer
04-29-2007, 01:45 AM
I live in Arizona and go to community college here and they definetly allow illegal immigrants here and offer them in-state tuition. You should really consider it here. I'm on a presidential scholarship right now that I thought would be impossible for me to get due to my legal status here.

na
05-18-2007, 03:09 AM
Im also from florida and i tried appliying for alot of those schools especially the community ones(in different cities) and they kept asking me for documents i didnt have nor my parents. They finally(after giving me the run about and returning my application asking for this and that) told me flat out that i wouldnt be able to attend, and could only attend under forign student if i had a student visa or some kind of letter from INS saying that my parents filled out for PR with me(i had already gotton denyed numerouse times). And i wouldnt be able to afford the cost regardless cause its like tripple the amount of in state tuition........so i guess i was unlucky...........

fldude13
05-18-2007, 03:20 PM
http://www.firn.edu/doe/brfutures/elignotify.htm

How and When is a Student Notified of His/Her Eligibility?

Early Evaluations (7th Semester)

All students whose transcripts are submitted for an official early evaluation (based on academic progress in the middle of the last year of high school) will receive either an award or an ineligibility letter from the Florida Department of Education.

End-of-Year Evaluations (8th Semester)

If a student's transcript is submitted for an official evaluation after his/her last term in high school, the student will receive an award (or ineligibility letter) in August only if he/she did not receive an early evaluation or if the student's award status has improved since the early evaluation.

The Process

The award (or ineligibility letter) will be mailed to the address listed on a student's Florida Financial Aid Application within three weeks of the date his/her transcript is officially evaluated by the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program.

Included with an award letter will be:

* information about the award;
* instructions regarding how to notify the Florida Department of Education of the college the student plans to attend and how to correct any information Bright Futures has on file; and
* a User ID and Personal Identification Number (PIN) with instructions explaining how the student can access his/her Bright Futures record on the Internet.

A User ID and PIN will enable a student to:

o view his/her award;
o view his/her demographic information;
o view his/her postsecondary institution choice;
o view the amount disbursed each semester;
o view the spring renewal GPA;
o monitor his/her hours remaining for the year and for the scholarship; and
o view a list of correspondence mailed to him/her by the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program.

Included with an ineligibility letter will be:

* a User ID and Personal Identification Number (PIN) with instructions explaining how a student can monitor his/her eligibility status in the event the GPA or test scores improve prior to the end of June.

FACTS.org

The website www.FACTS.org allows public high school students to review their academic progress toward meeting initial eligibility requirements for the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program and course requirements for admission into the State University System. Public high school students in grades 9-12 may access their records by creating their own login ID and password.

College Notification

Notification of a student's award will be made available to all eligible postsecondary institutions via an Internet Directory of Eligible Students when a student's award status is official.

Got my letter yesterday! now, do you happen to know what am i supposed to do if i want to defer the award for a year?

HOPEFULDREAMER
05-18-2007, 07:50 PM
I think you just call them up and say that you want to defer it because of whatever reason you have. Just be really "to the point" with it because I don't know if they will ask you any extraneous questions [SSN, etc.]. The people there are pretty nice; I doubt they'd make a big deal about it.

HOPEFULDREAMER
05-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Im also from florida and i tried appliying for alot of those schools especially the community ones(in different cities) and they kept asking me for documents i didnt have nor my parents. They finally(after giving me the run about and returning my application asking for this and that) told me flat out that i wouldnt be able to attend, and could only attend under forign student if i had a student visa or some kind of letter from INS saying that my parents filled out for PR with me(i had already gotton denyed numerouse times). And i wouldnt be able to afford the cost regardless cause its like tripple the amount of in state tuition........so i guess i was unlucky...........

BCC and MDC will definitely allow you to apply as an undocumented student. I have cousins that have gone that route and attend, albeit paying out-of-state tuition. However, if in one semester your grades are good [as in like straight A's lol] you may get an application to attend the Honors Institute which gives you tons of scholarships and such [my cousin got practically all of her tuition paid for by the Honors Institute at MDC].

Good luck!

xxsary27xx
03-25-2008, 03:15 AM
i applied for cuny hunter and got accepted...they said that i received a scholarship for full tuition and an extra 1500, but i have to file the FAFSA. Im going later to their financial aid office and hopefully theyll help me out because i cant file the FAFSA since im an immigrant...I really want that scholarship

quaker
03-25-2008, 11:28 AM
i applied for cuny hunter and got accepted...they said that i received a scholarship for full tuition and an extra 1500, but i have to file the FAFSA. Im going later to their financial aid office and hopefully theyll help me out because i cant file the FAFSA since im an immigrant...I really want that scholarship

I think you can still file the FAFSA but you'll just have to mark the non-citizen box which will then disqualify you from everything.

parakaleo
03-26-2008, 07:42 AM
I live in South Fl more specifically Palm Beach County. I've tried to apply to some of the colleges here and have run into the same problems..they ask for status. I saw someone mentioned Nova, BCC and MDC? These are in Miami right ? I would love to be able to find some schools closer to where I live but I'd be willing to drive down to Miami..anything for a chance to go to school.

Elmexicano
03-26-2008, 11:22 AM
I thought Florida was illegal friendly?

I am glad i live in Cali the most illegal friendly state in the country.

jazz123
03-26-2008, 04:12 PM
dude i would recommend you to go to a nearby community college spend 2 years and transfer to university and hope dream act passes.. cause community college will charge u in-state and u will save bunch of money which u can use later if dream act does not pass.... so rather than going out of state for your freshmen year go to a in-state community college.. think about it

parakaleo
03-26-2008, 05:31 PM
I thought Florida was illegal friendly?

I am glad i live in Cali the most illegal friendly state in the country.

Well I've heard that Fl..at least Central Fl isn't that friendly towards illegals. I looked into a bunch of schools there and nothing. From what I can tell..the best places are mostly the southern most counties of Fl. My cousin lives in Cali, I actually considered moving there but out-of-state is killer.

HOPEFULDREAMER
03-26-2008, 07:23 PM
^If you don't have an sort of immigration receipts or pending application, even the schools in South Fl. will not accept you as an in-state student. They will definitely accept you as an out-of-state student but that's about $250 a credit.

I know private schools are easier on status. I just got into a FL private school and I'm expecting a financial aid package any day now :). Just be prepared to show really, really, really good grades (if you're a transfer student).

parakaleo
03-26-2008, 11:25 PM
I found a BCC location that's not too far from me..only 1/2 an hr..I saw that it asked to fill out a resident questionaire so I sent an email asking about my situation. Thankfully I do have something pending, although not certain if I'm going to be accepted or not..Thanks for the help. This has given me a glimmer of hope.

Ayame
04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Well I've heard that Fl..at least Central Fl isn't that friendly towards illegals. I looked into a bunch of schools there and nothing. From what I can tell..the best places are mostly the southern most counties of Fl. My cousin lives in Cali, I actually considered moving there but out-of-state is killer.

partially true. I live in Central FL, around the orlando area.I only have a handful of school choices (distance wise) and out of all of them only 1 comm college accepted me as an undocumented studnt, but charges me way too much. Public transportation isnt very good either, and everythiing is too far away.

maurolv
08-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Miami Dade College will accept you, even if you're illegal. But, like HOPEFULDREAMER said, you'll be paying about $950/class (which is what I'll pay.)

If you're looking for an "illegal friendly" state...go to Nevada. They gave me a $10,000 scholarship and they don't ask for papers at the Community College. Sucks we had to move to Florida. :cry:

thedream
08-13-2008, 01:42 PM
jeez, how do you guys get so much financial aid?
i go to a CC in central florida.
4.0 GPA and in the honors college. and I still have trouble paying for classes. this fall will be my first semester being a full time student. and I'm having to pay something like 3200 dollars for 12 credits (about half of that is coming out of my pocket)

hopeful, you mind saying what private institution you've applied to and is willing to give you financial aid? you can PM me if you prefer.

HOPEFULDREAMER
08-13-2008, 04:07 PM
^You know, it honestly isn't even worth mentioning what university I'm attending lol. I got such little financial aid ($8,000 out of $35,000) that I wouldn't even consider going to this university if it really wasn't my last shot at continuing my college education.

South FL schools just got really bad for DREAMies; before, if you had certain paperwork from USCIS some schools were able to give you in-state tuition. Now, NO CC or university will even bother with your immigration forms. If you don't have an EAD or GC/citizenship, you're pretty much done.

You know what's sad? Two years at a private university (after leaving CC with a 3.94 GPA, multiple extracurriculars, one of which included being President of a political group and VP of the dance squad, amazing recommendations from the Dean of Students and the Dept. Head of the Arts & Sciences division, AND graduating with highest honors along with a medal from our PTK advisor) is going to leave me with a whopping $56,000 student loan. I also continue to get e-mails and voicemails from the school's financial aid officer telling me to "Please submit immigration documents for more scholarships and grants that have been reserved for you". I can only wonder how much more financial aid I could've received had I not been in this shitty situation.

free2be
08-13-2008, 07:31 PM
^You know, it honestly isn't even worth mentioning what university I'm attending lol. I got such little financial aid ($8,000 out of $35,000) that I wouldn't even consider going to this university if it really wasn't my last shot at continuing my college education.

South FL schools just got really bad for DREAMies; before, if you had certain paperwork from USCIS some schools were able to give you in-state tuition. Now, NO CC or university will even bother with your immigration forms. If you don't have an EAD or GC/citizenship, you're pretty much done.

You know what's sad? Two years at a private university (after leaving CC with a 3.94 GPA, multiple extracurriculars, one of which included being President of a political group and VP of the dance squad, amazing recommendations from the Dean of Students and the Dept. Head of the Arts & Sciences division, AND graduating with highest honors along with a medal from our PTK advisor) is going to leave me with a whopping $56,000 student loan. I also continue to get e-mails and voicemails from the school's financial aid officer telling me to "Please submit immigration documents for more scholarships and grants that have been reserved for you". I can only wonder how much more financial aid I could've received had I not been in this shitty situation.

I'm going to try as hard as I can not to turn this into a rant lol. But Hopeful's (Hi!:-P) description above always makes me wonder why citizens complain about their kids not being able to get into or succeed in college. It's a bit depressing to constantly have to turn down offers or ignore offers that you obviously qualify for or have been told you'd be the best candidate for simply b/c of your immigration status, or lack thereof.

Citizens and legal residents aiming to go to college have SO many resources available to them it's ridiculous. If you tell me your kid wasn't able to get into college or got placed on a waiting list or couldn't find absolutely any scholarships, and there are no extraneous circumstances affecting your kid's ability, then I see that as laziness or unwillingness on your child's part to work hard enough.

It frustrates me to no avail to see kids just wasting the resources they have available to them, and for their parents to turn around and claim we'd be "Taking away college seats from deserving citizens and legal residents." Um, sorry, but if your child is really that deserving, they'd get into college, regardless of whether a Dream-beneficiary happens to also get into that school or not. If Dream passes, none of us will be responsible if your kid doesn't get into college, so get mad at them instead of being irresponsible and blaming their failures on us.

maurolv
08-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Do not come to South Florida!...

The scholarship I have is there...but I can't use it in any other state more than Nevada.

And here in South Florida, like I said, you will get accepted...but be ready to pay an insane amount of money. :x

(What really gets my mad is that I have friends that don't even speak English, have a "2.something" gpa...and will be paying almost nothing for 4 classes)

HOPEFULDREAMER
08-13-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm going to try as hard as I can not to turn this into a rant lol. But Hopeful's (Hi!:-P) description above always makes me wonder why citizens complain about their kids not being able to get into or succeed in college. It's a bit depressing to constantly have to turn down offers or ignore offers that you obviously qualify for or have been told you'd be the best candidate for simply b/c of your immigration status, or lack thereof.

Citizens and legal residents aiming to go to college have SO many resources available to them it's ridiculous. If you tell me your kid wasn't able to get into college or got placed on a waiting list or couldn't find absolutely any scholarships, and there are no extraneous circumstances affecting your kid's ability, then I see that as laziness or unwillingness on your child's part to work hard enough.

It frustrates me to no avail to see kids just wasting the resources they have available to them, and for their parents to turn around and claim we'd be "Taking away college seats from deserving citizens and legal residents." Um, sorry, but if your child is really that deserving, they'd get into college, regardless of whether a Dream-beneficiary happens to also get into that school or not. If Dream passes, none of us will be responsible if your kid doesn't get into college, so get mad at them instead of being irresponsible and blaming their failures on us.

That's EXACTLY how I feel. There's really no way for a USC to NOT get into a decent school with a good amount of financial help available to them unless they're a total failure at life (or their parents make wayyy too much money and, if that's the case, well...they at least have the opportunity to get a job to help pay off the rest of their education). I'm so over that stupid argument. So, according to the antis, one minute I'm a gang banger/drug dealer who knows absolutely no English and the next, well, I'm just taking away a USC's spot in college? Huh?

And hi right back atcha Free! :)

vivace
08-19-2008, 03:00 PM
^^ Agreed, Hopeful.

All I know is that in California, illegal students can pay in-state tuitions for community colleges, Cal-States, and UCs by filling out the AB-540 form. That cuts the tuitions by about half, maybe even more.

Private universities do not apply to this rule, of course.

As far as I know, California is the only state that offers this.
But I've also heard that New Mexico and Texas do the same thing.

ApocalypticLabyrinth
08-19-2008, 10:59 PM
I live on VA which is perhaps one of the most anti-illegal states concerning students. It really sucks, the community college I went was costly, for 1 credit it's 273.40 and most classes are 3 which ends up being 820.20. I graduated from HS in 2005 with a 3.6 GPA and I went one semester taking one class. I never went back, now I'm unemployed and I'll potentially work as a freelance graphic designer and I'll try to find as much information as I can on private schools. Perhaps that's my only hope for now, other than immigrating to another country.

sibby
08-19-2008, 11:37 PM
yea... VA just isn't the best state to be in as an undocumented.

daffodils
08-20-2008, 01:22 PM
^^ Agreed, Hopeful.

All I know is that in California, illegal students can pay in-state tuitions for community colleges, Cal-States, and UCs by filling out the AB-540 form. That cuts the tuitions by about half, maybe even more.

Private universities do not apply to this rule, of course.

As far as I know, California is the only state that offers this.
But I've also heard that New Mexico and Texas do the same thing.

We pay in-state tuition in New York as well. For CUNY, SUNY and whatnot.

taoni10
08-20-2008, 10:31 PM
for the SUNY schools, the instate tuition is just about 1k cheaper than the outstate tuition. The most expansive part for SUNY schools is probably dorming and meal plan.

Jose313
08-20-2008, 11:00 PM
well i know alot of people here in Michigan who are Undocumented(illegal) and are attending college i know one who goes to Wayne County Communty College
and i know another person that goes to Wayne State University and i know someone that attended Marygroove College(Private college) so atleast here in michigan its possible.

epfern87
09-01-2008, 10:21 AM
i had a question about in state tuition.....I got a highschool diploma from chicago,IL and i relocated with my mom to NY about 2 years ago...i am currently going to a SUNY community college but i have been paying out of state ever since i been here... I know NY is one of the listed states to offer instate for illegals but does anyone on here have any idea about my eligibility for in state tuition under this circumstance??

hrvatica13
09-01-2008, 12:14 PM
States that offer in-state tuition for undocumented student require them to have graduated from high school in that specific state... therefore you will not qualify for in-state tuition since you didn't graduate from a NY high school and probably have not had the required number of years as a NY "resident."

epfern87
09-01-2008, 01:17 PM
alright...what is the normal required years to be counted as a "resident"? do you know if non documented people are allowed to apply for scholarship?

hrvatica13
09-02-2008, 12:36 PM
alright...what is the normal required years to be counted as a "resident"? do you know if non documented people are allowed to apply for scholarship?

I don't know what the requirement is for each state that offers in-state, but usually it's around 3 years and to reiterate, you have to have graduated from a high school in that state.

Search this site for scholarship ideas. This thread is pretty useful:
http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=6520&highlight=scholarships&page=2

mcastillo2005
09-03-2008, 12:30 AM
hey i need to now too...
i have lived in tx since i was a little girl, graduated with honors from hs in 2005, and never tried to get into college......
I really am trying to now....
that dead end job getting paid $7 an hour wasn't making it.
I want to be somebody i can be proud of, even if it cost me a fortune to get there....
so if anyone knows about the colleges here in houston accepting illegals let me know please...................

jazz123
09-03-2008, 12:53 AM
hey i need to now too...
i have lived in tx since i was a little girl, graduated with honors from hs in 2005, and never tried to get into college......
I really am trying to now....
that dead end job getting paid $7 an hour wasn't making it.
I want to be somebody i can be proud of, even if it cost me a fortune to get there....
so if anyone knows about the colleges here in houston accepting illegals let me know please...................

The State of Texas has a law that allows Undocumented students who have lived in Texas for at least 3 year and have graduated from a high school in Texas to attend Universities in Texas and get in-state tuition.. so you are lucky and you should definitely continue your education

petepatelAK
09-04-2008, 08:52 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im also a graduate with a BME degree...graduated last may and its depressing have a good degree..working so hard to get it ...but its of no use.....lets all just be happy that being in the situation we are in.....we are lucky just to go to college and get that experience under your belt..........

...i acutally want to go to med school ever since i was in 9th grade...but i fiugred that if immigration shit didn't work out..then a premed degree was worthless........I WAS RIGHT...
i luckily got an I20...and the school never followed up on the F1.....the I20 was valid for only 4 years and i couldn't get it extended or anything coz i didn't have a valid status.........but i stayed in school and they didn't catch me....thats why I chose BME...that way even If I cant work...i still have a degree thats worth something in other well developed countries elsewhere...UNITED STATES IS NOT the only country to be successfull....u can leave a life elsewhere as well...

...im currently looking to med schools in london and australia.....if i get in...i will go back to my native country and ask for student visas...this time the right way.....
,,,,,i have a feeeling if i go back and apply the right way....and explain my story and dreams and the situation im in.....they wont deny me a VISA to go to med school....if london says no....ill be applying to schools in australia, canada, poland.............ill will look into all these schools,,and study and prepare for the GAMSATS, ukcats, MCATS here in the states....but my goal is to go to medschool by sept 09..

LETS not our status dictate our life goals and direction......WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY....so lets stay motivated and let be ambitious in life....and make use of our degrees...if not here..(iam waiting till these elections) then elsewhere....im prepared to get detained and sent back to my native country...........but I WILL make use of my education......

xxsary27xx
09-27-2008, 06:59 PM
UPDATE:

ok so i filled out the fafsa-i checked off that i wasnt a citizen-then they returned it to me saying that they cudnt process it at all :/
so then i took the fafsa that was returned to me and gave it to hunter's financial aid office...they took it and told me to put my student id number and that was it....i got to keep the scholarship :O)
then i had to go to the admissions office so i could get instate tuition..all i had to do was give them my parents tax forms [they are immigrants also but they pay taxes with their ITIN number]
i am now taking classes at Hunter College and will probably major in psychology. Hopefully i can get into their physical therapy program and the DREAM act will be passed before i graduate...to be continued...

guanacux
12-10-2008, 06:06 PM
I hope I can explain my concern. I have two cousins, they are both illegals, they came only a couple of years ago (2006 and 2007). They are in Illinois. Both of them have high school diplomas from our country.

One of them passed the GED and successfully enroll into college and now is getting ready to go to a university. This was great!

The other one flunked (really bad, not even pass one area) the GED. How can he enroll into college? without the GED? can he just present his high school transcript from our country and still be considered for in-state tuition and if not can he be admitted without in-state tuition?

I will highly appreciate any light on these as is been a 1 year now and he really wants to go to college but his options are running out.

Thanks!

dreamerhippie
12-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Erase / Rewind

Youguysareawesome
12-10-2008, 07:40 PM
If he lives in CA, TX, NY, or IL, or any number of other states, it doesn't matter.He can show them the diploma but Dreamerhippie makes a good point, he's going to have a really rough time in college if he can't pass his GED right now. My advice is to encourage him to study more until he passes it because it's going to be money down the drain if he fails his classes.

Ianus
12-10-2008, 07:44 PM
I hope I can explain my concern. I have two cousins, they are both illegals, they came only a couple of years ago (2006 and 2007). They are in Illinois. Both of them have high school diplomas from our country.

One of them passed the GED and successfully enroll into college and now is getting ready to go to a university. This was great!

The other one flunked (really bad, not even pass one area) the GED. How can he enroll into college? without the GED? can he just present his high school transcript from our country and still be considered for in-state tuition and if not can he be admitted without in-state tuition?

I will highly appreciate any light on these as is been a 1 year now and he really wants to go to college but his options are running out.

Thanks!The requirements are a US High school diploma or a US GED as a baseline towards qualifying for Dream act.I'd be more concerned about their timeline in the country than anything else.

bgsm892
12-12-2008, 12:51 AM
hey does anyone know any info about florida universities ? particularly University of North Florida ?

any info would be greatly appreciated...

i feel as if i should e-mail the admissions director but i dont really know what i would say at all...

guanacux
12-15-2008, 04:01 PM
not to be mean, but you need a reality check. first of all, if he provides a diploma from another country, chances are they're going to ask for a visa or a green card. clearly he as neither.

however, all that is pointless if your cousin can't even pass the coursework for a GED. what honestly makes you think he's prepared to go to college where the classes will be more challenging than a GED? i dont know if language is a barrier or anything like, but if it is, he should improve that before he even gets mislead into thinking that he can excel in an institiution of higher learning.

I don't believe the GED is a good instrument to measure student success in higher education setting. I've seen the curricula most colleges use in a 2+2 program at least, and is significantly less difficult than most latinamerican institutions. This statement is contrary in a graduate program, but at least at an undergraduate level it is most of the times true for community colleges across the nation.
Now the instrument (the GED in particular) measures how well you excels on that categorical areas of examination which is some cases are not touch later on the college coursework. It does not measure the student development through a course in which the student is at a learning process, where the variables in place are quite different than an examination.

I do appreciate your comments very much and I will transfer them to my cousin so we can better assess his situation and options.

Thank you so much for the input.

guanacux
12-15-2008, 04:07 PM
If he lives in CA, TX, NY, or IL, or any number of other states, it doesn't matter.He can show them the diploma but Dreamerhippie makes a good point, he's going to have a really rough time in college if he can't pass his GED right now. My advice is to encourage him to study more until he passes it because it's going to be money down the drain if he fails his classes.

His problem (in my own opinion) with not being able to pass the GED is that the exam requires a lot of self-discipline to study periodically for the examination without systematic pressure from a course as it is given in a college or a class. You see, where he is located right now, there aren't any GED classes available where he could do that. By these, I don't mean he is a great student and the GED is entirely wrong, but I'm saying he does not have study habits require by the GED in advance oppose to entering a college coursework where they practically hold your hand in the first stages (Those that have study at a higher educ. level outside of the US know what I mean) of college.

I guess one option would be to bring him here at Chicago where I live and find him some GED classes, anyone care to point out some information on getting to those in the south Chicago area?

Thank you!